Dash cam manufacturers ought to do this

vonWachtstein

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why can't they make dash cams super unattractive to thieves is beyond me. Makes them password protected like cellphone companies do it and market for these things will be completely shut to thieves. I get why smaller companies who produce budget dashcams don't do it. But in case of Blackvue and Thinkware its criminally wrong oversight.

I can't believe US thieves actually LOOK for dashcams to steal?

Why can't they make dash cams super unattractive to thieves is beyond me. Makes them password protected like cellphone companies do it and market for these things will be completely shut to thieves. I get why smaller companies who produce budget dashcams don't do it. But in case of Blackvue and Thinkware its criminally wrong oversight.
Are you going to enter the password on each camera every time you start your engine?

I can count the number of times that I have seen a dashcam in another vehicle with one hand since 2014.
+1

If I count my current car, plus my previous car, plus my wife's car there have been only two others I've seen so I'm still on one hand myself. (y)

I'm sure the average thief wouldn't even know what a dash cam is much less what value it might have.

I would enter password every time I format SD card. And to answer some of your replies. My town suffered 600+ burglaries this year alone. I know for a fact somebody was walking from car to car checking whats inside yesterday. Neighbor who left car open lost her GPS unit. I think the way Blackvue looks it might appear attractive to youth thief.

None as far as i know but that information is closed to the general public. I shouldn't even know how bad it got around here except my friend is a police officer. I never said thieves will actively look for dashcams either. I meant that rather opportunistic thief might look inside because he sees one gadget and take a chance there might be more. After all they still steal GPS units and those are inexpensive for some time now.

That's a lot of crime in the town...

Where I live it's nothing like that.

That's a lot of crime in the town...

Where I live it's nothing like that.

It's a town in central Connecticut and one of the more affluent communities. So it is shocking to us as well. Even 5 years ago it was unthinkable.

Thieves don't steal dashcams, they have no value. Do you think there is some kind of black market for dashcams?

Pretty much this, at least for now. And much depends on location as well as where you're parked. 'Fences' here only want things they can sell right away, and none of their usual 'customers' are buying dashcams :rolleyes: 1-2 nice GPS units will get a druggie their high, but it would take ten times that many dashcams to do the same :p That might change in time but we're pretty safe for now :cool:

Phil

Back