Hawkeye Firefly 8S 4k (Coming soon!)

New 4K test video, now with chest mount. Forgot to warm up the casing before recording hence there's cloudy image at the beginning of the video. It will clear up gradually as the air is vented trough the back door. Also forgot to decrease the exposure setting and the sky is heavily over-exposed.

IMO audio is pretty good for an internal microphone. 4K works better this way as there isn’t as much horizontal movement. The trade off is increased shakyness as the chest mount don't absorb bumps as well as head mount.

Clips are recorded with 5min loop setting and joined with Machete, seems to work flawlessly.

is the 8S the same exact form factor as GoPro Hero 3/4? Wondering if it would fit the same housing. I'm pretty sure the buttons dont line up, but I guess thats what the remote is good for ;)

If it's any help I can assure you it shares the exact same form factor with Git2.

If it's any help I can assure you it shares the exact same form factor with Git2.

Thanks! I have a git2, which is what I was comparing it to. Looks like the 8S top and front buttons should line up the same as Git2, only the side buttons are different. Looks like 8S should fit my Removu S1 gimbal no problem (y)

Any mods done yet to increase bitrate?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Watch "Hawkeye Firefly 8S 4K 30fps 170° Action Camera Unboxing" on YouTube

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe. Can you please list desired bitrates/modes?

Hi, Falsificator from this forum manage to get higher bitrate in Thieye T5e and the camera didn't explode and I know it can be done :)

Bitrate thats work in T5e :
-3840х2160р 30к - 80Mbits
-2704х1520р 30к - 60Mbits
-2560х1440р 60к - 72Mbits
-1920х1080р 60к - 40Mbits
-1920х1080р 30к - 36Mbits

Maybe. Can you please list desired bitrates/modes?
Yes, was really onlly wanting at least this like the YI 4K has.

3840х2160р 30к - 100Mbits

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hello,

I´m thinking of buying an Firefly 8s, so I´d like to ask an owner two things, please:

1. Can the Firefly 8s record video while charging? (So it can be powered externally from a Powerpack while recording, just like the Firefly 6s can)

2. When making long video recordings, such that the camera will split the video into several consecutive files, are there frames dropped when the camera begins a new part file? (I already have a Firefly 6s, and it annoyingly drops a few seconds of video at the beginning of each part file. Maybe it is fixed in the 8s...)

BR,

David

Tjenare,

Yes, it can record while powered from an external power source as long as the battery is removed first. And yes, there are no dropped frames (nor extra like Firefly 7s has), at least when loop recoding mode is used (max length is 5 mins, haven't tested without the loop mode). For example the video (and many others on my channel) I've posted above is joined from three different clips, and as far as I can tell the playback is flawless on the joints.

Last edited:
Tjenare,

Yes, it can record while powered from an external power source as long as the battery is removed first. And yes, there are no dropped frames (nor extra like Firefly 7s has), at least when loop recoding mode is used (max length is 5 mins, haven't tested without the loop mode). For example the video (and many others on my channel) I've posted above is joined from three different clips, and as far as I can tell the playback is flawless on the joints.

Thanks for all the info, and thanks for posting the footage!

The Firefly 7s having extra frames inserted at a new part file was new to me, I´ve never heard of any camera which does that before.

Is there anything you dislike about the Firefly 8s 90 degrees camera? How do you find the quality in low light, please?

BR,

David

Is there anything you dislike about the Firefly 8s 90 degrees camera? How do you find the quality in low light, please?

I think that the people are mostly unsatisfied with the blown highlights which the camera produces on normal exposure setting. I did some testing with it and found that EV -1.3 was giving the best results on bright sunlight (see my channel), but that comes with a cost for shadow details. Many people have requested that the company would bring a low contrast / flat profile mode update but I don't know whether that will ever happen. Other than that I've been generally satisfied with the image quality. Of course there could be higher bitrate for better reproduction on detail rich footages but one just can't have it all given the price point (unless there will be a custom firmware but as the Ambarella A12 chipset comes with just one image processing core the hardware won't allow much room to play with).

I haven't used it much in low light as it's generally known that the small sensors these cameras have always give more or less poor results. For the better part of them you might want to check the Git3, or the much more expensive Sony FDR-X3000, and if low light performance is the main issue, then the super expensive RX0 which comes with a larger sized sensor.

Last edited:
you mean the 170 degree version is for $105

@nutsey any chance you're also looking at mods for the 8S?

I'm looking at many things and some useful mods for the 8S are definitely among them ;)

Nice, looking forward to it! I saw in your forums you mentioned there is an 8SE coming, that sounds exciting as well :woot:

Back