What now?

xkcd0137

Reaction score
Country
India
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119-v2-vs-viofo-a119s-v2.30550/

With the help from fellow members of this forum, I have placed an order for Viofo A119s DVR from Aliexpress 2 days ago (http://s.aliexpress.com/UNF7vm2u). Though the order hasn't been shipped yet, I have to prepare for its installation and other stuff. So back on this forum to seek help on my doubts.

1) Hardwiring - Should I go for it? My car already has two 12V sockets, one at front, one at back, which are 'ON' always. I can use the front socket for dashcam, if not for the wire clutter.
Also, should I DIY it or get it done by some professional? I have few forums to guide me through this, but since I am shamefully illiterate at electrical stuff, I am afraid I may end up shorting something. Will the Ford service centre guys do it?

2) Fuse - I own a Ford Ecosport. Apart from the kit that Viofo sells, do I have to purchase fuse specific for my car for hardwiring, if I go for it. Where can I get them? Somewhere online or Ford service centre?

3) Parking mode - Though, I like and want this feature, I am not very learned about it, and its current performance/issues in A119s.

4a) Parking mode w/ Hardwiring - From what I have read, people hardwire their dashcam such that it switches on and off when the car drives. If I have to use Parking mode, do I connect to the fuse that is always on?? Would this drain battery?

4b) Parking mode w/o HW - I could just leave the dashcam plugged into 12V socket all time, as it is in 'always ON' mode. Would this method run dry car's battery??

5) SD Card - I have gone through all the guides and videos recommending MLC card but seriously after stretching my budget for this dashcam, I don't intend to spend half its price on a microSD card, and they are pretty expensive in India. Now, some options I have are below -

Samsung Evo Plus U3 ($25.51, Amazon)
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06Y5XBL8C/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_Lf-Qzb5JGNHY4

Lexar 300x U1 ($26, Amzn India)
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00HNWU26U/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_6j-QzbD1D1CKB

Toshiba Exceria U3 ($25.73, Aliexpress) -
http://s.aliexpress.com/fEvIrIzA

Samsung Pro Plus ($43.6, Flipkart India)

Kindly guide. Thanks.
xkcd0137

Are you sure that the sockets receive power all the time? From what I've read here, mostly such sockets remain powered for a set period of time once the ignition is cut.

Even f the socket does stay permanently hot, won't be ideal as leaving the cameras running for an extended period will drain the battery.

Installing and hardwiring should be a piece of cake for any reputed auto accessories installer. May seem daunting at first, but hardwiring using a fuse tap is quite simple. Search for hardwiring DIY threads here and you know where else...

You'll need fuse taps that match the fuse profile used in the EcoSport. Here a reliable seller, I've bought from them multiple times - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/107624

If you want to use parking mode, I'd suggest getting a hardwire kit with BDP (battery discharge prevention), these cut power to the cameras once the voltage drops below the selected preset. I use a Vico Power-Plus, there are a few others available.

Here's how the VPP works - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...tery-discharge-prevention-hardwire-kit.29922/

I'd get the EVO Plus.

Ordered the Evo plus.

I haven't checked the 12V socket for longer durations, but few bhpians have suggested that it does keep ON.

I am keen on DIY. There are some great threads on DIY too, but I will try it only if its fully 'fool-proof'.
If I have to go for professional help, i don't rely on accessory shops in my city. I'll prefer Ford people to do it.

I guess you mean that the fuse tap that is provided with the Viofo kit may not be perfect fit for Ecosport. I'll get in contact with this seller.

That is my doubt in the first place. Is Parking mode worth it? Worth all this extra setup with BDP and stuff?

Few scenarios I can imagine are -
1) Plug Dashcam into 12V socket and remove after every trip.
2) Hardwire dashcam to switch on only while driving.
3) Hardwire dashcam w/ BDP for dashcam to be always on to avail benefits of Parking mode (only if its worthwhile)

P.S. I am a bit conscious against Hardwiring. I don't want to lose car's warranty, which I know hardwiring doesn't lead to. But still skeptical about fiddling with electricals.

Thanks.
xkcd0137

I drive a 2011 Ford Focus and my 12v sockets are always live.
I think a lot depends how frequently you start and turn off your vehicle.
I'm retired and I generally use my car 2 or 3 times a day and average 14,000 kilometers a year.
It's easy for me just to plug in and remove my dash cam into the 12v as required.
However, if you are a frequent or commercial driver I would consider the hard wire option.

Ordered the Evo plus.

I haven't checked the 12V socket for longer durations, but few bhpians have suggested that it does keep ON.

I am keen on DIY. There are some great threads on DIY too, but I will try it only if its fully 'fool-proof'.
If I have to go for professional help, i don't rely on accessory shops in my city. I'll prefer Ford people to do it.

I guess you mean that the fuse tap that is provided with the Viofo kit may not be perfect fit for Ecosport. I'll get in contact with this seller.

That is my doubt in the first place. Is Parking mode worth it? Worth all this extra setup with BDP and stuff?

Few scenarios I can imagine are -
1) Plug Dashcam into 12V socket and remove after every trip.
2) Hardwire dashcam to switch on only while driving.
3) Hardwire dashcam w/ BDP for dashcam to be always on to avail benefits of Parking mode (only if its worthwhile)

P.S. I am a bit conscious against Hardwiring. I don't want to lose car's warranty, which I know hardwiring doesn't lead to. But still skeptical about fiddling with electricals.

Thanks.
xkcd0137

If you're not comfortable with doing the hardwiring yourself, as mentioned earlier, a competent auto accessories installer should be able to do it for you. You could ask the Ford service people to do it but I think they'd be reluctant to do so.

Where are you located?

You may want to reconsider using a Lexar SD micro card.
Micron announced June 26th they are discontinuing the product line.
I used Lexar happily for the past 3 years but I've changed since I learned Micron was dropping Lexar.
See link to press release below.
Micron Technology, Inc. - Micron Discontinuing Lexar Removable Storage Retail Business

I would assume that the 12 month manufacturers warranty period would apply regardless from whatever date they stopped

A couple of months ago I bought a nice high endurance Lexar card that's working fine and fully expect support within the warranty period if it failed

I would assume that the 12 month manufacturers warranty period would apply regardless from whatever date they stopped

A couple of months ago I bought a nice high endurance Lexar card that's working fine and fully expect support within the warranty period if it failed

I used Lexar for past 3 years and had no problems.
I chose to switch to a company that has a more stable future.
It's a consumer's choice to buy from whoever they choose.
I wish whoever buys a Lexar product the best of luck.

Update:
Received the dashcam yesterday. Took almost 16 days to ship. Checked it by connecting to power source at home. It did switch on, hence its working. Will install it in the car later in the next week since I have to send my car for some repairs as I had met with an accident.

Two things-
1) My dashcam has firmware 1.7. Is there any new stable update?
2) As I had mentioned earlier in some thread, the item I have received has f1.6 lens instead of updated f1.8 lens, whereas item description said A119s V2 on Aliexpress. I guess V2 is for just GPS Mount update. Lens update may be called V3.

I have the same VIOFO A119S, V2, 7G F1.6 Lens, Sony IMX291 Sensor, GPS, CPL filter, EVA foam pad, Firmware 2017.6.22 V1.7.
I'm using Kingston Gold Series Model SDA10/32GBCR, 32GB Micro SD Card Class 10 , FAT32,Performance 90MB/s read and 45MB/s write,
4K Ultra HD, UHS-I Speed Class 3 (U3), Made in Taiwan and I purchased mine from Best Buy in Canada..
I chose the 32GB because it has FAT32 and is designed to withstand extreme high and low temperatures.
My Viofo and Kingston micro sd card are working perfectly together .
I see Best Buy has a couple of stores in India and maybe they have Kingston micro sd cards.
One is in Telegana and one in New Delhi but I have no idea if they have the Kingston micro sd card I use or how much it costs.

I wouldn't change a thing including the new upgrades because it is working so well.
I have seen upgrades sometimes mess up a good unit that was working well prior to the upgrade.
If you have a problem obviously get the upgrade but if all is well I'd be cautious to make any changes.

All I want is my A119S to work when I'm behind the wheel and driving.
I have no interest in the parking mode and my motion setting is off.
I hope you have very good luck with your new Viofo A119S when you get your car back and install it.
Keep us posted.

Finally, got some time and installed the dashcam. I have placed the cam on passenger side behind the IRVM. I have stuck it to windshield with Gluedrops instead of 3M adhesive as I'll be trying other positions if need be.
Please check out the following video -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5RfNQ06q1ciYVZlU3hNWWpEMEU/view?usp=drivesdk

Is everything okay?
I'll post a Night video in next post.
There was some smell of 'burning' from GPS mount when connected to power source. What should be checked?

Looks okay to me, the focus seems to be fine, though you could use a CPL I think which would get rid of some of the reflections on the windscreen.

India looks like a fascinating country, but with cows walking down the middle of the highway and cars and motorbikes going the wrong way at times etc., I am not sure I would be brave enough to drive a car there, if I ever get to India.

Looks okay to me, the focus seems to be fine, though you could use a CPL I think which would get rid of some of the reflections on the windscreen.

India looks like a fascinating country, but with cows walking down the middle of the highway and cars and motorbikes going the wrong way at times etc., I am not sure I would be brave enough to drive a car there, if I ever get to India.

This video is with its CPL on. Dashboard is pretty reflective due to polish by service guys. Focus is okay, but video seemed a bit sharper. Can I correct it? Also, should I mount somewhere else or this is good enough?

Its not exactly a highway. These are city roads but yes, this happens on highways too, just not all at once. Alas, Traffic sense and value of life is pretty less in many parts of our nation.

Thank you.

Dashboard is pretty reflective due to polish by service guys

A service clean is nice but you need to remove whatever rubbish they used and if needed buy or make a dashmat

Some more videos from my dashcam -
Day -
Night -

Some more videos from my dashcam -
Day -
Night -
Looks like your unit is working well.
I don't think you have to do much to minimize dash reflection.
I just lowered my lens a bit and adjusted the Exposure and it's good.
Enjoy it.

Looks like your unit is working well.
I don't think you have to do much to minimize dash reflection.
I just lowered my lens a bit and adjusted the Exposure and it's good.
Enjoy it.

Yup, its just about okay. But it suffers from dead pixels too. I'll upload another video showing that.

Back