"Real World" Questions on the DC

DT MI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than my wife thinks I need.
Now that the 'DC' is available and in people's hands I figured a separate thread is appropriate for questions about the actual product.

I haven't installed mine in a vehicle yet but did some 'bench testing' and am happy to say it appears to be functioning properly. (y)

Three questions (so far):

1 - When will the full owner's manual be available (if it already is - where, can't find it on StreetGuardian/support)?

2 - In the setup menu there's a 'WIFI' option ON/OFF. Can we get some elaboration on that? I turned the option on and the camera displayed a somewhat cryptic message and the only way I was able to get past that was to pull the power.

3 - Other than Dashcam Viewer is there any other viewing software that supports the 'DC'? Even if it's not generally available I'm sure there are a number of people here who would be willing to do beta testing to help development.

Last edited:
Nice, finally a new DC thread!

1 - @jokiin said he had a draft nearly ready, he'll say when it's live & posted on both .info and .cam support sites. (EDIT, Full User Manual now available as PDF)

2- We don't advertise it has WiFi but you're correct that it's there! :) There will be an official recommended app once WiFi is "officially" a feature, but here are 3rd party apps currently working in my own private testing so far. Maybe we should create a new thread for it at some point but here you go.
(Again WiFi is not yet an "official" feature though, not advertised yet)

SG9663DC WiFi iOS & Android App Testing

Working:

iOS:

NovaCam
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/novacam/id1053001488?mt=8

FN Cam
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fn-cam/id1012913378?mt=8

DOD Dashcam
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dod-dashcam/id1078506688?mt=8

Android:

NovaCam
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ntk.example&hl=en

Not Working:

iOS

FinalCam
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/finalcam/id930036477?mt=8

screenshot_2017-06-03-08-53-25-png.31351

img_20170603_084740-jpg.31353

Password = 12345678
(Again WiFi is not yet an "official" feature though, not advertised yet)

3 - DashCamViewer is the only officially Dual Channel GPS map playback supported app today, but I know Rick is in talks with a couple other developers to give more software playback options.

Last edited:
WiFi? Well there's a pleasant surprise!
Can you say what sort of features the app will have or will it just be viewing/downloading clips? Would be great if there was some sort of basic trimming functionality and sharing to cloud services!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WiFi? Well there's a pleasant surprise!
Can you say what sort of features the app will have or will it just be viewing/downloading clips? Would be great if there was some sort of basic trimming functionality and sharing to cloud services!

No Details to share yet

Oh wow, WiFi (y) what a pleasant surprise!

Jokiin,

Have you been able to try Larger MicroSD cards in the camera yet?

The 256GB and 400GB are out now. Black Friday is coming and I
want to get the Largest size that will work.

Thanks,
DaveM

256GB Samsung EVO Select card has been working for me all year long with my Test DC.
We've yet to buy/try 400GB cards yet.

I'm going to order some 400GB cards for testing, 256GB cards are the largest we've been able to test so far, so far so good on those but have only been testing about 7 months

WiFi we haven't mentioned as the app isn't ready, it does have some functionality with some of the public apps already though

Manual should be on the website early next week, have had some issues that have been holding up the progress on that just recently but will try and get it sorted ASAP

Is there a way to shut off the startup sound? When i shut off beeps it still does the startup sound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

not currently
I actually like having the startup sound especially when starting off in the morning. Let's me know the cameras are actually working without having to physically check the screen! Having said that, some sort of valet mode would be good for when it's in the garage or whatever....

I remember asking you this ages ago about a different camera, but is it possible to have it beep when the card fails and needs formatting?

it will beep if you stop recording (until you enter the menu or restart the recording), card isn't inserted, cards need formatting, if it has a communication issue with the rear camera etc

if you leave it beeping it will restart the camera based on the auto restart setting, basically will do everything it can to either prompt you or get itself going again

What is the double coated tissue tape used for?

I laid everything out today and inspected it. I am so happy there's zero play in the mount compared to my GC and a bonus that it requires a lot of effort to remove. Once all is installed, I will be applying the smallest dab of super glue to the rear mount; just enough that with enough force I can get it off, but for me to feel secure enough that it can withstand significant impact in an accident and not fly off... i'm sure it won't, just more a peace of mind thing.. it's a personal problem :p

Thank you for making such an awesome product with an equally great support. I will be showing this off to TacomaWorld today with an install guide.

What is the double coated tissue tape used for?

I laid everything out today and inspected it. I am so happy there's zero play in the mount compared to my GC and a bonus that it requires a lot of effort to remove. Once all is installed, I will be applying the smallest dab of super glue to the rear mount; just enough that with enough force I can get it off, but for me to feel secure enough that it can withstand significant impact in an accident and not fly off... i'm sure it won't, just more a peace of mind thing.. it's a personal problem [emoji14]

Thank you for making such an awesome product with an equally great support. I will be showing this off to TacomaWorld today with an install guide.
Please post plenty of pics here!

Please post plenty of pics here!

I will.

i figured out what the tissue tape is for. All good now.
The GC will go to my wife's car tonight to replace the Panorama 2

My rear cam cable is too short to reach from the rear windshield to the front windshield by about 6". Can a standard USB extension cable be used to lengthen the cable?

My rear cam cable is too short to reach from the rear windshield to the front windshield by about 6". Can a standard USB extension cable be used to lengthen the cable?

Did you receive both 3M and 6M cables? If you didn’t get the 6M cable send me an email or private message and I’ll ship you one. It can’t be extended. I sent out an email to all customers about that.

My next batch of DC will all be packed with both cables.

Back