WR1 Failure

Warranty service doesn't get me a refund. It just replaces a poorly designed unreliable product with the same thing. Plus having to pay for shipping.

I think Viofo knows the WR1 is a dud. There is no support for it. It is a wifi camera with slow file transfer speeds and they didn't even make the firmware so you could record 1 minute files.

We got one firmware update that was supposed to make wifi file transfer speeeds faster but I didn't see any difference. The other change was:
  1. Improved: Not support disable auto recording while external charger plugged
So they improved not supporting disabling something? There are so many double negstives in that sentence that I have no idea what it means.

I would have to disagree with your assessment. I've had a camera since very shortly before it was released to the public, so probably apart from other testers who had one a bit earlier, the longest period certainly of anyone who bought one.

Mine is permanently in my car and used daily. I never drive without it. I can only remember in the entire period I've owned it of 1 missing recording. It's never broken down or had any issues. In fact I'd say it has been entirely reliable and totally fit and forget, so far at least.

As for the WiFi, I've mentioned this is another thread, but why do you want to transfer large files via WiFi? Wifi is more suited to making camera adjustments that downloading 300mb+ files. You're expecting a £60 dashcam to have the WiFi speeds of a £700 Smart Phone or dedicated home WiFi router which itself costs more than whole camera.

To put it simply, if you want to get recordings off the device, why not use a USB cable and a pc? That's what I do on mine as I don't have a Smart Phone and it takes only a second or so to cut and paste an entire 300mb+ file from WR1 to pc. It's far easier. WiFi is best for adjustments.

I downgraded the firmware and have been running it a week without a problem so will see.

Sounds a bit as if the Firmware didn't upgrade properly given there have been no other reports that I've read on here of anyone else having WiFi issues following an upgrade. Firmware updating is always risky as it can brick or adversely affect any device. My advice with firmware is only upgrade it if you really need to. Your choices now are stay with what's working, or risk another attempt. Just make sure you 100% follow the procedure if you attempt it again (not saying you didn't the first time, but it can happen sometimes that something is pressed or disconnected slightly too early, or you can simply follow the procedure and get unlucky).

As for the WiFi, I've mentioned this is another thread, but why do you want to transfer large files via WiFi? Wifi is more suited to making camera adjustments that downloading 300mb+ files. You're expecting a £60 dashcam to have the WiFi speeds of a £700 Smart Phone or dedicated home WiFi router which itself costs more than whole camera.

To put it simply, if you want to get recordings off the device, why not use a USB cable and a pc? That's what I do on mine as I don't have a Smart Phone and it takes only a second or so to cut and paste an entire 300mb+ file from WR1 to pc. It's far easier. WiFi is best for adjustments.

Yes it is definitely easier to call someone to help me carry my desk outside with my PC on it and 100 foot extension cord to download from the camera. How does this work if I get in an accident? Do I ask the cop to come to my house so I can download the file to the PC or do I just carry my PC on my desk in a trailer with a 25 mile extension cord?

If you aren't going to use the wifi why not get a dash cam with a screen? Much easier to make adjustments with a screen.

By the way you can get wifi routers for half the price of this dash cam.
Sounds a bit as if the Firmware didn't upgrade properly given there have been no other reports that I've read on here of anyone else having WiFi issues following an upgrade. Firmware updating is always risky as it can brick or adversely affect any device. My advice with firmware is only upgrade it if you really need to. Your choices now are stay with what's working, or risk another attempt. Just make sure you 100% follow the procedure if you attempt it again (not saying you didn't the first time, but it can happen sometimes that something is pressed or disconnected slightly too early, or you can simply follow the procedure and get unlucky).

I downgraded to the original version. About a week later I went to download a file and half way through the camera crashed. Had to reboot 3 times to get it to come back but I think that is because I didn't wait long enough for it to shut off after the crash because of course I couldn't see the red led go off as it isn't visible in daylight.

There are about 5 reviews of this camera at Amazon and 4 give it one or two stars. As one reviewer wrote, the speed upgrade didn't do a thing to increase file transfers and Viofo knows it is a failure so doesnt support it any longer.

An app upgrade months later guys. Says fixes. Fixes what the whole app I hope

Yes it is definitely easier to call someone to help me carry my desk outside with my PC on it and 100 foot extension cord to download from the camera. How does this work if I get in an accident? Do I ask the cop to come to my house so I can download the file to the PC or do I just carry my PC on my desk in a trailer with a 25 mile extension cord?

Why are you so desperate to give it to the police officer at the scene? I wouldn't hand anything over unless I've first reviewed it to ensure it contains nothing to in any way incriminate me. That's a fools errand.

I'd simply keep quiet, remove the camera if the car isn't drivable, download it at home, review, then if suitable, take it down to the police station and submit it as evidence. Any questions (which I doubt there will be) - In all of the excitement (or stress) I forgot I had a camera in there.

If you aren't going to use the wifi why not get a dash cam with a screen? Much easier to make adjustments with a screen.

Then you lose the small form factor. Swings and roundabouts discrete vs LCD. Besides, that was my choice. I did actually have a smart phone, then I dropped it a week before the WR1 arrived...

I've not had any issues not being able to adjust it. It's been fine out of the box.

By the way you can get wifi routers for half the price of this dash cam.

Yep but they don't have a camera inside do they (which costs) and they're powered from mains.

Even without the cost of the camera chips, sensor lens etc, try fitting one of those routers into that golf ball sized case. You can't fit a home router in a dashcam case (unless it's a very big dashcam!). Then there's the power and overheating issues.

To me it totally baffles me that anyone would want to transfer huge video files via Wifi at the road side. Not to mention many people will have laptops or IPads that they can do a USB transfer to, and if not, then home is the option, plus as I said above, I'd never hand over any footage without reviewing it or editing it for length first. What happens if you did something wrong that contributed to the accident but hadn't realised it contributed? Also, what happens if the camera lies - they do, unless the angle of view is exactly the same as yours which isn't possible without a sun visor mount. - I remember not long ago I was behind a car that was weaving all over the road, obviously drunk. The woman stopped near to where I lived so I went in the house to call the police and review the footage. From the dashcam, there was no evidence of her errant driving at all because mounted in the centre it couldn't see past the car in front, and when there was no other vehicle between us, her drifts were so subtle when viewed from a centre angle that they didn't appear adverse. The footage was totally useless in essence.

I downgraded to the original version. About a week later I went to download a file and half way through the camera crashed. Had to reboot 3 times to get it to come back but I think that is because I didn't wait long enough for it to shut off after the crash because of course I couldn't see the red led go off as it isn't visible in daylight.

There are about 5 reviews of this camera at Amazon and 4 give it one or two stars. As one reviewer wrote, the speed upgrade didn't do a thing to increase file transfers and Viofo knows it is a failure so doesnt support it any longer.

I can't comment on Viofo's position regarding the camera. However, as I said, if you're expecting home WiFi or £700 smart phone speeds from a tiny £60 dascham, then you're dreaming. There isn't the room, money or thermal ability to provide that. Plus see my comments above on why you don't want to hand over footage at the roadside.

As for the reviews on WiFi, the trouble these days is some people simply can't be arsed to wait until they get home and then break a USB cable out. If you're one of those fine, but be aware there will be a speed and time penalty as a result.

if you're expecting home WiFi or £700 smart phone speeds from a tiny £60 dascham, then you're dreaming.

+1000 :p

Actually I do expect that a much improved wifi will happen with dashcams but not soon, not with less than top-priced cams, and never with the speeds seen in home routers etc. due ti those heat and size constraints mentioned :( The SOC approach currently used means that cam manufacturers are limited to what's chips are offered, but one day some smart person will design a chipset specifically for dashcams permitting features like this to be much better than we have now :)

Why are you so desperate to give it to the police officer at the scene? I wouldn't hand anything over unless I've first reviewed it to ensure it contains nothing to in any way incriminate me. That's a fools errand.

That's why yiu have a wifi camera, so you can review and download the footage while waiting for the cops.

To me it totally baffles me that anyone would want to transfer huge video files via Wifi at the road side.

Because it is a heck of a lot less time and money proving innocence at the scene than having to take time off work to go to court. 3 minute files aren't huge and if Viofo was thinking they would allow one minute files.

As for the reviews on WiFi, the trouble these days is some people simply can't be arsed to wait until they get home and then break a USB cable out. If you're one of those fine, but be aware there will be a speed and time penalty as a result.

So being able to download on a USB cable but losing a half a days time and pay going to court to fight a ticket is faster than a 3 minute wifi transfer at the scene and not going to court?

While driving to work yesterday my WR1 beeps 3 times at power up to let me know it is working. When I get to work and shut off the engine I don't get the single beep at power down like I should. When coming home from work it gives me the 3 beeps at power up and I use the app to go into live view. About 6 minutes into my drive the live view picture freezes. I restart the app but it won't connect to the camera via wifi.

So when I get home I download the last file when going to work and go to play it. I am presented with a frozen picture while the time and time slider on the video player increment as if it is playing a video but it continues to show the still picture.

I suspect I am going to see the same thing when I download the file coming home fron work. Temperature was around 60 degrees F.

At no time did the camera beep to tell me that it wasn't recording. So the beeping feature is completely useless. I can no longer rely on this camera and will be sending it back for warranty service or using the 90 day return protection on my credit card.

While driving to work yesterday my WR1 beeps 3 times at power up to let me know it is working. When I get to work and shut off the engine I don't get the single beep at power down like I should. When coming home from work it gives me the 3 beeps at power up and I use the app to go into live view. About 6 minutes into my drive the live view picture freezes. I restart the app but it won't connect to the camera via wifi.

So when I get home I download the last file when going to work and go to play it. I am presented with a frozen picture while the time and time slider on the video player increment as if it is playing a video but it continues to show the still picture.

I suspect I am going to see the same thing when I download the file coming home fron work. Temperature was around 60 degrees F.

At no time did the camera beep to tell me that it wasn't recording. So the beeping feature is completely useless. I can no longer rely on this camera and will be sending it back for warranty service or using the 90 day return protection on my credit card.
The file that was frozen, how did you download it to the device you watched it on? WiFi or did you remove the card and transfer the file via a card reader? Are you watching on your phone or computer?

That's why yiu have a wifi camera, so you can review and download the footage while waiting for the cops.

You can't properly review footage on a phone screen, it's too small.

So being able to download on a USB cable but losing a half a days time and pay going to court to fight a ticket is faster than a 3 minute wifi transfer at the scene and not going to court?

I doubt they're going to write a ticket at the scene without some evidence of wrong doing on your behalf. In the absence of that, they're probably going to assemble all the evidence at the station before deciding whether to charge anyone.

Even if you did need it at the scene, a USB cable hardly takes up a lot of room in the glove box and will allow you to inteface with your phone (if you insist), an Ipad, ipod or laptop, not to mention your pc back at home.

WiFi is never going to be fast in a small cheap dashcam because there's not the money for the best hardware nor most probably the physical room to satisfy the thermal requirements of something crunching a lot of data.

The file that was frozen, how did you download it to the device you watched it on? WiFi or did you remove the card and transfer the file via a card reader? Are you watching on your phone or computer?

I downloaded it via wifi to my phone. I watched it on my phone but also transferred it to a computer and watched it there. Same result.

You can't properly review footage on a phone screen, it's too small.

Not on a 5.5 inch screen phone. It is plenty big. People watch all sorts of videos on phones including movies. I have even read posts from people who have shown the cops video footage on the A119's 2 inch screen to prive they weren't at fault so it us possible.

I doubt they're going to write a ticket at the scene without some evidence of wrong doing on your behalf. In the absence of that, they're probably going to assemble all the evidence at the station before deciding whether to charge anyone.

Even if you did need it at the scene, a USB cable hardly takes up a lot of room in the glove box and will allow you to inteface with your phone (if you insist), an Ipad, ipod or laptop, not to mention your pc back at home.

I don't know where you live but by me the cops always write a ticket. It is up to the persin who received the ticket in court. There is no accident investigation unless it involves a death. The cop listens to both sides, talks to any witnesses and decides faults at the scene.

Why do you need to buy and carry a USB cable and risk breakibg the USB port of the camera when it onky takes 3 minutes to download a file with wifi?

I also cant watch videos using Viofo or FN Cam app, until I download it first to my phone and need to reboot my phone to actually find video among other videos.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

I downloaded it via wifi to my phone. I watched it on my phone but also transferred it to a computer and watched it there. Same result.
I wonder if you transferred from the card to the computer via a card reader if it would make a difference. Since your having an issue with the WiFi, maybe the file didn't transfer correctly. Might be worth a try.

Also I asked Viofo for 1 minute video clip length and even this value to be the default. Also two minutes can be good.
People which expect to download the videos via Wi-Fi should set the 1 min. value.

If the WR1 is not making the final beep and the red LED is turning off right after you are disconnecting the camera the the super capacitor is dead.

enjoy,
Mtz

Why do you need to buy and carry a USB cable and risk breakibg the USB port of the camera when it onky takes 3 minutes to download a file with wifi?

Not all of us have a smartphone (nor do we all need or want one) :rolleyes: I'm going to get a budget-priced tablet computer for the workvan both to review vids from the cam's cards and for on-the-road web access. That will also run the WR-1's apps :) Till then, mine's on default settings but it still works well.

If done carefully, you shouldn't get any damage to the WR-1's USB port; these connectors are rated for multiple thousands of plug-unplug cycles ;) "Careful" is the keyword as they aren't designed to accommodate any physical stress and that goes for all cams.

Phil

Seem like many people eager to enjoy the perks of wifi get their fingers burned in one or more ways.

I would never hand over anything at the scene of something, i might hand out one of my e mail addresses and tell the person to contact me there, but that's also it for on scene information sharing.
When i was rear ended i just sent my insurance company links to private youtube videos from 2 of my cameras, they dident need it but said it was cool ( and no insurance cuts for using dashcam )
And then i shared footage with police on a idiot i reported via email, they also got a link to a private youtube video, and then later after i got media evolved for them to take action asked for the raw footage, which i out on a DVD along with a notepad written statement.

My general opinion are to not tell anyone anything and first give them a chance to dig their own grave, and then hand my footage to my insurance and let them deal with false statements and lying, and then they can give me a call if they need me to give witness.
And then i have told my sister that if i ever get bad off in a car crash she are to go to my car and take all cameras / memory cards in the windows of my car, and then keep them safe until i can deal with it, or she must cuz i have kicked the bucket.

I review footage on my PC, but i can also do it on my phone with a card reader and a OTG adapter, and i can put micro SD card in SD card adapter and playback on my cheap ass double DIN Chinese headunit, but really that i cant see that ever being needed.

PS. in 3 minutes i can transfer about 15 Gb from my card in the card reader to my PC.

Also I asked Viofo for 1 minute video clip length and even this value to be the default. Also two minutes can be good.
People which expect to download the videos via Wi-Fi should set the 1 min. value.

If the WR1 is not making the final beep and the red LED is turning off right after you are disconnecting the camera the the super capacitor is dead.

enjoy,
Mtz
The new firmware will add 1 min video clip and will soon release

Great news, thank you!
I expect an 1 minute video file to have about 105MB and to be downloaded in 2 minutes.

enjoy,
Mtz

Great news, thank you!
I expect an 1 minute video file to have about 105MB and to be downloaded in 2 minutes.

enjoy,
Mtz

Unless you have to though, why use WiFI for downloading? That 2 minutes would be around a second or two over USB 3.0.

I download videos via wifi all the time from WR 1 and did the same with Yi dashcam,its much easier to me and faster to do it like that than put out sd card from dashcam and use a card reader ( which I dont own ).

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

Back