Original Mobius night recording with 4mm ~ F1.2 lens (!)

The bewildering thing is the StarLight lenses. They can be had (very few) in f1.2, f1.4 as you know. I don't know/can't find out if they are even made by more then 1 company and then doled out to the resellers in some secret way. Why they are so secretive about the whole thing is a complete mystery to me.

look up what a starlight lens is and then you might see why you can't get a straight answer, I haven't seen any of the lenses mentioned that are actually starlight lenses, I suspect they just see that as a good marketing term for a lens with a large aperture

look up what a starlight lens is and then you might see why you can't get a straight answer, I haven't seen any of the lenses mentioned that are actually starlight lenses, I suspect they just see that as a good marketing term for a lens with a large aperture

Of course it's a marketing term (smart move), it's basically the only way the average consumer is going to get a large aperture lens. The real question though is why ?
I'm expecting any day now to see some manufacture wanting to make a name for themselves come out with the Night Lightning series of M12 aspherical lenses with values in f running from 1.0 to 2.0, however, I am not going to hold my breath :rolleyes::D:cool:.

Of course it's a marketing term, it's basically the only way the average consumer is going to get a large aperture lens. The real question though is why ?

it's a misapplication of the name in this case, it does relate to a specific technology and not just a made up name for the sake of marketing

it's a misapplication of the name in this case, it does relate to a specific technology and not just a made up name for the sake of marketing
Misapplication, yea,right! You mean like someone calling their product Mustang, Whirlpool, Challenger, etc,. The technology you refer to is called Marketing!

My understanding is that "Starlight Technology" is a form of amplified night vision that is only marginally related to the lenses involved. In some cases Starlight refers to certain highly sensitive sensors used in some CCTV cameras
and more recently other types of cameras. I suspect that in this case the term "Starlight lens" is borrowed from that.

http://www.optics4birding.com/starlight-technology.aspx

Misapplication, yea,right! You mean like someone calling their product Mustang, Whirlpool, Challenger, etc,. The technology you refer to is called Marketing!

no, as per the link that @Dashmellow posted there is actually a lens technology that is named Starlight which is a powered lens, I'm sure the lenses being promoted by these Aliexpress sellers have no relationship to that technology and are just static lenses with large apertures and they have 'borrowed' the name

OK, lend me the F1 when you're done playing with it and we'll see what we can work out. :smuggrin:

But I was going to keep the F1 and try one of these starlight lenses in it.....

I've put the 4mm F1.2 on the F1 :)
It's made for a 1/2.5" sensor. However it's only rated as a 3mp lens, compared to the 8mp sensor in the F1.

Videos & photos to follow soon.

IMG_20171220_083527-01.jpeg

IMG_20171220_132342-01.jpeg

I made a comment here somewhere awhile ago that @dirkzelf should be receiving a sales commission for bringing these ƒ/1.2 Treeye lenses to our attention and especially for making us aware that we could request that they be delivered with IR-cut filters installed :). It seems like many of use have bought one or two as a result of the recommendation and having the IR cut filter available was probably a catalyst in making the decision to purchase.

I don't know how many IR-cut filter "Starlight" lenses have actually been purchased by members reading these threads but apparently it is a big enough quantity that now an amusing "Warm Tip" is posted on the sales pages of numerous Treeeye specialty lenses. (Never heard the expression "warm tip" before but I guess it's related to a "hot tip" :giggle:). I don't think we'd be seeing this message if Treeye handn't suddenly experienced a spate of orders for lenses with IR-cut filters.

This one was for the 6mm.
warm_tip.jpg

Last edited:
if it were English instead of Chinglish it would be 'friendly reminder' rather than 'warm tip'

I really like the concept of "Warm Tip". :) I think it expresses exactly the right idea and tone and I get that it means friendly reminder.

Chinglish is not always a "bad" thing in my view. I read a fascinating account from a well known Chinese poet (whose name I can't remember) who learned English and spoke of how, as a poet, the English language amazed him and blew his poet's mind. He gave many examples of words that native English speakers never give a second thought to but that he began to incorporate into his work as a professional wordsmith because of how expressive they were in ways that Chinese couldn't always achieve. One example that comes to mind was the word "influence" which he found fascinating because the root of the word means to "flow into" and he used the word in a wonderfully expressive way that a native English speaker never would have thought to. In that sense I can see exactly how the idea of "Warm Tip" came about. :)

I guess there are times when that doesn't quite work so well. I recall also how RockThinking quoted me on his blog when I made a comment here on DCT that "design-wise" his early C1 camera looked exactly like a copy of the design and colors of the original Apple iPod Mini. He took "design wise" to mean that his choice to copy Apple's design and color options had great "wisdom". :giggle:

Last edited:
I made a comment here somewhere awhile ago that @dirkzelf should be receiving a sales commission for bringing these ƒ/1.2 Treeye lenses to our attention and especially for making us aware that we could request that they be delivered with IR-cut filters installed :). It seems like many of use have bought one or two as a result of the recommendation and having the IR cut filter available was probably a catalyst in making the decision to purchase.

I don't know how many IR-cut filter "Starlight" lenses have actually been purchased by members reading these threads but apparently it is a big enough quantity that now an amusing "Warm Tip" is posted on the sales pages of numerous Treeeye specialty lenses. (Never heard the expression "warm tip" before but I guess it's related to a "hot tip" :giggle:). I don't think we'd be seeing this message if Treeye handn't suddenly experienced a spate of orders for lenses with IR-cut filters.

This one was for the 6mm.
View attachment 36112

YEAH WHAT HE SAID!! I WANT MY COMMISSION...!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

if it were English instead of Chinglish it would be 'friendly reminder' rather than 'warm tip'
In China it means "温馨提示"。 温馨 in English is warm. I did some research, it seems just say it "Tips" is OK in English.
"friendly reminder" is also widely used in China, same as "友情提示"。:)

I don't know why it surprises everyone;), In the US I get notes also " your payment is expected immediately", "Non payment will be met with legal action", 'Returns will be charged 15 to 30% restocking fee", my favorite " returns NOT excepted under any Circumstances"o_O:(!

It looks a decent size, 37.8mm (L) x 21mm Dia. Could do with some more dimensions like BFL and threaded barrel length to check how it fits. You probably wouldn't want to cut out a 21mm hole in the Mobius case.

I bought some lens locking rings from them last week (via ebay). I didn't realise they're only 30min down the road from me. Looks like they stock a range of interesting optical products.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Stock-Optics-Ltd

I see they have more than one 4mm ƒ/1.2 lens. This other lens seems to be quite similar but it weighs 30 grams vs 20 grams for the other lens implying a different, more complex set of glass optical elements.

They carry a lot of interesting stuff. One question will be whether they can supply IR-cut filters pre-installed on these lenses?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121056953832

Having inspired by this thread, I've ordered the 4mm f1.2 lens from aliexpress.com. What mSetup settings would be good for using Mobius as a dashcam during both day and night?

Having inspired by this thread, I've ordered the 4mm f1.2 lens from aliexpress.com. What mSetup settings would be good for using Mobius as a dashcam during both day and night?

I found the C setting best for the Treeye (?) lens, colourwise. However the A setting has its own charmes, I'd say just try and error and find your own best preference.

Back