Wi-Fi client mode, telnet access

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know this is an old and abandoned product, but for those who like to tinker, here is my latest discovery:

JVX can connect to a Wi-Fi network (as a client) You just have to modify wifi.conf file (on SD card). Magic settings:

WIFI_MODE=sta
##### STA mode configuration ##########################################
# SSID
ESSID=<Your Wi-Fi AP SSID>
# Passphrase. Leave empty at no security mode; please edit wpa_supplicant.conf when your AP cannot be detected
PASSWORD=<Your Wi-Fi AP password>

I also discovered that once in client mode, you can telnet to JVX (login: root, no password)

So an expensive wifi adapter or an ip camera.

I know this is an old and abandoned product, ...
Hope not, I bought one new from JV on Monday and it was delivered today!

But it's cool you found out about getting on it with telnet. I wonder if it can be hacked to use that WiFi network to upload images to the user's cloud...

but for those who like to tinker, here is my latest discovery:

JVX can connect to a Wi-Fi network (as a client) You just have to modify wifi.conf file (on SD card). Magic settings:

WIFI_MODE=sta
# SSID
# Passphrase. Leave empty at no security mode; please edit wpa_supplicant.conf when your AP cannot be detected

I also discovered that once in client mode, you can telnet to JVX (login: root, no password)

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Could you tell us your experience so far and keep us updated as you go
Sure, I'll give it a go.

I bought my JVX direct from JooVuu UK and got £10 off with the SUMMER10 code (they emailed me that to entice me to buy once the JVX was in my basket overnight, but I had to ping them when out didn't work. They emailed back the code would work and it did. The postage was free too, instead of £5, which was a nice surprise. It took two days to arrive. Total cost £59.99. Here is my unboxing.
83936eee7ff0d171c60d9a7b3ea3b785.jpg

There is a rectangular bolt on plate which I'm not sure how to use, as I don't have a holder for it. The ball-bearing socket holder with 3M sticky pad looks fine though.

The JVX seems stable so far. I've been testing it outside the car first, because:

* I waited a few days to get a pair of decent SD cards (64GB Samsung EVO 60+MB/s Class 10 UHS-I).

* I'm intending to construct a professional-looking shroud from black foam (procured) around the dashcam to cut out reflections on the windscreen and to increase its stealthiness. My car windscreen has a number of factory-fitted cameras and sensors already, so I want my new dashcam to fit in.

* I'd like to know how the dashcam operates and will probably fully investigate it now, especially as it's proven you can telnet to the thing.

## Stability ##
It turns on as intended both by pushing the power button and also auto-on when connected to power, even a power bank. WiFi operation is reliable so far (holding down the mode button for 5+ secs, then releasing). The android app is stable so far.
10+ cycles for power on/off, auto power on, WiFi, and app control.

## Remote viewing ##
Not good! Replaying recorded videos over the dashcam's WiFi AP is very poor: stuttering and often a green screen. No problem if replaying the same files from the SD card inserted into my Chromebook. Oddly, streaming live is better. Maybe the dashcam has CPU or RAM issues with reading media.

## Power ##
The dashcam seems to pull between 340-410 mAh at around 5V from my powerbank which I intend to use in the car (mine is 20,000mAh) for normal and parking mode, possibly connected to ignition-on power, so there is no chance my dashcam or the powerbank of exhausting the car battery.
59215c7517891c360edec8d50c2ba336.jpg

More later....

Reactions: Kip
Tried the telnet trick using the OP's suggested edits, to the Hotspot (WiFi AP) on my Android phone and the Termius app. Unfortunately my JVX powered off quickly in this mode, so went through the cycle again to take this screenshot.
659c4185ae9495ef2ba36e4ab88eb57b.jpg

Reactions: Kip
Now give us your thoughts on video recording

I know this is an old and abandoned product, but for those who like to tinker, here is my latest discovery:

WIFI_MODE=sta
# SSID

lacibaci did your JVX permit you to stay logged in, over telnet, for as long as you want? My JVX kicks me out after about 20 seconds, shutting itself down. Happened in all circumstances, whether powered by external or it's internal battery.

Maybe there is a setting (or command to issue on the CLI) to keep it powered on?

I don't recall having any problems staying connected.

Could it be a setting problem, its been so long since i have been in there with my X cam.

I did use the 40Mbps firmware but that should be no different in that respect.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
0 JooVuu 4
Back