Just got the A119S and the video is blurry :/

winter4w

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1WH
Last edited:
Seems to be that your camera is out of focus...
Yea that's what it looks like. Any way to manually focus it or is my cam defective?

it can be opened and refocussed, but if you bought from @OCD Tronic they'll replace it under warranty for you so that you don't have to do that
Ok I sent them a message off amazon maybe tho @OCD Tronic can help me here on this post. I'm just a bit worried if I get a replacement it may have the same fault.

We can only replace products under warranty that were sold by OCD Tronic.

Edit: ah ok it was us, happy to help.

Last edited:
Viofo claimed that they improved the hot pixels masking algorithm, however my both A119S dashcams still fill night scenes with tons of "artificial stars". I doubt that cam replacement can remedy this issue, since it is not a sensor issue (for Sony sensors it is OK to have hot pixels), but it is a dashcam firmware issue (which has to effectively mask all those hot pixels, but for some reason fails to do its job well) :-( Wish I knew this before I chose this dashcam model.
As to image blurriness, for A119S cams which have lens holders made of plastic (instead of metal), the focus will always be wandering back and forth depending on dashcam temperature - it is unavoidable physics combined with the manufactures attempt to reduce the cam price by 20 cents or smth like that :-( Result: you fine-tune the focus when the cam is more or less at room temperature, and then in the car it gets hot when recording for a long time on a hot day, and the sensor gets out of focus again... Or if you refocus a hot cam, it will provide blurry image when it is cold... Only a metal lens holder would help, but I have not found a compatible one yet.
And one more thing: when experimenting with refocusing my cams, I came to the conclusion, that the sharp image circle the lens can provide is smaller, than the sensor size, so no matter how well you refocus, the edges will always stay blurry to a certain extent - I guess it is just an improper (cheap?) lens selection by manufacturer.

Reactions: gse
I think it's just wrong (cheap?) Choosing a lens from the manufacturer.

The 119S lens, which in my opinion is 95 ° horizontal vignetting, is more pronounced to lower angles than the 120 ° horizontal angle, which slightly reduces the blurriness.

Оригинальная линза Viofo 119S, горизонт 95 °.

Объектив сток.jpg

Объект V5NV трендвиса, горизонт 120 °.

Объектив TV Q5NV.jpg

Last edited:
There is no doubt this is an excellent dashcam and continuing movie whingers need to shut up because it is still just a dashcam for close up number plate/car recognition not an action cam

If Viofo listened to users, 119S would be even better.
VIOFO seems to listen to their users more than just about any dashcam manufacturer out there. At least they are trying, and actually have an online presence, so cut them some slack.

John F

VIOFO seems to listen to their users more than just about any dashcam manufacturer out there.
The presence is good, in terms of completions listened

Viofo claimed that they improved the hot pixels masking algorithm, however my both A119S dashcams still fill night scenes with tons of "artificial stars". I doubt that cam replacement can remedy this issue, since it is not a sensor issue (for Sony sensors it is OK to have hot pixels), but it is a dashcam firmware issue (which has to effectively mask all those hot pixels, but for some reason fails to do its job well) :-( Wish I knew this before I chose this dashcam model.
As to image blurriness, for A119S cams which have lens holders made of plastic (instead of metal), the focus will always be wandering back and forth depending on dashcam temperature - it is unavoidable physics combined with the manufactures attempt to reduce the cam price by 20 cents or smth like that :-( Result: you fine-tune the focus when the cam is more or less at room temperature, and then in the car it gets hot when recording for a long time on a hot day, and the sensor gets out of focus again... Or if you refocus a hot cam, it will provide blurry image when it is cold... Only a metal lens holder would help, but I have not found a compatible one yet.
And one more thing: when experimenting with refocusing my cams, I came to the conclusion, that the sharp image circle the lens can provide is smaller, than the sensor size, so no matter how well you refocus, the edges will always stay blurry to a certain extent - I guess it is just an improper (cheap?) lens selection by manufacturer.

So are you saying the replacement may be just as blurry? Also, I hope the hot pixel thing is not going to be as bad which I would have found this info before looking into it lol. A lot of videos I see have a positive review and the footage looks much cleaner than my G1WH.

The lens on the 119S decent because of the angle I think 95° horizontal vignetting is more pronounced to the lower angles compared to the angle 120° horizontally, which removes the blur a little further.

Original lens Viofo 119S , 95° horizon.

View attachment 33307

Lens trendvision's Q5NV, 120° horizon.

View attachment 33308

So I guess try to angle it 95°?

There is no doubt this is an excellent dashcam and continuing movie whingers need to shut up because it is still just a dashcam for close up number plate/car recognition not an action cam

I got it because I have heard and read so many good things about this camera. I am not looking for an action cam just something that can record better than my G1WH. If it can pick up plates around me I would put it down as a good cam.

So are you saying the replacement may be just as blurry? Also, I hope the hot pixel thing is not going to be as bad which I would have found this info before looking into it lol. A lot of videos I see have a positive review and the footage looks much cleaner than my G1WH.

So I guess try to angle it 95°?

I got it because I have heard and read so many good things about this camera. I am not looking for an action cam just something that can record better than my G1WH. If it can pick up plates around me I would put it down as a good cam.
I had a G1W-C for 3 years and it served me well as an entry level dash cam.
I'm very happy that I upgraded to the Viofo A119S with GPS & CPL.
Absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

Back