GitUp F1 Review

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
@gitup kindly sent me the new 4K action camera to review.

This is my unboxing video and photos. Review video and photos to follow in due course.

y4mdlFEGP4xnsCinueNmbVoRl2HEbUwFKUt_UZqngvLH1UdYouHWsU0paBS_IZRKSforM-zRLowxytWKFeM0UcCWhbVczKZh6Sl_NKD0_xVO_pBRCf9-gUoW20DUT0DcoEQLL8_v9cv7Jyz18xBmQIqnUbhqiBoysDNiyvdQeWlLZrQmb4eEbjEr7plU5iqwqDyaWV0jE0TlUfrc-8C0gCDTA

y4mwTV-44W870_nv9u4jNFxa66X_OF-_RPoxsfjePNyOneAPp472FhGFJZgtUmeisa0axGulKv0TujZWXGtTcqkiQxM-nk3avG90hNRgenJRLZT0l6wHGFedf3qp1PVfY4xg7vlea5bkHwi32Kdn7N11nV7dj-YimJ69zEMIlxC8QUf1ew_ADdub83ho0bwPSEyUTl6F-q9uZAUbYxuXze3ZQ

y4m2NIpnr9wZ7Bu9LRE4u0HEtJNXMOGw1Ez-c219lXRlgXjgV8U107KBNMdsZCQ0O5xAXEvIVKdFgc4Ru33eszzzHl52hT0kK7qDBNmF7SNH2rsZIss1XyNpxiUZIiMp-AqjRe9fld_AwCOHa8kXlgoPASkCa3HE2ezzPYBFdH2S8ccoid_mSY8Xi3gn0e1_YuQQvUSTi2o6qFswTQug_HCkg

y4mZSx18wT2Q0eP40GTQ5A0kDoGkHCR9Z3YZ-tzKf8o6OwPCMjtQiaNL-Rw89xLdydGX6G2ZutjIvtP9ELif3zqwNBBcH3afRFZDroC1-HO17hgepVVNm9u8k7fdpy3RNXq-F31uIvD8VZA3dQe7Pa2KPZsmzE1QJpeYCGZEjr18-Kw9lMinZjx1CYCE3Pq3j2EkVHfUU4MRykDuqCMagVI2Q

y4m3B5S9cTGytW6Nc7oqW0yB36tU2bZET99-tEoaMNMToQdK4ywyum00QnSO5_9OCiq7CSy13sZsEZezbeZetBc2ahmsJxZqtR89-DkBd7MXKu1BkaI6eNZrOBtpKjccUo3D_xLjbVWNOUFL4pPsNsR9fP-KPgxNApKLmnvffJ9Hl-xCFNsriAGOJHiuyXImOenHmR07bI1s91RlVo3RSGvgQ

Last edited:
Daytime driving videos.
Exposure, colour balance and dynamic range are all very good. EDIT: The dynamic range could be better

Resolution - 4K 30fps
Quality - Superfine
WB - Auto
EV - 0
Sharpness - Medium
Colour Profile - GitUp
Video Bitrate - 61.7 to 70.5Mbps
1min file 460-520MB

Last edited:
I expect for a remote which can start/stop video recording or taking photos.
The interesting thing is that the remote can start camera even it is turned off.

enjoy,
Mtz

Screenshots were made in the video player MPC-HC:
GitUp F1 4K Daytime Video (2).MP4_snapshot_00.55.jpg GitUp F1 4K Daytime Video (2).MP4_snapshot_00.56.jpg GitUp F1 4K Daytime Video (2).MP4_snapshot_00.57.jpg GitUp F1 4K Daytime Video (2).MP4_snapshot_00.58.jpg
There is something to think about...

View attachment 34455 View attachment 34452 View attachment 34453 View attachment 34454
With a low sun and dark shadows at this time of year it is difficult for any camera.

For dashcam use you want it to expose more for the road an let the sky be overexposed - it needs the "Car DVR" exposure mode added.

However that image looks OK to me when you brighten the darker areas, there is a lot of information there.
It is spoilt by the dashboard reflections which because they are not moving with the outside image will be wasting a lot of bitrate and so loosing detail overall.

I've brightened your edited image:
y4mpv6ju57yJfEziZey6iEQyyAJVwR35t1UBZRpfXRoVFqriNzVW2REjXCYiOI-MQPcquWCXHV5xWI1mNslQ040V0lcCSZTw9IJJv1AsO30zioVsYus8rJcbQtSiuIKKCS8im7YIsYFFNCi0gxTvfS91RkMuOz0PY-S_at1JmOFtI_CsQjdlAMpr6kf9L15g_J3-KGmTH54cPpLMIzhoOv-3Q

View attachment 34455 View attachment 34452 View attachment 34453 View attachment 34454
I had some other cameras running at the same time, so if you wish you can compare this F1 video frame to them:

GitUp F1 - original frame (4K 30fps)
xx7lnLO.jpg

GitUp G3 (2160p 30fps WDR on)
EDIT: Deleted - Wrong camera settings

Xiaomi Mijia 4K Camera (4K 30fps)
3YfO6vi.jpg

A119v2 (1440p 30fps - please excuse the windscreen mount for one of the other cameras)
qwLNJ0l.jpg

Last edited:
I do not have a video left, but there are original photos with the same settings as in the video.
Bright sun, contrasting scenes, but nowhere there are surpluses of black color and the illuminated parts of the frame look more optimally.
Camera on the A12 processor. Just more correctly configured gamma parameters, black and metering...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jxGhN1ZptY4j8H9Z4IxKLL4COILxE3Tb

With a low sun and dark shadows at this time of year it is difficult for any camera.

For dashcam use you want it to expose more for the road an let the sky be overexposed - it needs the "Car DVR" exposure mode added.

However that image looks OK to me when you brighten the darker areas, there is a lot of information there.

I've been comparing the F1 to my Xiaomi Mijia Mini 4K camera (same IMX317 sensor and A12 chipset as the F1). The Mijia generally has a more neutral colour profile and a wider dynamic range. I should be able to upload some comparison videos & photos tonight. However I do note that in the example above the Mijia under-exposed the scene.

Hopefully GitUp can add a similar low-contrast option to the F1 firmware. It is a new product so it is to be expected that there is room for improvement. The good thing is that it has been completely reliable and done everything I asked it to, unlike the Mijia which became unresponsive over the weekend and appeared to reset itself.

Hopefully GitUp can add a similar low-contrast option to the F1 firmware. It is a new product so it is to be expected that there is room for improvement.
That's why I showed weaknesses that need to be corrected first...

Looking for better night video with reduced brightness and less noise, this was recorded with EV set to -2.0. This is an improvement on using EV 0.0, but it is still noisy in shadow areas. In these conditions the F1 would benefit from a lower contrast, less saturated profile. Hopefully a contrast toggle and a 'natural' colour profile can be added to the firmware.
4K 30fps / S.Fine 74Mbps / EV -2.0 / Colour:GitUp / Sharpness:Medium

Last edited:
Looking for better night video with reduced brightness and less noise, this was recorded with EV set to -2.0. This is an improvement on using EV 0.0, but it is still noisy in shadow areas. In these conditions the F1 would benefit from a lower contrast, less saturated profile. Hopefully a contrast toggle and a 'natural' colour profile can be added to the firmware.
4K 30fps / S.Fine 74Mbps / EV -2.0 / Colour:GitUp / Sharpness:Medium

That is how night time should look! However as a dashcam, a WDR option to brighten just the darker areas would be good.

I think the EV setting is a bit out, maybe the current -1 should be 0, then you would be using -1 for that video?

That is how night time should look! However as a dashcam, a WDR option to brighten just the darker areas would be good.

I think the EV setting is a bit out, maybe the current -1 should be 0, then you would be using -1 for that video?
I agree it's looking much better. I'm not so sure that a global EV shift is necessary, as the exposure is good in daylight. It just needs to have the gain turned down when the ambient light is very low.

Pretty good overall, but lacking in clarity/sharpness here. Still with all things considered it's shaping up as a good cam needing no excuses made for it, and I definitely like the form-factor (y) If we don't see an M3 or an M2 working the way it should, an F1 is in my future ;)

Phil

Pretty good overall, but lacking in clarity/sharpness here. Still with all things considered it's shaping up as a good cam needing no excuses made for it, and I definitely like the form-factor (y) If we don't see an M3 or an M2 working the way it should, an F1 is in my future ;)

Phil
If they swap the 160deg lens for a fast 130deg lens that would probably improve the clarity. I agree the form factor is much more desirable than many action cameras, for those specific purposes where you do not need a screen to keep aiming the camera all the time.

I'm about to pop the F1 on my RC truck for a quick lunchtime drive around the autumn trees. Can't do that with my A119! (well, not so easily)

Phil
It has 4x the resolution of a 1080 camera, but only 2x the bitrate of the best 1080 cameras so clarity doesn't always look as good when you zoom in on the pixels, there is a lot more detail overall though.

Most surprising thing for a 4K camera is that it doesn't seem to get hot, and it never shuts down due to heat like other 4K cameras, the IR thermometer says that my 0906 dashcam gets hotter!

And using the wi-fi with app because it doesn't have a screen only shortens the battery life by 10 minutes, it will still record for an hour.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
TonyM F1 0
Back