Is my a119s focused correctly?

stelloy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just recently bought an A119s and I'm pretty sure my unit isn't focused properly.
Everything to me seems a bit blurry, or is it just me? The focus seems to be more all the way to the right of the frame.

I know my windshield isn't dirty as I have just cleaned it inside and out and also wiped the lens of the dash cam clean also.

The firmware is on its latest, v2.1.

Here are some frames (1080p @ 60fps, CPL OFF):
Okay, I guess the pictures aren't uploading correctly.

U4bxYi0.jpg
VceV6jT.jpg
lMl58Cc.jpg
2GV777R.jpg
vU0Ni4m.jpg
pXUArTk.jpg
bLfBTjj.jpg

There are the screenshots from my test

VceV6jT

lMl58Cc

2GV777R

DzqZgJi

vU0Ni4m

pXUArTk

bLfBTjj

U4bxYi0

Last edited:
Just saw your post on Reddit. It's best to post still pictures. Slight focus issue can be hard to tell on a picture taken while the car was moving.

Are you saying the right side is more in focus or more out of focus? In the first still, I can easily read all three plates. The one on the right is a little blurry, but the car is a little further away. Could be a touch out of focus overall.

Are you saying the right side is more in focus or more out of focus? In the first still, I can easily read all three plates. The one on the right is a little blurry, but the car is a little further away. Could be a touch out of focus overall.
I've noticed that the camera seems to lose focus the longer it starts to record.

Maybe it's the sd cards issue? I have the samsung EVO select 32gb.

I don't think that would be a memory card issue. I don't recall seeing any other users reporting that issue. That would be a hardware issue.

In your 24 mph, 18:02:17 pic I can see your car is in the shade of a tree overhead and I can easily read the mall sign up ahead. You can't beat that for clarity.
I would suggest you use your A119S with CPL on.
Your other pics have your car out in the full sun and you have very strong dash reflection.
To check focus I would park in front of a building with a solid brick wall and use it like a grid to look at the screen from side to side and top to bottom.
That would show up any distortion, if any, on your screen.

Last edited:
Would be easier to tell if the images where at 1080 resolution instead of 2400 resolution, but resized to 1080 they look pretty good on focus to me. Something has lost a lot of detail in compressing them but I doubt that was the camera. It is not unusual for focus to change a little at very high temperatures.

To check focus I would park in front of a building with a solid brick wall and use it like a grid to look at the screen from side to side and top to bottom.

It is not unusual for focus to change a little at very high temperatures.

In these photos everything is clear + that during continuous shooting, the focus gets worse. You can write it from post to post, but the problem is identified , or no one hears me, or don't want to hear. When you focus on the 119S is to blame the plastic holder(mount lenses). Replacement of metal solves the problem! It is tested on many DVR, including Viofo 119S.

To me these photos do not prove your point of view.
The curbs, trees, fences, traffic lights, poles, etc., are well defined.
The pics have the sun and shadows in various positions so you can't adequately compare them.
The reflections from the interior of the car are numerous to say the least.
I would try a test with the CPL on and drive in a north, east, south and west showing the sun coming from each direction.
Ideally I would use a test pattern/template to give a uniform result.
Metal contracts and expands in hot and cold so it's not fool proof either.

Мне эти фотографии не подтверждают вашу точку зрения.
Металл заключает контракты и расширяется в горячем и холодном состоянии, поэтому он не является доказательством дурака.

All this was passed several years ago on other DVRs and confirmed on my and not only my Viofo 119S, nobody canceled the laws of physics.

I've noticed that the camera seems to lose focus the longer it starts to record.

Maybe it's the sd cards issue? I have the samsung EVO select 32gb.

Possibly the plastic lens housing. Go to forums and look up the Viofo camera sections, click on A119s and read the plastic/metal housing post.

Reactions: gse
Back