Something cheap and comparable to A118C/G1W

darkgiant

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have been using a G1W and A118C, basically a relative of mine wanted a discrete camera, so I opted to give them my A118C from one of my cars, since it isn't driven as much as it used to be, but nonetheless, I'd like to keep a dashcam inside the car. Discreteness isn't really that important, but I wasn't sure how quality is. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I also wasn't sure what to expect going with a battery model, but it never gets too hot enough here (as in, 85+ degrees). Anyways, these are the two cameras in reference:
I am obviously looking for something of a smaller budget, but comparable to my G1W or A118C. Any recommendations and advice are appreciated!

If budget it first priority, check out G1WS (upgraded with a Sony sensor)

If budget it first priority, check out G1WS (upgraded with a Sony sensor)

Any idea if I can find this from a US seller? I previously purchased my cameras from GearBest, but using the standard (free) shipping, it can take quite some time, and would prefer to get something within a few days, which is why I was looking for Amazon Prime eligible items, but am fine if shipping can take 5-7 days.

Any idea if I can find this from a US seller? I previously purchased my cameras from GearBest, but using the standard (free) shipping, it can take quite some time, and would prefer to get something within a few days, which is why I was looking for Amazon Prime eligible items, but am fine if shipping can take 5-7 days.

Looks like we just sold on on Amazon FBA. We have more stock set to arrive on Thursday so it should be listed for sale again on Friday. I'm private message you the link.

And just to confirm, I assume that G1W-S would (obviously) surpass the original G1W, but also the A118C, correct? Out of sheer curiosity, are the cameras I posted above even worth considering?

Yes, better night performance now with the Sony sensor.
I have no experience with those, but I wouldn't expect the night performance to be all that great from what I can ascertain from the listings.

The G1W-S may have slightly less image quality daytime but it is hugely better in low-light conditions. It's tough to say for certain what you'll see because the G1W and A118 series cams have widely varying build quality, but the images from both of my G1W-S are good and the build quality is excellent ;) You get a lot for your money with the G1W-S and you can't beat OCD Tronic for honest caring sales and service (y)

Phil

My G1W's were from Blackbox, and the A118C I had was from Viofo. It looks like the G1W-S would be around the ~$55 range, and I was looking to spend less that on the dash cam alone (as I am factoring in another ~$12 for a MicroSD card).

I couldn't find much information on the last two cameras on these forums, but for the Yi camera, it seems the major issue for it is the battery during major heat... not sure what this means, but I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it doesn't really get too hot around here, otherwise its usually cool temperatures for most of the year. Any idea if that can do the job?

EDIT:

I just saw this A118C from eBay (sold from estore009): https://www.ebay.com/itm/282577354263
It is not made by Viofo, like the one I used to have, but is this one exactly the same?

Would that then be a bad thing if it is a copy?

I did however find this Viofo on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/132368491069) I assume that one is legit, correct? I never purchased a dashcam (usually Gearbest) so just want to make sure.

Would that then be a bad thing if it is a copy?

they're ok but not great, can be a bit hit and miss, better off spending a few extra dollars and just buying the correct version

I did however find this Viofo on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/132368491069) I assume that one is legit, correct? I never purchased a dashcam (usually Gearbest) so just want to make sure.

not sure, it says Viofo but has an Autovox logo in the picture, the Autovox version is also a copy

I think the new Blueskysea B1W is slightly less- so far it seems good and the G1W-HC from Gearbest is still around for about $35 though one of my two may be dying after 15 months :whistle: The other G1W series cams are now all of questionable quality :( You might find an Aukey DR01 or a Chupad D501 on sale.

If you liked the A118C then just get another but be sure it's a Viofo if you want any assurances of quality. All the other versions are a big "maybe" these days and you might end up with junk :( You really can't get a decent cam for any less than what's been discussed here. IMHO after spending years looking for the cheapest decent reliable dashcams those mentioned in this thread so far are my bottom line- YMMV.

Phil

I think the new Blueskysea B1W is slightly less- so far it seems good and the G1W-HC from Gearbest is still around for about $35 though one of my two may be dying after 15 months :whistle: The other G1W series cams are now all of questionable quality :( You might find an Aukey DR01 or a Chupad D501 on sale.

If you liked the A118C then just get another but be sure it's a Viofo if you want any assurances of quality. All the other versions are a big "maybe" these days and you might end up with junk :( You really can't get a decent cam for any less than what's been discussed here. IMHO after spending years looking for the cheapest decent reliable dashcams those mentioned in this thread so far are my bottom line- YMMV.

Phil

Do you have any idea on the Yi camera? I see that their are many video reviews, but not much reference here, and the only reference here hound on its inability to handle hot temperatures, but for my climate (Pacific Northwest), we don't experience much hot temperature.

I did look at the B1W you mentioned, and on Amazon I see it for $55, and the Aukey DR01 also listed for $60, couldn't find anything on Amazon for the Chupad. I'd honestly just take another A118C, but the major problem (as it seems like) is that it doesn't seem to be easy to access, at least in terms of obtaining the legitimate Viofo version, as Gearbest has no discontinued the dash cam. But I am willing to settle for anywhere around the $45 ballpark, leaving me at least another ~$12 for a MicroSD card, as I was able to buy my G1W for $40 couple of years ago and bought four A118C's for $38 each (granted, on sale on Gearbest).

I don't know the Yi but it's been well discussed here on DCT ;) 7 pages of threads: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/yi-dash-cam.184/

I just checked more closely and the G1W-HC has also been discontinued on GB which as far as I know was the sole source for that cam :( It seems the Viofo A118C is going to be the cheapest cam I'd trust now- maybe @viofo can point you to a source for it.

Phil

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. I am kind of stuck on what to do here then. I am curious, for the G1W-S, I see a decent amount of negative reviews on it on the Amazon.com listing... is there a particural reason for why? I just realized the Yi camera only has a 30 day warranty, which isn't really enticing at all.

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. I am kind of stuck on what to do here then. I am curious, for the G1W-S, I see a decent amount of negative reviews on it on the Amazon.com listing... is there a particural reason for why? I just realized the Yi camera only has a 30 day warranty, which isn't really enticing at all.
Price $38 is really good for A118C on Gearbest,you can go with them;

Price $38 is really good for A118C on Gearbest,you can go with them;

Would you mind sharing a link? The A118C on Gearbest all seem to be generic, unless the ones posted there are safe?

Not sure if it is the Viofo brand A118C on Gearbest!

That is the one I purchased from couple of years ago, but it seems to be unfortunately discontinued :/

Back