Git2 goes diving - discussion thread

Slip-on red and magenta(green water) filters are inexpensive on Ebay.
Those made for the 40m.(no visible screws)(for Hero 4) will fit on the Git 2 case.I even found the frame sold for Hero 4 will also hold the Git 2 and match up led and button though slightly imperfectly! I 've also used the Hero 4 underwater case on my Git 2.
Gitup very cleverly designed their jewel of a cam!
Yeah Ive got some on order. Just in the meantime wondering if setting WB to red has any visible effect on the UW results?

Yeah Ive got some on order. Just in the meantime wondering if setting WB to red has any visible effect on the UW results?
Red is far too red unless you are going really deep, but you can use the custom WB to set a slightly pink WB which will be good in shallow water.
How much you need will depend on the water and may change depending on the tide so you will end up adjusting it in the editor anyway, starting off somewhere close will give better end results but you don't need to get it perfect.

Reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=54 has an excellent article about using filters in the marine environment and the difficulties inherent.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how does the auto white balance work when filming?

If I have the camera set for auto wb and stick something white -like my writing slate- in front of it every time I start to film, will it adjust the WB to the situation and keep it until I stop filming? And thus do I need to put the slate in front of the lens each new time I press the record button?

So how does the auto white balance work when filming?

If I have the camera set for auto wb and stick something white -like my writing slate- in front of it every time I start to film, will it adjust the WB to the situation and keep it until I stop filming? And thus do I need to put the slate in front of the lens each new time I press the record button?
No, the Auto WB continuously adjusts the WB, but it is likely to get it wrong underwater since it is designed for terrestrial use and it has to guess rather than calculate.

You can use your slate with it and then press the WB Lock button (menu button) which will then keep it locked until powered off. I guess you could use a coloured slate to set it to a specific colour, which would also get adjusted for lighting conditions. I think it is easier to use the Custom WB for underwater.

Hi all,

I'm new to action cam so this forum is a delight to read. I'm going to order a Git2 for scuba diving trip in Borneo, Malaysia. Malaysia is a very humid country, would you recommend those dessicant sachet to be placed inside the casing to avoid lens fogging? Would the wide angle (170 FOV) be better than the narrow (90 FOV) underwater? Is the choice of sensors be of personal or they offer advantages over another, especially underwater?

As for accessories, not getting filters but will do post-production processing. Plus, this vid posted earlier in the thread
looks amazing without filter (perhaps different water). Am getting the Go Pro waterproof case. Seems to receive better review with Git2 for underwater use. That being said, will leaving the functions all in auto mode better?

Thanks a lot :)

Hi all,

I'm new to action cam so this forum is a delight to read. I'm going to order a Git2 for scuba diving trip in Borneo, Malaysia. Malaysia is a very humid country, would you recommend those dessicant sachet to be placed inside the casing to avoid lens fogging? Would the wide angle (170 FOV) be better than the narrow (90 FOV) underwater? Is the choice of sensors be of personal or they offer advantages over another, especially underwater?

As for accessories, not getting filters but will do post-production processing. Plus, this vid posted earlier in the thread
looks amazing without filter (perhaps different water). Am getting the Go Pro waterproof case. Seems to receive better review with Git2 for underwater use. That being said, will leaving the functions all in auto mode better?

Welcome :)

You wont fit a desiccant sachet in the Gitup case, don't think you will in the GoPro one either. If the water temperature is less than the air temperature then you will get fogging in humid conditions, easiest solution is to use an air tight plastic box, eg lunch box, put a big desiccant sachet in it plus the camera and open case and leave it overnight to dry the air in the camera, then put the dry camera in the dry case before you take it out of the box. I normally keep my cameras in a dry box with a silica gel sachet anyway. Remember to keep the sachet dry by recharging it in a microwave set on low until it reaches it's dry weight when measured on the kitchen scales, you can check it is damp using the scales.

I also like the unfiltered look, looks like you are underwater, which is correct!
It is also different every time depending on the lighting, the water colour and the colour of the light reflected off the bottom, shell sand on the bottom can give some fantastic colours.

Hand held, the wider FOV is much easier to use and can focus a bit closer if you are using it in tight spaces, but small fish do end up very small. Look at the videos on YT and make your own choice.

Thanks (y)

Do you know if the the GoPro 3+ or Hero 4 underwater case fits the Git2P?

Thanks (y)

Do you know if the the GoPro 3+ or Hero 4 underwater case fits the Git2P?
From memory of what I've read, the 3 without a + does not fit because the buttons are different, but the 3+ / 4 case does. Git2 is Hero 4 shape.

Hi all,

Thin absorbant , 3/4 x1/2 inch pads approximately 1/16 inch thick are available from a brand name called Xcsource on Ebay that I use inside my waterproof cases that will fit on one of the sides of the cam. My original Yi's ,lacking a screen are an easy fit, the Star case also accepts them. On the boat I keep the cams out of the sun to minimize the effect of sun, or keep them in the water tank many dive boats have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thin absorbant , 3/4 x1/2 inch pads approximately 1/16 inch thick are available from a brand name called Xcsource on Ebay that I use inside my waterproof cases that will fit on one of the sides of the cam. My original Yi's ,lacking a screen are an easy fit, the Star case also accepts them. On the boat I keep the cams out of the sun to minimize the effect of sun, or keep them in the water tank many dive boats have.
the reason for fogging applies to all cameras in closed boxes except in extreme desert conditions. everything in nature is covered in a few monolayers of water. so the inside bits of any of the cameras, independent of brand. Turn them on and they start to use up the battery energy which can heat up internal electronics (chips) which then liberates some of that water into the trapped air. This increases the humidity and it has nowhere to go, so if conditions are right there is condensation on the relatively speaking cooler box surface. Bingo Fogging

Gel pack dessicants will absorb the moisture in the air in the waterproof cases overnight!

Back