GitUp F1: any good for dash cam use?

VIOFO will add functions in new firmware for GITUP camera's?

Are you sure?

VIOFO will add functions in new firmware for GITUP camera's?

Are you sure?
I saw on another thread that jokiin was calling it a Viofo F1, maybe there is a plan for Viofo to sell it as a 4K dashcam while Gitup sell it as an FPV 4K Action Cam?

Oh ok then.... Tx

It will be interesting to see How the gitup F1 will Hold up in real life

I am very interested in seeing how the performance is In The Night Times

Of course I have my new viofo a119s in transit so I Won't be buying the F1 very fast I'm afraid

I saw one guy got a sample, looking forward to seeing something from that camera.
Pretty much anything will do at this stage

I saw on another thread that jokiin was calling it a Viofo F1, maybe there is a plan for Viofo to sell it as a 4K dashcam while Gitup sell it as an FPV 4K Action Cam?
My mistake, unless of course they do that, then I'll need to collect royalties :D

Gitup commented on rcgroups that a 90degree version will be available - like the original Mobius A-lens. Too narrow??

It also seems to have a built-in lens protector that can be removed and replaced with a CPL. Nice linked up thinking about action and dash cam functions.

I'm not sure, I have a Mobius (1) with ("old") A type lens and it's really a bit narrow, but then again, obviously license plates are far better readable than with a 165 degree lens ....

I'm not sure, I have a Mobius (1) with ("old") A type lens and it's really a bit narrow, but then again, obviously license plates are far better readable than with a 165 degree lens ....
If you use the 4K then the licence plates will be "far better readable" anyway since the pixels/degree will be about the same as 1080 with a 90 degree lens. The 90 degree lens will be for FPV use on drones.

If you use the 4K then the licence plates will be "far better readable" anyway since the pixels/degree will be about the same as 1080 with a 90 degree lens. The 90 degree lens will be for FPV use on drones.
That assumes that a) the lens can resolve 4K detail, and b) the subject is not moving quickly across the field of view. Motion blur (movement across pixels) can be more noticeable when you have a higher density of pixels. When reviewing my dashcam footage, most of the time car number plates are blurred due to relative motion between my camera and the other car during the exposure, rather than a lack of image resolution. Having said that, I haven't tried a 4K camera side-by-side with 1080p to see the difference with a moving camera & subject.

That assumes that a) the lens can resolve 4K detail, and b) the subject is not moving quickly across the field of view. Motion blur (movement across pixels) can be more noticeable when you have a higher density of pixels. When reviewing my dashcam footage, most of the time car number plates are blurred due to relative motion between my camera and the other car during the exposure, rather than a lack of image resolution. Having said that, I haven't tried a 4K camera side-by-side with 1080p to see the difference with a moving camera & subject.
Point a) is true, no point having a 4K camera with a poor quality lens, or with a poor quality windscreen!

But on point b), because of having double the horizontal resolution, the 4K camera can see a plate at twice the distance, and at twice the distance the amount of motion blur is halved. It doesn't help if the plate is close but on average it is probably more of an advantage than a disadvantage. The amount of motion blur should be about the same as on a 1080 camera with a 90 degree lens and they tend to work quite well as long as the camera is held steady. (OK for a dashcam but not so good on a mountain bike.)

yeah that part with plates / things suffering less from blur at a distance i have noticed, but then with the 1080p cameras i still cant read it, and skip forward 10 frames or so then you cant read it due to motion blur.

I dont quite know if this is why i like to have a long range camera in the windscreen and why they seem better at resolving plates as a 8 - 12 mm lens can do that out there before the motion blur kick in.

yeah that part with plates / things suffering less from blur at a distance i have noticed, but then with the 1080p cameras i still cant read it, and skip forward 10 frames or so then you cant read it due to motion blur.

I dont quite know if this is why i like to have a long range camera in the windscreen and why they seem better at resolving plates as a 8 - 12 mm lens can do that out there before the motion blur kick in.
For this reason I'm thinking about relocating my Mobius1 with A-lens (90deg) to the front windscreen

I got a new megapixel lens in the mail as i was never quite happy with the 8 mm lens i use to put on a camera, the new lens are also 12 mm so even less FOV on it.

Focal Length - 12.00mm

35mm Equivalent - 66.60mm

Fish-eye Distortion - YES, minimal

Black Vignetting - NO

Horizontal Field of View (HFOV) - 30°

Aperture (f Stop) - 1.60

Back Focal Length (BFL) - 6.45mm

Installed Filter - Daylight (IR-Cut)

Native Camera Sensor Support - 1/2.7"

Native Megapixel Support - 2MP

Thread Material - Metal

Optics Material - Glass

Last edited:
I got a new megapixel lens in the mail as i was never quite happy with the 8 mm lens i use to put on a camera, the new lens are also 12 mm so even less FOV on it.

Focal Length - 12.00mm

35mm Equivalent - 66.60mm

Fish-eye Distortion - YES, minimal

Black Vignetting - NO

Horizontal Field of View (HFOV) - 30°

Aperture (f Stop) - 1.60

Back Focal Length (BFL) - 6.45mm

Installed Filter - Daylight (IR-Cut)

Native Camera Sensor Support - 1/2.7"

Native Megapixel Support - 2MP

Thread Material - Metal

Optics Material - Glass

That lens should provide you with similar results to the 2.8-12mm ƒ 1.4 zoom lens I've been experimenting with. In this example it was set to the max 12mm zoom. The longer lens has proved excellent at capturing plate numbers and other details of oncoming vehicles and this effect is sometimes enhanced by the IR effect as it tends to bring out contrasts and details depending on the colors the camera is seeing, especially on the plates.

This example is interesting as the recently graded gravel/dirt road is causing a lot of vibrations in my vehicle yet the longer lens is maintaining sharpness.
12mm.jpg

Last edited:
I am looking forward to testing it for sure, only one problem it got caught in customs, so the 12 mm lens will have its price doubled :(

Yeah.
It really is unfair the customs can charge a 160 DKkr handling fee, when the gift limit is 90 DKkr.
Its not so much the taxes on these little things, its the handling fee that ruin it all, the tax are mostly quite fine.
And i dont get it the 160 DKkr is what a postal worker earn a hour, so he will have no problems earning his wages or be extremely slow ( which are not uncommon in public jobs )

So i say either rise the gift limit or lower that handling fee, as it is now it in my book is borderline highway robbery in broad daylight. :mad:

Yeah.
It really is unfair the customs can charge a 160 DKkr handling fee, when the gift limit is 90 DKkr.
Its not so much the taxes on these little things, its the handling fee that ruin it all, the tax are mostly quite fine.
And i dont get it the 160 DKkr is what a postal worker earn a hour, so he will have no problems earning his wages or be extremely slow ( which are not uncommon in public jobs )

So i say either rise the gift limit or lower that handling fee, as it is now it in my book is borderline highway robbery in broad daylight. :mad:

yeah we currently have a $1000 limit before the government wants a cut, they've been trying to work out a cost effective way to lower that number but the cost of collection exceeds what they can make, they'll keep trying though I'm sure

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
D F1 17
Back