JooVuu X: 1080p/30 HDR and FOV

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I'd like to change FOV to 120 or 90 degree in HDR / 1080p/30 mode, but for some reason it's stuck on 155??

Is that a bug, or for a good reason?

Are you trying to change it in the app or via PC? I vaguely remember the app displaying a message telling you not to change FOV when using HDR mode. I don't know the reasoning behind it, however.

Changing FOV to 120 or 90 degrees just crops the center from the sensor right?

Are you trying to change it in the app or via PC? I vaguely remember the app displaying a message telling you not to change FOV when using HDR mode. I don't know the reasoning behind it, however.

I hadn't thought of that, but I just tried, and whatever FOV you enter in HDR mode, it always stuck on 155..... d@mmit... it seems to accept the change in the PC app, but after reboot the camera doesn't take kindly to my request.... :eek:

So there is really no advantage of using narrower FOV?

In terms of sharpness you mean? Maybe, maybe not, I haven't really ever tested the difference. But I figure there is a way to use the whole sensor array / area to get better (larger) license plates.

I don't think the JooVuu uses digital zoom, or crop if you will.

Anyone care to weigh in?

That's why I asked. With the fixed lens the whole notion of adjustable FOV is kind of pointless as far as image quality goes. You will not get more pixels per inch even if you chose 90 degree FOV.

That's why I asked. With the fixed lens the whole notion of adjustable FOV is kind of pointless as far as image quality goes. You will not get more pixels per inch even if you chose 90 degree FOV.

Like I said, it sounds logical, and I'm planning to test it, but my question actually is:

"why CAN we change FOV in all modes, but NOT in HDR....??"

Like I said, it sounds logical, and I'm planning to test it, but my question actually is:

"why CAN we change FOV in all modes, but NOT in HDR....??"

I'd expect it is something to do with how HDR works in using multiple frames to create the image

I'd expect it is something to do with how HDR works in using multiple frames to create the image

Is HDR using double frames to create better endresult-frame ?!? Like those new dual camera's on smartphones (one B/W, one color)??

I don't think the JooVuu uses digital zoom, or crop if you will.

I've got a feeling that in 1080p mode the camera uses more of the (1440p) sensor and resizes the image down to 1080p if you use the widest FOV setting. If you select say 120 FOV, it may only use 1920x1080 pixels to record without any resizing. This would explain why when I use 2560x1080 @155 FOV, the amount of visible dashboard (width wise) doesn't change when swapping to a 1920x1080 @155 FOV mode. Try different resolutions at different FOV's with it mounted in the car and you'll see what I mean. If you use the very narrow FOV setting, it probably will crop off pixels and then upscale to meet the selected resolution. The only advantage that I can tell would be that the camera could allocate all of the available bitrate to a small section of the frame.

Back