Blackvue DR750S-2CH (video adjustment)?

dnichols

Reaction score
Country
United States
I swapped out my Viofo A119 for a Blackvue DR750S-2CH. I love the new form factor, the wifi, and the simultaneous front/rear recording. However, I'd have to say the video sharpness on the A119 was far superior to that of the Blackvue. The image appears soft, and even when the car isn't moving, I have a hard time making out license plates unless I'm right up against them.

I'm not too worried...I believe the video would be clear enough to show fault in an accident...which is why I have it to begin with. It's just that at $400...I was hoping for better.

I'm wondering if I need to do some adjustments to the brightness, etc. on the Blackvue, or is this as expected?

Here's a sample (admittedly run through YouTube's video compression). Ideas?

Last edited:
can you upload some original files to a file host instead, never good to try and assess anything once it gets ruined by YouTube

Have seen better focus before but I think the picture is a bit brighter than ideal which is not helping, maybe try adjusting the brightness down a bit and see how it looks then

pretty much any 2 channel cam or any of the korean dash cams like blackvue or thinkware do not have as good quality video as the a119. you sorta sacrifice video quality for the advanced features like wifi, automatic parking mode. im running a thinkware f770 and a119 up front at all times now so i get the best of both worlds.

although yours does look out of focus, wouldn't surprise me as blackvue cams have been known in the past to have focus issues.

What bitrate are you using for the solution? High or Highest?

Looks like it was recorded at high noon, maybe the focus shifted already ??
How about the first recordings from the morning, are they the same ?
Maybe try to park in a garage for some hours to cool camera and car down and then see what it say when you enter back out into the sun.

What bitrate are you using for the solution? High or Highest?
Settings are:

Resolution: Front FHD 60fps/Rear FHD 30fps
Image Quality: Highest
Brightness: was 2, now 1 as per jokiin's recommendation

pretty much any 2 channel cam or any of the korean dash cams like blackvue or thinkware do not have as good quality video as the a119. you sorta sacrifice video quality for the advanced features like wifi, automatic parking mode. im running a thinkware f770 and a119 up front at all times now so i get the best of both worlds.

although yours does look out of focus, wouldn't surprise me as blackvue cams have been known in the past to have focus issues.

I expected somewhat lower quality than the A119...just wanted to be sure my unit is not defective.
At the end of the day...as long as it provides evidence in an accident of fault, it will have served its purpose.

Settings are:

Resolution: Front FHD 60fps/Rear FHD 30fps
Image Quality: Highest
Brightness: was 2, now 1 as per jokiin's recommendation

not sure what options they offer for brightness but if it's a +/- adjustment with 0 as a midpoint I'd probably try it at 0, see how you go on 1 anyway, can always adjust further as needed

Weird if 2 are the default brightness, those are normally set to 0 as far as i can remember.

not sure what options they offer for brightness but if it's a +/- adjustment with 0 as a midpoint I'd probably try it at 0, see how you go on 1 anyway, can always adjust further as needed
The available scale is 1 thru 5 (with 2 being the default).
I moved it down to 1.
Hard to say if it made a big difference or not.

Weird if 2 are the default brightness, those are normally set to 0 as far as i can remember.
I moved it down to 1 on advise of jokiin. We'll see if it helps.

I moved it down to 1.
Hard to say if it made a big difference or not.

ok, wasn't familiar with the options you had, reducing it by one is a sensible adjustment, always hard to assess the change unless you have two units side by side as it really needs to be footage shot at the same time to be able to tell

ok, wasn't familiar with the options you had, reducing it by one is a sensible adjustment, always hard to assess the change unless you have two units side by side as it really needs to be footage shot at the same time to be able to tell

No worries. I appreciate the advice.
As I've said previously, I expected a 2ch system to have a lesser quality image than the 1ch.
I just wanted to be sure my particular unit wasn't defective.
As things stand, I think it's good enough for now.

Thanks again

I found the front camera to be a bit blurry as well. I also had this with my old DR550, and performed the same surgery on this new camera to make it right (remove the trim ring and adjust the lens). I don't understand why Blackvue is still shipping any camera, much less their flagship, badly adjusted like this.

I swapped out my Viofo A119 for a Blackvue DR750S-2CH. I love the new form factor, the wifi, and the simultaneous front/rear recording. However, I'd have to say the video sharpness on the A119 was far superior to that of the Blackvue. The image appears soft, and even when the car isn't moving, I have a hard time making out license plates unless I'm right up against them.

Why am I not surprised. And, you are right. A camera in this price range should provide the best video quality at a minimum or at least a very good explanation from Blackvue as to why it does not. But, like you said, the wifi, dual camera recording and features like that brought you over to the Blackvue side. Except in my case, all those "features" are so unusable because of their slowness or inconsistency that it really brings into question whether paying the additional amount for such a camera was worth with. Right now, I'd have to say absolutely not.

At least your Cloud connection is stable, no? At least you can stream recorded video taken by your cameras via your cloud connection, no? At least your DR750S remains consistently connected to your mobile hotspot, no? Those things don't work consistently for me and I can't get Blackvue to remain engaged long enough via email to solve those issues. So, my frustration level is high because unlike you, I geared all the way up with dual Cell Link Batteries and paid closer to $900 in total for my set-up that won't work consistently. Or, I should say for cameras and cloud service that is totally inconsistent and useless most of the time.

I hope those things work for you and that your only issue is video clarity.

Thanks for the post. I currently have the DR650s, bought three weeks before Blackvue released the DR750S, which was supposed to solve the problems of its predecessor (better image quality, better night vision, better wifi stability, faster cloud downloads and streaming, better G-sensing, better motion detection, etc.). How about all those things - are you satisfied with the performance of those features/functions?

Back