Adapting GP FPV cable for mic and power

RBEmerson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Sjcam SJ7, Sena Prism
Somewhere in SJ7 forums, I found a reference to a YT about adapting a GoPro FPV cable to the SJ7 for having an external mic and power at the same time. I ordered some mini-USB plugs so I can build, from scratch, my version of this cable. In the video the plug is shown as having 10 pins, but my plugs have only five pins. Has anyone tried to make this cable?

Yes, this is a great DIY solution... we shared it on our social media :)

What's the pinout used in the postings? (I don't, by choice, use facebook)

I guess I could put a meter on the pins to find which pins do what, but it's better to get the info from the design source.

The "useful results:time spent" ratio sux and I had too many TMI moments. Thank you, no.

Somewhere in SJ7 forums, I found a reference to a YT about adapting a GoPro FPV cable to the SJ7 for having an external mic and power at the same time. I ordered some mini-USB plugs so I can build, from scratch, my version of this cable. In the video the plug is shown as having 10 pins, but my plugs have only five pins. Has anyone tried to make this cable?

Please check out this thread; DIY Adapter

Went there - as I said in the official forum, my SJ7 miniUSB socket has five contacts, not ten.

my SJ7 miniUSB socket has five contacts
Are you sure?
AFAIK SJ6/SJ7 uses 10-pin mini-USB even to recognize external mic only. And a scheme in the video (at 2.57) seems to prove it (you need a bridge between the pins #5 and #6 so the camera switches to external mic instead of using internal one.... mmm.... if I'm not mistaken....:rolleyes:). So you have to buy a 10-pin mini-usb connector to make a cable for mic and power.

I'm hip deep in alligators in the proverbial swamp and haven't gotten to buzzing the FPV (have one) wiring. NTL, looking at the GP FPV cable and its connectors, and looking at my SJ7 with a fairly strong magnifying lens, I have doubts that the camera has a 10 pin connector.

@sjcam_official : do you have information about the number of pins in the SJ7 miniUSB connector?

Judging by my zoom with my not really so macro lens the USB on my SJ7 are 5 pin as there are only connectors on one side of that middle thing.
And if i look at the end of my charge cable / mini usb cable i also use to connect camera to PC i have just 5 connectors corresponding to the 5 connectors in the pic below.
And as far as i can see from 5 pin pinout for a 5 pin USB then the pic of mine below are pin 1 on top and then down thru to pin 5

And as i recall pin 1 are +5V - pin 2 are data minus - pin 3 data plus - pin 4 not used ( normally ) - pin 5 5 V minus / GND
So i am thinking if the pin layout are as normal ( and i think it are as the SJ7 would start smoking if i plugged it into a charger, and i can use it as mass storage connected to PC so the 2 data are also normal, that to me at least just leave the pin 4 open for external microphone.

O0NwFQUraKb1lLSCACwUgDPTmOVkwSuE0fmLcJOJFMc20mh891wagW2_4IfQjfyp-I3AdgLnSRtHlepmdUyngWPKRfnrBOeoeLDxDxUZcGdm8f7ND1zHlymW2iFR3lbrI2bFNP-Rzx-zZQvAAotFUlSngRlI5gDOMkM7wK_6gZXPZUYbeMdcGELFF09d74ePaVxzqoMAU6GOAmjZDES9dclP8vONoDRNScHO9beeK13vfNBMGLcDmaZm-oTvbHZXh-xXWhsvKptFZtXKS3yOyBEtg6WHq4o5UEdZyloAHwn_EVFTtjTYUSUmKHRZFFz985P18UjgeJClWzWskHtC1PYadVy2n4ccOLjwHrSuT3i8-7WtA01qlevMR0tgA_HJjTIwJQfLhqZWxCdSKXDWoid9fppaSD28LsVXFVGfLfRFcPoQ3AuP3wOoyuVkYiABw9FHwSDihvVDs4WwJ56I-U2JfZE6UZNvsxk1poCOJzbcFjShiDVZWgWMQfAjQlRxrhcd1v3V6XyiD1KSmxwxc8bamTbygePkfiNjA7Z7o-MG5zV_neR4hbZo2jwzrcFyfyZ7jJ1CQ-NZsopNgugUG2mEoveTbDzVwDGKfuznyg=w998-h827-no

Unlike a 10 pin connector. ( MALE )
520Cab24.jpg

So it would seem the botton row in the pic above ( 7 thru 12 ) are the only pins used in a 5 pin plug.

DO NOTE !!!!! i am flying by the seat of my pants here, electronics to me always took a backseat to chemistry when i was a kid.

I am confused too cuz looking at the SJ mic plug it is indee using a 10 pin layout, so the plug in the SJ7 must be 10 pin.
xOF6XoTScpgmaooHywlpXjnXjMgg4YKx9yqx1IQddr56qtLrJudmmf57IgDBW3x4_lFH2iEDMC4dboUJNX31uSlIVxoYDYJrD1L7W58YBRMjBWjUZ3yzNTMIayOMcM0pri1CX9-azpmE7gi4Gt1vWQ49r-RI3mXbixs6skx-X7a4puWCJdC9KRFm8PbsjnaESmIn7fsp2Q-4GWhDWtVzK2XtC5W8cwLpwADdtFExoFWmLkIvOT7-Chb1qaRBb6d6ZuzuG4VbxHIOdGB-K04bfpXV1KwTKioLTL9QU7MT9Y1XVcHHfxoWWlEGIMUjhDkYjmKZoQfme0cLtJRcrQSM9PhunnjL0JNgCDjVRrHnBVPivhPuPdx1hjrPFMIg6sljq-lw_LmfymW6nKlBXoP4z6arqFePlFWuEGKANZ-47BrY7t6f_DQ9bKh_TsksriD8eelWakLRNfI2CkjmvITkjsqrUsNoWxkCHwCk0W5nK-SW4FPkJF35E23Q96YpEPAACz9EbZrbV-1yVL_PcRuR0H8x-GvozMnWMfJluzaPk5Ksnga6w3QCApfuUFtmx0xJpuAVg8xhC4jiDzZgmE2fjhDuWR2-LuKKFfMcNgyIbQ=w922-h806-no

If you look at the 10 pin mic plug above you can also see the 2 x 5 connectors are not the same, so the bottom connectors in that pic above corrolate to the 5 connectors in the SJ7 photo where you can easy make up the connectors.
But you can also see the other 5 connectors in the MIC plug above are another "type" spring loaded so they press down on connectors on that middle thing in the camera pic i just cant see in the photo or IRL with my tired old eyes.

OR ! the SJ mic use a 10 pin connector where 5 would only be needed, and i dont think that's the case.

Last edited:
Mange tak!!

Your top photo shows exactly what my SJ7 has. Given the photo of the two-row connector, there is no way that connection is ever going to happen. No way, no how.

The problem, then, is to figure out what the 5 pins on the SJ7 do. It looks as though trying to mod a GP FPV cable just isn't going to work easily.

@sjcam_official We need some help on this, please.

Im glad im not a engineer, i just get to bitch and moan about their work, and then fix the errors if they are stupid enough for me to see :D

End user = ultimate beta tester of released products. - LOL

It must be 10 pin and that's also what the guy in the video use.

But i am still mighty confused cuz if you look at the pic of the 10 pin male connector i posted above, then its connectrs are the same both rows spring loaded so they can press down on a connection point.

But the SJ MIC pic i just took have different working connectors, just 5 of them are the same as that 10 pin connector, the other 5 are flat relying in the 5 spring loaded pins in the camera USB plug.

So to me its sort of like the plugs SJ cams use are,,,,,, emmmm weird or maybe that 10 pin i found are the weird one.
Damn USB so smart it seem and looking close like now its just a big mess for my poor old analog brain

Also some of the 10 pin USB plugs i googled, well they do not look anything like the 10 pin plug that guy use, but i can see his being 10 pin too on the solder points, its just some of the plugs i found dont have a PCB in the solder end just 10 pins.
But i guess there are several ways to make a USB plug, just like there are different ways to make a car tire.

I dont have measuring equipment so i could measure on the SJ MIC what pins are in play on that one, just have a cheapo multitester and one of its lins are broken off, and its so cheap i cant solder it back on, so will have to find a few bucks for a new one some day.

Yes i think its just getting a 10 pin USB plug and then do what he do, and have faith the other 5 pins are there though hard to see.

In my first photo of the camera USB port the square holed in that middle thing i think are just there for those connectors on the side you can see to flex into, but you dont need that for the other 5 connectors on the other side of that middle thing you can see ( though it do look like there is a little bit of brass shine in my pic on that side )
Anyway the connectors on that side of the middle thing are flat cuz the corresponding 5 connectors in the plug are spring loaded and will press down on those flat ones and make the connection.

Its just me finding it silly the plug are not symmetrical on the connectors like the pic of the 10 pin male plug i posted indicate they can be, and like the pic of the SJ MIC plug also indicate they dont have to be.

I can fully understand Emerson and his doubts like i also did in my post above say its 5 pin, but now i see it must be 10 pin, but its just stupid and hard to see with the naked eye or in my pictures.

I did try to take a better picture of the 5 pins hard to see, but i am not able to do that with my Nikon camera and get enough light in there even with my 5000 lumen flashlight i also used for the other pics.

Last edited:
I have no explanation for what seems to be a case of different connectors in different devices. For lots of reasons, that doesn't make sense. NTL looking at the GoPro FPV cable's connector and my SJ7, the SJ7 has only five wipers, not six, and there are no wipers where pins 7-12 should be. Further, none of my utility miniUSB cables have twelve contacts.

Back