I guess this guy is 'lucky'? Turned over truck I-20, Texas

if it wasn't for our Tivo (DVR) i would never watch tv. there's just too damn many commercials (which i can skip with the DVR), not to mention the ability to rewind to see/hear stuff i missed, or just to pause it... whether it's from kids being loud, someone at the door, or me just crunching on some food.
+1

There are very, very few things I watch on TV live. Everything gets recorded and I watch on my schedule - and without having to watch all the commercials.

Any time a car flies through the air I'm reminded of this movie....

:)

And the new Oldsmobiles are in early :p They actually leased an entire real but closed down shopping mall to film that scene ;)

Phil

Ditto, and it have some good music too.
I have 2 blues brothers albums

I don't know if it's my ears getting old or just the fact that I don't like to have the TV too loud, but I started leaving the closed captioning on permanently about 15 years ago. Now I get annoyed when it doesn't work right on some DVRs and cable boxes. I wonder how much longer I'll be able to resist the urge to yell at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn?

KuoH

...not to mention the ability to rewind to see/hear stuff i missed, or just to pause it... whether it's from kids being loud, someone at the door, or me just crunching on some food.

The classic 'grumpy old man' lived across the street from my family when I was a pre-teen, and teen. He probably was a nice guy, but all I remember was he would dress up in a white shirt, slacks, and tie every day, (Like he was going to the 'office') and LIVE for some kid to stray one inch into his well groomed yard. The guy was over 6 feet tall, in his 80's, and maybe weighed 110 pounds, but we were terrified of him.

He did keep his lawn nice, though. (Probably financed by selling secondhand frisbees and baseballs he 'found' in his yard.)

We didn't have the stereotypical grumpy old man on my street growing up, but we did have the little old lady that would talk to you non stop no matter how many times you tell her you need to go... We (neighbors) used to "rescue" each other from her with phone calls.

The classic 'grumpy old man' lived across the street from my family when I was a pre-teen, and teen. He probably was a nice guy, but all I remember was he would dress up in a white shirt, slacks, and tie every day, (Like he was going to the 'office') and LIVE for some kid to stray one inch into his well groomed yard. The guy was over 6 feet tall, in his 80's, and maybe weighed 110 pounds, but we were terrified of him.

He did keep his lawn nice, though. (Probably financed by selling secondhand frisbees and baseballs he 'found' in his yard.)

A lot of those people lost everything in the great depression and stock market crash, when the country finally pulled out of that situation many were left with the mental scars of what happened. They saved money like crazy and lost a lot of trust in people in general and banks in particular.
I have read considerable about those times so their actions are totally realistic and understandable to me. It was an extremely hard for a man to feed his family. Paying a mortgage, putting kids through college,new cars were lost dreams to the multitudes.

I had a neighbor and locals described exactly as you describe the old man next door to you then. Just imagine what they had to go through to change the way they were, it had to be absolutely horrifying by comparison to the way things are today. Hopefully that situation will never happen again but in life you just never know what will happen till the cards are dealt so to speak.

I'm not nocking in any way what you said just trying to shed some light on the reasoning behind it.

As for Gibson and the old lady, hell, their are more of them now then then :eek::D!

A lot of those people lost everything in the great depression and stock market crash, when the country finally pulled out of that situation many were left with the mental scars of what happened. They saved money like crazy and lost a lot of trust in people in general and banks in particular.
I have read considerable about those times so their actions are totally realistic and understandable to me. It was an extremely hard for a man to feed his family. Paying a mortgage, putting kids through college,new cars were lost dreams to the multitudes.

I had a neighbor and locals described exactly as you describe the old man next door to you then. Just imagine what they had to go through to change the way they were, it had to be absolutely horrifying by comparison to the way things are today. Hopefully that situation will never happen again but in life you just never know what will happen till the cards are dealt so to speak.

I'm not nocking in any way what you said just trying to shed some light on the reasoning behind it.

As for Gibson and the old lady, hell, their are more of them now then then :eek::D!
My parents were children of the depression (born 1918/1919) and looking back it's easy to see how they were affected while growing up. It was second nature to them to make sure both feet were on solid ground financially before taking a step in any direction. They were not risk takers in any way.

Back