SG9663DC install on a Tacoma

venezian

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A139Pro
copy pasta from my TacomaWorld post.

I've been and still am a huge fan of Street Guardian brand of dash cams, even before dash cams were cool in Russia. :D

Anyway, i've had multiple models and finally got my hands on the latest version, a dual channel model with wifi.
There are a lot of good cams out there, but I stick with SG because it's been the most reliable and stable of the bunch.

First, Specs:
https://streetguardian.cam/sg9663dc

Second, the install. It took me about 1 hour to complete.

wwFhHuZ.jpg

The kit includes power cable with 90* plug, 3m (~9.8 feet) usb cable to connect remote camera, GPS Antenna, extension cable with 90* plug for GPS Antenna extra 3M VHB double sided tape, wire clips, stickers, Clip-on CPL Filter, dash trim prying tool and a quick start guide.

hWrn82Y.jpg

Cable with blue clip is not part of the dash cam install. It's for my Drone Mobile GPS antenna. Using the tool provided, I simply tucked the wire into the headliner towards the A Pillar.

LXRzB3u.jpg

Once I reached the A Pillar, I used the trim/prying tool to put the cable behind the plastic cover going to the rubber seal.

mxY5yLc.jpg

There's plenty of room behind the rubber strip. This is for the power cable so work your way down tucking the cable in.

yKP61TU.jpg

The kick plate trim is easily removed by a simply pulling up. Remove this first.

1wJHeVR.jpg

Then reach in the back by the foot rest and pull on the tab that is securing the plastic cover then remove.

yHWHMOw.jpg

This is where I wired my PowerMagic Pro to the a couple of fuses using fuse taps for a clean install. I cannot for the life of me remember which two fuses I tapped into. You'll need to tap into an always on fuse and one that's powered when the key is in the ACC mode and finally a ground. I used the nearest screw that was metal on metal for the ground wire.

The PowerMagic Pro allows you to wire direct and clean install. It also allows you to run the dash cam straight from the battery, but it also has a built in voltage meter so the battery doesn't die. There are new hard wire kits that install direct to the fuse taps, but I've had this device for over 6 years now so I'll keep using it. The only thing BlackVue produced that wasn't ****.

T9y1dj0.jpg

Here, I've secured with electrical tape and zip tied the excess cable and tucked in.

Once taped and tucked away, put the cover back on. Here i put the switch mounted at the top of the plastic cover. This switch allows me to run the dash cam with the engine off. It has a built in voltage meter to turn off the dash cam so the battery does not drain.

CHGxkIv.jpg

Positioned and secured the new dash cam and power plugged in. Now I run the wire for the rear channel camera. I do the same, tuck the wire in the headliner and work my way to the A Pillar.

affV1Y0.jpg

Once I reach the rubber seal, I continue to the B Pillar.

owthLbc.jpg

Keep going...

hkr30Iy.jpg

The wire tucks in nice and snug, all the way to the end. The cable was just long enough with maybe a few inches to spare. There is an optional 6m (20 feet) cable, but it won't be necessary for this application.

Ilcdq1j.jpg

Can barely tell there's a camera.

mYFme6m.jpg

I have the Drone Mobile antenna on the left. The dash cam center, and the dash cam GPS antenna beside the GoPro mount.
I have just enough room below the rear view mirror to hit the Event/Emergency button If I catch anything juicy. Pressing the E button will lock the current file in record and move it to a protected folder so that it does not get overwritten.

2XTLfV8.jpg

I love this! I can watch and save clips on the fly if needed.

DISCLAIMER: The power cable is on the bottom. I am using an old power cable from the 9665GC model I had. The new dash cam comes with a 90* tip. See the top cable for reference. I didn't want to remove and rewire as the straight plug did not bother me. The box also includes an extension cable with a 90* plug for the GPS Antenna. Again, I did not use it here.

AvwTBPZ.jpg

Screenshot from NovaCam iOS app. NovaCam is not the official app for this cam, but it works well enough. I don't know if there is an app being developed exclusively for this camera. There are a couple other apps for both Android and iOS I saw listed on the Dash Cam forums.

Finally, here's a 6 minute long video showing two 3 minute clips of the front and rear camera.
Read the description from the YouTube link. I will be removing the CPL Filter because of the tint on my windshield. I didn't have an issue with glare before and I don't like the WB and rainbow effect it's causing.

https://youtu.be/Xsb9da3l-ow

Last edited:
Nice install, looks like you're using an older power supply since the mini USB cable you have plugged in is not 90 degrees

FYI, You can use the included extension cable to make turn the GPS plug into a 90 degree one

upload_2017-11-9_23-7-34.png

Nice install, looks like you're using an older power supply since the mini USB cable you have plugged in is not 90 degrees

FYI, You can use the included extension cable to make turn the GPS plug into a 90 degree one

View attachment 34451

Yes, I thought about removing the power cable from my GC camera, but it sits behind the rear view mirror and it didn't bother me. However, i will need to put that disclaimer, and forgot about the extension cable for the GPS to make it a 90*

not a bad job there.
Power magic, The only thing BlackVue produced that wasn't ****.
you got that right. everything else is overpriced crap. but still i got rid of mine for my custom built model with infinitely adjustable timer for the time i wanted not jsut 3 or 4 option settings.

Excellent install guide and well written! Useful for those who don't even have this car. Cheers :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Excellent install guide and well written! Useful for those who don't even have this car. Cheers :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thank you.
I use to get crazy with the installs and remove the A pillar cover and took an unnecessary long time to install. After several install, I figured it was very easy to tuck the cable(s) in the rubber seal and down to the fuse area. Most cars will have the fuse on the side of the dash with a removable plastic trim. This truck happens to have the fuse below the dash trim.

Thank you.
I use to get crazy with the installs and remove the A pillar cover and took an unnecessary long time to install. After several install, I figured it was very easy to tuck the cable(s) in the rubber seal and down to the fuse area. Most cars will have the fuse on the side of the dash with a removable plastic trim. This truck happens to have the fuse below the dash trim.
just have to be careful not to route the wire in front of any airbags incase it might affect their operation by the wire restraining the bag on deployment or have the airbag drag the wire with it and something attached tot he wire and slam you int he face with it. i always like removing the trim to make sure my wires are routed behind the airbags.

just have to be careful not to route the wire in front of any airbags incase it might affect their operation by the wire restraining the bag on deployment or have the airbag drag the wire with it and something attached tot he wire and slam you int he face with it. i always like removing the trim to make sure my wires are routed behind the airbags.
yep, i pointed this out (with photos) in my cf-100 install thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/installing-a-cf-100-in-a-2008-toyota-sienna-van.8111/

course if you don't have side curtain airbags (i didn't see the SRS logo on the A or B pillars, and toyota always puts them there when a vehicle has curtain airbags) so you're probably fine. Just good to remind others who might read this thread.

yep, i pointed this out (with photos) in my cf-100 install thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/installing-a-cf-100-in-a-2008-toyota-sienna-van.8111/

course if you don't have side curtain airbags (i didn't see the SRS logo on the A or B pillars, and toyota always puts them there when a vehicle has curtain airbags) so you're probably fine. Just good to remind others who might read this thread.

Based on the crash test video -
(pause it and use the < and > to move frame by frame.

The side air bag comes from the bottom half of the B pillar and the head/curtain air bags mostly come from the top.. I made an adjustment to the wire today because I thought the airbag was contained in the pillar like some cars are.
I put the cable lower and started tucking the wire in the rubber seal on the frame a little closer to the side view mirror and working back up. Hopefully that will not pull/yank in case the air bags deploy.

View attachment 34451
Is there enough space for all those 90 degree cables? Can somebody post a picture?

Based on the crash test video -
(pause it and use the < and > to move frame by frame.

The side air bag comes from the bottom half of the B pillar and the head/curtain air bags mostly come from the top.. I made an adjustment to the wire today because I thought the airbag was contained in the pillar like some cars are.
I put the cable lower and started tucking the wire in the rubber seal on the frame a little closer to the side view mirror and working back up. Hopefully that will not pull/yank in case the air bags deploy.
Most Toyota lower side airbags come from the seat itself. Look for a little AIRBAG or SRS tag on the outside edge of the seat back cushion. Toyota put it in the seat itself to ensure it will always be in the correct position for the occupant no matter how far forward or back the user adjusts the seat.

Is there enough space for all those 90-degree cables? Can somebody post a picture?

I'd post a photo but I too am not yet using the correct 90-degree cables in my test setup. But yes they fit together quite nicely for maximum overall cable narrowing

copy pasta from my TacomaWorld post.

I've been and still am a huge fan of Street Guardian brand of dash cams, even before dash cams were cool in Russia. :D

Anyway, i've had multiple models and finally got my hands on the latest version, a dual channel model with wifi.
There are a lot of good cams out there, but I stick with SG because it's been the most reliable and stable of the bunch.

First, Specs:
https://streetguardian.cam/sg9663dc

Second, the install. It took me about 1 hour to complete.

wwFhHuZ.jpg

The kit includes power cable with 90* plug, 3m (~9.8 feet) usb cable to connect remote camera, GPS Antenna, extension cable with 90* plug for GPS Antenna extra 3M VHB double sided tape, wire clips, stickers, Clip-on CPL Filter, dash trim prying tool and a quick start guide.

hWrn82Y.jpg

Cable with blue clip is not part of the dash cam install. It's for my Drone Mobile GPS antenna. Using the tool provided, I simply tucked the wire into the headliner towards the A Pillar.

LXRzB3u.jpg

Once I reached the A Pillar, I used the trim/prying tool to put the cable behind the plastic cover going to the rubber seal.

mxY5yLc.jpg

There's plenty of room behind the rubber strip. This is for the power cable so work your way down tucking the cable in.

yKP61TU.jpg

The kick plate trim is easily removed by a simply pulling up. Remove this first.

1wJHeVR.jpg

Then reach in the back by the foot rest and pull on the tab that is securing the plastic cover then remove.

yHWHMOw.jpg

This is where I wired my PowerMagic Pro to the a couple of fuses using fuse taps for a clean install. I cannot for the life of me remember which two fuses I tapped into. You'll need to tap into an always on fuse and one that's powered when the key is in the ACC mode and finally a ground. I used the nearest screw that was metal on metal for the ground wire.

The PowerMagic Pro allows you to wire direct and clean install. It also allows you to run the dash cam straight from the battery, but it also has a built in voltage meter so the battery doesn't die. There are new hard wire kits that install direct to the fuse taps, but I've had this device for over 6 years now so I'll keep using it. The only thing BlackVue produced that wasn't ****.

T9y1dj0.jpg

Here, I've secured with electrical tape and zip tied the excess cable and tucked in.

Once taped and tucked away, put the cover back on. Here i put the switch mounted at the top of the plastic cover. This switch allows me to run the dash cam with the engine off. It has a built in voltage meter to turn off the dash cam so the battery does not drain.

CHGxkIv.jpg

Positioned and secured the new dash cam and power plugged in. Now I run the wire for the rear channel camera. I do the same, tuck the wire in the headliner and work my way to the A Pillar.

affV1Y0.jpg

Once I reach the rubber seal, I continue to the B Pillar.

owthLbc.jpg

Keep going...

hkr30Iy.jpg

The wire tucks in nice and snug, all the way to the end. The cable was just long enough with maybe a few inches to spare. There is an optional 6m (20 feet) cable, but it won't be necessary for this application.

Ilcdq1j.jpg

Can barely tell there's a camera.

mYFme6m.jpg

I have the Drone Mobile antenna on the left. The dash cam center, and the dash cam GPS antenna beside the GoPro mount.
I have just enough room below the rear view mirror to hit the Event/Emergency button If I catch anything juicy. Pressing the E button will lock the current file in record and move it to a protected folder so that it does not get overwritten.

2XTLfV8.jpg

I love this! I can watch and save clips on the fly if needed.

DISCLAIMER: The power cable is on the bottom. I am using an old power cable from the 9665GC model I had. The new dash cam comes with a 90* tip. See the top cable for reference. I didn't want to remove and rewire as the straight plug did not bother me. The box also includes an extension cable with a 90* plug for the GPS Antenna. Again, I did not use it here.

AvwTBPZ.jpg

Screenshot from NovaCam iOS app. NovaCam is not the official app for this cam, but it works well enough. I don't know if there is an app being developed exclusively for this camera. There are a couple other apps for both Android and iOS I saw listed on the Dash Cam forums.

Finally, here's a 6 minute long video showing two 3 minute clips of the front and rear camera.
Read the description from the YouTube link. I will be removing the CPL Filter because of the tint on my windshield. I didn't have an issue with glare before and I don't like the WB and rainbow effect it's causing.

https://youtu.be/Xsb9da3l-ow
Could you

Back