Home security DVR and cameras for car?

D

Deleted member 37895

Has anyone used a home security DVR? The Lorex units seem to be very good and they take a 12v input. For about $300 you'd have 360 degree coverage (90 degrees per camera) and can set whatever framerate and video quality you want. But I'm wondering if the fluctuating voltage of a car will damage one of those DVRs.

Been there and can not recommend it, not even to a enemy of mine.
Ok mine was a dedicated 4 channel DVR for mobile use, but the analog cameras just dont cut it, the only thing that count and work are 1080p cameras with 15 or higher mbit bitrate on each camera.

Why not analog? From what I've seen, analog DVRs work just as well with much less hassle. Plug in and it works

Why not analog? From what I've seen, analog DVRs work just as well with much less hassle. Plug in and it works

Analog can be viable and there are some good deals available theses days because the technology has been around quite awhile. There is even some new stuff coming to market with newer chipsets with higher resolution and performance. The bottom line though is that it is yesterday's technology and is fast becoming obsolete, if it isn't already.

This was what i got using Sony effio E & S cameras ( 700 TVL )

Okay this was years ago and you can get cameras with more TVL now, but i will still say its not a avenue i would walk or send anyone down myself.

Shortly you will be able to get dual channel dashcams with 2 small remote cameras on a wire, and within a reasonable time you will be able to get a worthwhile quad channel setup too.
You can get a quad 1080p channel camera even now, but they have a very low bitrate on each channel so i would not go there, unless something major change ( compression method ) then you need at least 15 mbit for each channel, and if you could get 18 - 25 mbit it would not hurt.

I guess the main issue is power. The DVR needs continuous power or manual shut down and startup. The Lorex analog 4 channel unit uses 10 watts so it should be fine running 24/7 on a battery, as long as there is some way to get it clean 12V power. I can't find any device that does that though.

I guess the main issue is power. The DVR needs continuous power or manual shut down and startup. The Lorex analog 4 channel unit uses 10 watts so it should be fine running 24/7 on a battery, as long as there is some way to get it clean 12V power. I can't find any device that does that though.

maybe have a look at the forums here https://store.mp3car.com/ the work they did previously on power supplies for in car computer systems may help you work something out

Most CCTV DVRs happen to run on 12 Volts anyway via a wall-wart. Many can run fine off a battery of sufficient capacity. Either way, whatever type of 12V DVR you use there are a number of excellent power banks on the market that output 12 volts.

(No battery source will provide 24/7 operation)

Examples:

MAXOAK 50000mAh 6 Port (5/12/20v) powerbank

Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 23000mAh Power Bank 4.5A DC (5V/9V/12V/16V/19V/20V

TalentCell Rechargeable 72W 132WH - 12V/11000mAh - 9V/14500mAh - 5V/26400mAh
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-R...rd_wg=9UJ5D&psc=1&refRID=P1VBQWF3GT63BXREKS2J
RAVPower 23000mAh Portable Charger 4.5A DC Output External Battery Pack (3-Port, 9V/12V/16V/19V/20V

Last edited:
I just realized the analog cameras aren't powered by the cable, each camera needs an AC adapter... That's a significant disadvantage. I think I'll go with IP cameras instead.

Lorex says on their site that if the DVR loses power the video will be retained from before shutdown-- If that's true and the DVR somehow protects the last recorded files, that's great. My car has an AC plug that I could use that would just be powered down when the vehicle is turned off

Yeah I think some of the things they were doing with in car PC is likely superceded by better options these days but I do recall stable power was an important part of what they were doing and the requirements of the DVR are similar to a PC so thought perhaps you might find some information there to steer you in the right direction at least

I've been thinking about a home security system, your two replies helped my decision. However it won't be till next year, the truck comes first.
:cool:

The prices for a decent HD IP multi-camera DVR system have come WAY down in the last few years. While you can't just expect that it can just, "Plug in and work", either analog or digital, they are not at all too hard to set-up for your particular situation once you figure out the settings. When you're ready to purchase they may be even cheaper. :)

There are a few options now to get a HD signal over coaxial cable, so people wanting to upgrade a old analog system can often reuse their old wiring and just put up new cameras and change to a DVR supporting these new ways of doing things.

My friends and mine new 4 channel Dahua NVRs have been pretty plug and play, unlike my old Dahua 4 channel NVR that was no way near that, at least not with non Dahua cameras.
But the new boxes have been all P&P even with cheapo china IP cameras, so that's pretty nice as that network stuff are not a favorite field of me to work in.

You off course get use of the full functionality with same brand cameras and recorder, with the cheap cameras thats not always a given fact that you can get camera and NVR to play ball 100%, but the ordinary features like providing a feed and the box recording it so far have seemed to work fine for us.

My little NVR also run on 12V input, and if you like to use the POE it also support you just have to plug in the 48V PSU too ( i dont use POE )

What you also have to factor in a DVR / NVR have a much slower start up time than any dashcam, and for mobile use you will have to put a SSD in for storage as it is doubtfull a spinning HDD can handle the bumps and environment in a car.

Maybe is better to think for an IP Camera 360 degrees.
Here is a sample mounted in the car but the YouTube is not so good for viewing these videos:

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
There are a few options now to get a HD signal over coaxial cable, so people wanting to upgrade a old analog system can often reuse their old wiring and just put up new cameras and change to a DVR supporting these new ways of doing things.

My friends and mine new 4 channel Dahua NVRs have been pretty plug and play, unlike my old Dahua 4 channel NVR that was no way near that, at least not with non Dahua cameras.
But the new boxes have been all P&P even with cheapo china IP cameras, so that's pretty nice as that network stuff are not a favorite field of me to work in.

You off course get use of the full functionality with same brand cameras and recorder, with the cheap cameras thats not always a given fact that you can get camera and NVR to play ball 100%, but the ordinary features like providing a feed and the box recording it so far have seemed to work fine for us.

My little NVR also run on 12V input, and if you like to use the POE it also support you just have to plug in the 48V PSU too ( i dont use POE )

Some don't have a separate 48V input, the Lorex have only a 12v

You're right, the startup time is an issue

Why to use a DVR when you can use a simple and $50 HD or FullHD IP camera which can also record on the card? Many cameras are 5V or 12V input, have IR motion detect and a lot of other functions, even mic and speaker. And if you are parking the car near your home wireless you can have even more features by connecting your camera at your smartphone or PC.
You can even think to a 360 degrees camera and have just one unit and save car battery:

enjoy,
Mtz

Why to use a DVR when you can use a simple and $50 HD or FullHD IP camera which can also record on the card? Many cameras are 5V or 12V input, have IR motion detect and a lot of other functions, even mic and speaker. And if you are parking the car near your home wireless you can have even more features by connecting your camera at your smartphone or PC.
You can even think to a 360 degrees camera and have just one unit and save car battery:

enjoy,
Mtz
Because there is no such camera that is actually good. And the WHOLE POINT of a DVR is to have more than a few hours. If you're happy with microSD, why not just use a normal dashcam?

I have two security cameras that supposedly record to SD, a D-Link and a Bosch. Neither actually works. The D-Link did record to microSD for a while, then it just stopped doing it, and no amount of formatting or card switching gets it to work again.

I have no idea what need you'd have for "wifi"

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are enabling Motion Detect for the camera it can record for days, not just hours on a 64GB card
I am not discussing here if a camera is good or bad or a brand or another. A camera which claims it will record on its card should record. If this was not possible then all cameras were out from the market now.

My previous YouTube video was obtained by playback of a recorded video which was on the camera mounted in the car. I was in my room and accessing the camera SD Card using my network which means wireless connection between my smartphone - network - camera wi-fi mounted in the car. For this is needed the Wi-Fi because the tested camera is only Wi-Fi and to connecting with it is needed this Wi-Fi connection. Wi-Fi.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back