Wasted Money.

Brian Whitfield

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm very disappointed in this camera. It continues to slowly degrade over time. I've had it for about 6 months now and I can get it to work long enough to be useful to me. I'm about ready to throw it in the trash and take my lesson-learned about BlackVue products.

The problems include:

1. The proximity sensor stopped working altogether. I tried several resets, firmware updates, etc. No matter what I do, the sensor will not work.

2. The camera wouldn’t keep the correct time when I used the v.1.000_2017.07.03 version of the firmware. The time settings appeared to jump around randomly. Again, I’ve tried all kinds of resets, firmware reloads, etc. I updated the firmware to the oldest version I could find. I believe it is v.1.0004_2016.11.25. Now the camera records with the correct time, but about 30 seconds after starting up, it spits out a message that its “resetting the time” and then reboots. From then on it seems to work ok with respect to the time jumping around.

3. The camera puts out a ‘restarting’ message about every 20 minutes or so.

4. Although my cell phone is about 2-feet away from the camera, the reliability of the wifi connection is so poor that I can rarely copy a single video capture to my phone before the wifi connection drops out. I’ve tried two different phones and saw the same problem. Also related to this, the transfer speed is incredibly slow. It can easily take 5-10 minutes to transfer a single 1 minute video.

That’s ridiculous. I really feel like I've been conned out of $400.00. Is anybody else having problems like this?

Unfortunately, the tech support people have been useless and the vendor I bought it through (OpenSky.com) is uncooperative in providing me proof-of-purchase information for a RMA. I guess I'll take my lumps and give up. Next time, I'll get the cheapest Chinese camera I can find.

Yes - I've even had blackvue support texting back & forth to me. Before I could even finish one simple thought they would deliberately disconnect. I would get back online with them again, & they would disconnect again. then I finally gave up. If you're patient, & wait long enough, & presume they will flash some kind of fix, forget it. They'll simply offer you another - newer - even better this time, even more expensive camera - with its own share of problems. Speaking of which BTW, anyone have the new/improved even better 750 yet? Once the new camera line comes out in numbers, blackvue will have their hands full with those unsatisfied customers & all of us poor 65O slobs will fall to the bottom of the barrel of unimportance.
[emoji22]

Hmm proximity sensor is a rare issue but should be an easy warranty claim for our customers. Sorry that the company doesn't seem to offer any after sales support.
I quickly looked it up on opensky and it seems to be sold by a company called BlooPro? Doesn't really pull up much as far as contact details but looks like they sell to Groupon and B&H too

2. It might be a dead RTC battery in which case it would need to be sent in for repair/warranty
3. Is this on the factory micro SD card or only on aftermarket cards? If the camera is restarting, it will take a log of why it's doing so in the system folder. 99% of the time it has to do with the card though.
4. It should only take about a minute to download a 1 minute video, definitely seems like something is up. Possibly due to card speed as well.

Thanks BlackboxMyCar. I have experienced these problems with both the factory micro SD card and another class-10 card I tried. Same behavior.

I'm very disappointed in this camera. It continues to slowly degrade over time. I've had it for about 6 months now and I can get it to work long enough to be useful to me. I'm about ready to throw it in the trash and take my lesson-learned about BlackVue products.

4. Although my cell phone is about 2-feet away from the camera, the reliability of the wifi connection is so poor that I can rarely copy a single video capture to my phone before the wifi connection drops out. I’ve tried two different phones and saw the same problem. Also related to this, the transfer speed is incredibly slow. It can easily take 5-10 minutes to transfer a single 1 minute video.

These ^ are the reasons why I shy away from a Cam with WiFi ... no matter how cute it looks.

That’s ridiculous. I really feel like I've been conned out of $400.00. Is anybody else having problems like this?

Unfortunately, the tech support people have been useless and the vendor I bought it through (OpenSky.com) is uncooperative in providing me proof-of-purchase information for a RMA. I guess I'll take my lumps and give up. Next time, I'll get the cheapest Chinese camera I can find.

Best to purchase from a Retailer who visits this Forum ... or recommended. The 'Usual Suspects' are all jumping out of their skins to maintain exceptional Customer Service

These ^ are the reasons why I shy away from a Cam with WiFi ... no matter how cute it looks.

WiFi has merit for adjusting settings etc and perhaps very occasional use to transfer a single file, I feel it's not a great choice for regular file handling though, far better to just take the card out and copy what's needed

Welp...Looks like my camera system finally completely bricked itself this morning. I get two LED lights but no other indication of life. Of course, BlackVue continues to ignore my multiple support requests. Geeze...I'll never buy another Korean product again!!!!

I posted some of this on your other thread but your disagreement is with the vendor you purchased from: OpenSky.com, not Blackvue.

I bought mine from Blackboxmycar and the support has been nothing short of stellar. Same day responses via email, shipping labels and follow-up with the manufacturer... etc.

Blackvue has a section of their website dedicated to listing the authorized vendors and they specifically mention your exact problem "Legitimate distributors will provide support that unauthorized distributors might not take responsibility for." https://www.blackvue.com/distributors/

Since the unit is two weeks old, request a chargeback with your credit card against OpenSky if they continue to refuse support for the defective unit. Saying you're not going to buy Korean products because of a single defective unit isn't right. Their "authorized vendor" spiel is one used by most companies around the world.

Certainly don't want to sound confrontational, but I have yet to hear of a single person that doesn't have issues with the 650's motion detection sensitivity & not being able to have settings that allow for even the smallest bit of movement without going off ... despite flashing updates. Never mind all the 650's other warts previously discussed. Let's be honest - this is in NO way a perfect camera, & it's crazy high price (compared to other dashcams) makes that glaring issue even more evident. Blackvue survives, simply because it's the best thing going, if you want WiFi & a tiny camera format.
If ONE thing is certain, there will NEVER be a blackvue 650s (or its replacement, the 750) sold at Costco, where these kinds of ridiculous/frustrating annoyances assure it would get returned in very short order. Now THAT's how a company guarantees customer satisfaction ... not having to whine & complain to the manufacturers' distributors .
imo.

OMG !!
[emoji33]
[emoji16]
You could have blown me over with a feather.
Wish I would have known back in April .... could have saved over $50 AND got my money back.
I don't feel so paranoid about upgrading to the 750 if they start carrying it ....
Now, if I can just find some poor unsuspecting soul to unload the 650 on.
[emoji6]

Michael007 --
"your disagreement is with the vendor you purchased from: OpenSky.com, not Blackvue". Michael007 -- Your response is complete BS! OpenSky.com didn't make the defective dashcam system. BlackVue did. OpenSky.com just sold it to me. Frankly, I don't know many, if any, people who verify a seller is an "approved vendor" before buying a product. That's ridiculous. BlackVue should stand by their products. When I buy a new coffee maker at Wal-Mart, I don't ask them to verify that they are authorized vendors first! They would get a great laugh out of that. As for Korean products, I've never owned a South Korean product that didn't fail early (LG, Samsung, BlackVue, etc). I'll go no-name Chinese next time.

"Blackvue survives, simply because it's the best thing going,"... Now that's depressing. So, none of the 100's of different dashcam models available last longer than 2-weeks and none of the manufacturers provide support. Wow...just wow....

Finally, my product is about 6-months old now. It first started failing at 2-weeks. I've tried multiple times to get support over the last 5 months now.

It looks like Costco also carries a Chinese knockoff of the blackvue.
https://costco.com/QVIA-T790-1CH-Dash-Camera-.product.100317677.html
Very impressive stat's, especially heat range up to 176°f although the best micro SD card will have likely cooked long before that.
Anyway, I'd never heard of the QVIA manufacturer. Customer satisfaction doesn't seem to be much different than blackvue.

It first started failing at 2-weeks. I've tried multiple times to get support over the last 5 months now.

It's impossible for you to take responsibility for the mistake of waiting too long to deal with a defective unit.

It failed two weeks after receiving it so 100%, you got a defective unit.

Every company has defective units, even Apple with their new iPhone X..

So then you tried to get support from an un-authorized seller which did exactly what Blackvue said they would.

Did you try to get support from Blackvue? If you did and they replied they could not provide support for units sold outside their authorized distribution network, then you had leverage to proceed with a chargeback because the merchant was not supporting a defective product sold to you.

So like I said, it's OpenSky.com, not Blackvue that you have a problem with.

Don't get mad at us.

Last edited:
If you are looking for responsive MANUFACTURER support, the only company I can recommend right now for a 2CH wifi dash cam would be Thinkware.
They have a North American/English speaking call center and support staff (about half an hour from our own offices actually)
BlackSys is also in the works of getting some North American based support/contact

If you are looking for responsive MANUFACTURER support, the only company I can recommend right now for a 2CH wifi dash cam would be Thinkware.
They have a North American/English speaking call center and support staff (about half an hour from our own offices actually)
BlackSys is also in the works of getting some North American based support/contact

Our friend here would still have the same issue with both those manufacturers if he purchased outside the authorized sales network.

Thinkware:
"Warranty will only be honored on goods purchased from an authorized reseller in the same country of purchase."

http://www.thinkware.com/Support/Contact?page=Qna

Blacksys: http://www.blacksys.co.kr/eng/partner/partner.php

The truth is you have to buy from a store that will offer the support. Blackboxmycar is a great example of an authorized vendor and Costco for un-authorized sales.

How does one know whether Costco is or isn't an authorized vendor? Hardly seems plausible they're buying them under the table

On a more serious note, if anyone's passing Costco, will you pick me up a birthday cake? (I don't have membership)

:D

On a more serious note, if anyone's passing Costco, will you pick me up a birthday cake? (I don't have membership)

:D

Can't do that but I can wish you a Happy Birthday anyway :D
Phil

Back