DOD RC500S..awesome IQ so why is it not more popular?

shaolin95

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been researching dual cameras like crazy and was thinking on other brands until I saw a comparison showing this one and from the videos it blew away the rest yet it seems hard to find for purchase and not much info about it.
So I am wondering, is there a big issue that people is staying away from it?

Had firmware issues early on, mostly fixed now.

Image quality is superb

Had firmware issues early on, mostly fixed now.

Image quality is superb
Sweet so sounds like buying one now is a good option. Have you seen any dual camera that can match this one's IQ for less or similar?
Drivers keep getting worst so i want to have a camera ASAP.
Thanks!!!

Same here but absence of buffered parking mode is pretty crucial (at least for me).

Same here but absence of buffered parking mode is pretty crucial (at least for me).
Oh so if someone hits the car they have a chance of getting away before it gets recorded, right?
If that is so, then yeah that is not good. What do you recommend for dual cameras with as close as possible to this image quality from the RC500s? Or am I thinking to much about IQ (I am a photographer) when something like a Mini 0906 would do just fine ????

Actually i'm in the same situation as you. I was thinking about F800/F800Pro but IQ looks kinda bad to me. Then i've noticed probably same video in which the RC500S is definetly the winner, so i started some digging and found out there isn't a pre-buffered feature (yeah, when somebody hits your car you get just a record of a car which grinds around, nothing what you can use...)

At this moment i don't know what camera is usable. (and i searched at all price levels)

Ouch, this is becoming a frustrating researching. I was now looking at this one but didnt see anything about buffered parking mode.

LUKAS QVIA AR790

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, LUKAS cameras looked promising, especially because i liked the idea about collecting an OBD information from the car. But if i remember correctly, the IQ wasn't anything special as well...

I'm not Blackvue fan, but DR900S looks pretty good. (at least the front channel) Unfortunatelly we have to wait.

Last edited:
I read on a reply from November in Amazon that a buffer parking option will be added via firmware for the RC500S. I hope this is true. If so, I may just wait for that,

Many cam brands aren't marketed in the US (and other places) which makes finding info on them tough, and getting service and support even tougher. Some will not even ship to here directly but there are ways around that. The end result is that we miss out on some good cams and they miss out on some sales :( It's the manufacturer's choice to do this- we just get the results of that. If you can find a Country where the cam is popular you might search the cam forums they frequent and use google translate to overcome any language barriers as best you can ;)

Phil

I read on a reply from November in Amazon that a buffer parking option will be added via firmware for the RC500S. I hope this is true. If so, I may just wait for that,
I hope so. Unfortunatelly this cam was announced a year ago (if i'm not mistaken) so why they plan to add this feature now? It sounds a bit like "we'll add that soon, so just buy it..." I'm skeptical about it.

Interesting info. In my country a local representation of DOD company claims there is a buffered-record, so i bought RC500S for testing purposes. On my first try, it looked like it doesn't work so i've contacted a support and they told me that there truly is this function and it works (they claim there is a newer version of this dashcam). They suggested me to use Kingston/Samsung UHS-I U1 card (i was using 128GB U3 Samsung card) so i bought Kingston 16GB U1 and now it works. So far so good i just hope it's not due the lower capacity of the card (i will try in a near future).

At this moment IQ is pretty good, camera works, only mobile app has some bugs. The only thing which drive me crazy is awfully slow Wifi. Seriously man, live stream of recorded footage is not possible to view due buffering and when i tried to download it to my phone it takes minutes to download 450MB(3 minutes) video.

EDIT: Ok, another issue, when i park in garage (no light whatsoever) it records continuously because of video noise (which "moves").

Last edited:
Interesting info. In my country a local representation of DOD company claims there is a buffered-record, so i bought RC500S for testing purposes. On my first try, it looked like it doesn't work so i've contacted a support and they told me that there truly is this function and it works (they claim there is a newer version of this dashcam). They suggested me to use Kingston/Samsung UHS-I U1 card (i was using 128GB U3 Samsung card) so i bought Kingston 16GB U1 and now it works. So far so good i just hope it's not due the lower capacity of the card (i will try in a near future).

At this moment IQ is pretty good, camera works, only mobile app has some bugs. The only thing which drive me crazy is awfully slow Wifi. Seriously man, live stream of recorded footage is not possible to view due buffering and when i tried to download it to my phone it takes minutes to download 450MB(3 minutes) video.

EDIT: Ok, another issue, when i park in garage (no light whatsoever) it records continuously because of video noise (which "moves").
I thought U3 is faster than U1, and U3 didnt work out for you?

Yes it is(much faster) but almost every pcs of hardware which doesn't support U3 card have some weird issues, so manufacturers often recommend to use Class10(or U1 in this case).

I also tested a Sandisk cards(which are specificaly not recommended) and everytime it turned off by itself after few minutes of usage.

Yes it is(much faster) but almost every pcs of hardware which doesn't support U3 card have some weird issues, so manufacturers often recommend to use Class10(or U1 in this case).

I also tested a Sandisk cards(which are specificaly not recommended) and everytime it turned off by itself after few minutes of usage.
Hope my Lexar will do good lol...

I have been researching dual cameras like crazy and was thinking on other brands until I saw a comparison showing this one and from the videos it blew away the rest yet it seems hard to find for purchase and not much info about it.
So I am wondering, is there a big issue that people is staying away from it?

This is an excellent comparison video showing how the DOD RC500S excels over the competition: Blackvue DR750S vs Thinkware F800 PRO vs DOD RC500S vs Viofo A119S [Extreme test] dashcam review

Especially in motion blur, low light glare and low light grain.

Back