GitUp F1 vs Xiaomi Mijia Mini (IMX317 4K & Ambarella A12)

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
Both the GitUp F1 and the Xiaomi Mijia Mini share the same 8MP IMX317 4K sensor and the same Ambarella A12 processor, so I thought it would be interesting to put them side-by-side to see the differences between them.
Disclaimer: I bought the Mijia myself, while the F1 was sent to me by GitUp for test & review.

The Mijia is a conventional action camera, with the lens on the front and a touch screen on the rear for live view and camera controls. This is good if you are hand-holding the camera while taking videos, and using the live view to set up the camera on a tripod for example. The Mijia has Wifi for live view and camera control via a smartphone app, plus bluetooth control.

The F1 is a Mobius style action camera, with the no live view screen and only simple button controls with an OSD screen. This is more suited to use as a dashcam, or fixing to an object such as an RC car/plane/drone. The F1 also has WiFi for video preview and camera control via a smartphone app, plus bluetooth control.

The F1 lens has a FOV of 160 degrees, while the Mijia uses a narrower 145 degree lens.

The maximum frame rates currently supported by the cameras are:
4K: F1 30fps / Mijia 30fps
1440p: F1 60fps / Mijia 30fps
1080p: F1 120fps / Mijia 100fps
1080p with EIS anti-shake: F1 60fps / Mijia 60fps
720p: F1 240fps / Mijia 200fps

EDIT: MEDIA REMOVED

Conclusions:
Both cameras deliver 4K with a decent amount of detail for an action camera priced around $100, and can also produce stabilised video at 1080p60 with good results. The different approaches to contrast and colour profiles are noticeable in the output from the two cameras. It would be welcome if both the F1 and Mijia offered a wider range of options in this regard to allow the user to customise the video to their preferences. Ultimately the cameras are aimed at quite different markets due to their physical shape and function.

Last edited:
such a beautiful comparison! I hesitated between the two and i bought the F1, now the doubts are over.
In any case in this price range and form there is not much competition I guess

Or maybe its more a matter of how damn little dashcam technology have moved ahead in the past years.
In some cases pixel count have gone up, but overall IQ have not really progressed so much it would seem.

I think i have seen some users also still swear to the gopro 2 cameras.

New technologies like HDR and so on dont do much for me as of now, maybe things like that need to mature for a while.

If i really was to document something in moving pictures i would still go for a regular camcorder or a Dslr that do good video, but dont get me wrong i also love the little cameras you can whip out of a pocket or put in places you cant get to with the larger cameras.
So if i ever get to do my world tour, i will be bringing all kinds of cameras with me, actually my camera suitcase will probably be larger than the suitcase for clothes.

Back