Advice Needed - Mini 0906 Dual OR Aukey DR02-Dual

chrisdown68

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at buying two dual camera dashcams for our cars here in the UK. I've been considering the BlueSkySea Mini 0906 and the Aukey DR02. From what I've read, the Mini 0906 has a better (?) front camera sensor in the Sony Exmor IMX291 compared to the IMX323 used by the Aukey. However, the Mini 0906 may have some reliability issues?

I'm leaning towards the Aukey DR02, but can anyone on here suggest which might the better setup - especially for low light / night driving?

Many thanks

Mini 0906
Front Sony Exmor IMX291
Rear Sony Exmor IMX322

Aukey DR02
Front Sony Exmor IMX323
Rear Sony Exmor IMX323

0906 will be better in daylight too at this time of year, an IMX323 based camera with have twice the motion blur which means that most plates that get within reading distance are blurred. The 0906 may be blurred too, depending on speed, but there is a significantly higher chance of them being readable. 0906 will also cope with high contrast better.

Not sure what the reliability concerns are, the prototypes had a few issues as would be expected, the first production batch has also resulted in some changes but that was a small batch, I think any bought now are probably fine and quite well built. There may be some more firmware improvements to come since it is still a new camera.

Thanks both. My budget is circa £110 GBP per set ( approx. $150 US ). I like the idea of having good customer support which would push me towards the Aukey. I've read that the Mini cams can sometimes only have a relatively short life. Amazon are doing the Aukey DR02-D for £99.99 at the moment and the Mini 0906 dual is around £105 on ebay. Anyone out there who's got either of these ( or had both )?

I think the Amazon.co.uk reviews are dubious. It certainly was not first available on 9th October, as I've been looking for it since then and it wasn't there (although it was available in the US). Buying Aukey on Amazon is risk-free though, since if you don't like it they give you a full refund.

Thanks both. My budget is circa £110 GBP per set ( approx. $150 US ). I like the idea of having good customer support which would push me towards the Aukey. I've read that the Mini cams can sometimes only have a relatively short life. Amazon are doing the Aukey DR02-D for £99.99 at the moment and the Mini 0906 dual is around £105 on ebay. Anyone out there who's got either of these ( or had both )?
I would go for the 0906, my prototype version has been good. If you are worried about reliability then just get it from somewhere you can return it if there is an issue. Any issue will probably show up in the first couple of weeks making return to Amazon very easy. You will get reasonable support for the 0906 on this forum if you need help using it.

It is however a new camera, and not fully proven yet and with not may owners so far, so there is some risk.

Previous Mini cameras have had battery issues, this one doesn't have a battery!

I'd go with Aukey just because previous mini models had some sort of issue on all.
Size wise, mini is small but Aukey is wedge shape so it may work better behind the RV mirror.

With the older Mini cams it was almost always the battery which gave trouble. The 0906 doesn't seem to have any major issues left unaddressed now but a few specific cams are being reported as having odd issues. Those can be warrantied but a couple folks here on DCT are keeping theirs in an effort to help get those issues sorted out ;) That is where most of that chatter is coming from :whistle: The Aukey seems nice and reliable too but for me it's a toss-up between them. Choose which one seems to give you the most of what you want- neither is a bad choice :cool:

It was only a couple years ago that people wanting a dual-channel can had few decent choices :rolleyes: Things are a LOT better for us today :D(y)

Phil

Back