Someone with a death wish

Mozzie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A119, B1W, A119S, A129+ Duo
Found this idiot that didn't care about his stupidity. He could have used the paved footpath next to him. Luckily I saw him, because he was in the shadows around the corner at a point where drivers are looking the other way for merging traffic.

Found this idiot that didn't care about his stupidity. He could have used the paved footpath next to him. Luckily I saw him, because he was in the shadows around the corner at a point where drivers are looking the other way for merging traffic.

I don’t quite understand how someone could be comfortable doing that, but one of the problems is that it is illegal in many areas to drive things like that on the sidewalk, or even ride a bike (I’m in the US).
I couldn’t do anything like that in the road, I would still try my luck with the sidewalk.

I don’t quite understand how someone could be comfortable doing that, but one of the problems is that it is illegal in many areas to drive things like that on the sidewalk, or even ride a bike (I’m in the US).
I couldn’t do anything like that in the road, I would still try my luck with the sidewalk.
Here, the road is the correct place for them and for bikes, however you must use the correct side of the road and follow the same rules as everyone else, including making yourself easily visible!

She looks well away from traffic in your clip. Did she try and cross the lanes?
At 13 second mark, you can see the cam car going from one set of lanes to the other. At some point the shoulder she is on would end as the lane the car cam would eventually be in the left or second from left lane as it goes into the "collector" set of lanes. Or she would have to cross the bull nose to continue on the express set of lanes. In reddit they figure the accident occurred about 10 minutes afterwards.

We have a few accidents where cars on the shoulder and somehow someone hits them from behind. This highway, 427, is to me the most difficult to drive on as exits on this North south highway can be on the left or right side on highways it approaches and its multi lane. Drivers need to make numerous lane changes in a short distance. If I have to go South West, from my home which is North east of there, fortunately there is another highway.

Another fairly well-known phenomenon is that we steer towards what we are looking at so a driver trying to discern information about the pedestrian might end up hitting her.
Sad outcome.
Over here in Michigan, I've seen people stop their vehicles on the inside lane next to the divider wall. That leaves them with no practical way to cross lanes of traffic on foot to reach help. Always amazes me.

It is the same in all these situations, they do not think that someone may not notice and could actually kill them.

I think that pedestrians and cyclists/motorcyclists often overestimate their visibility. I think about it constantly when walking or riding.

I think that pedestrians and cyclists/motorcyclists often overestimate their visibility. I think about it constantly when walking or riding.
that assumes they actually put SOME thought into it. around here, it seems like if they think about it at all, they think "how INVISIBLE can i make myself? YES that's it! I'll wear a black hoodie and black pants with black socks and black sandals and then walk in the middle of the road at night! what could possibly go wrong?"

I occasionally see vehicles like that using the roads. Sometimes they are doing odd things, but it's usually because they are trying to overcome some difficulty, and they are doing their best to get to safety. That's fine by me.
But I've never seen one simply going against the traffic flow when they had a way out.

I too have noticed all the pedestrians crossing the roads casually in dark clothing at night. Lucky that I did notice them! Got me thinking why a country like mine where it's so often dark and gloomy has such a preference for dark clothes.
And the cyclists... so many with feeble rear lights that run on watch batteries, and no front lights. They filter (lane split), and overtake on the inside at junctions ... at night ... without a front light. Do they have no instinct for self-preservation at all? Decent lights can be bought for next to nothing these days, most recharge via USB so they can't even argue battery cost is an issue. Sheesh! :mad:

Here, the road is the correct place for them
Are you certain about that? I don't see invalid carriages/disabled scooters/whatever the PC description is nowadays, on the road acting as vehicles all that often. But that may be because most of my driving is done in London and I don't think they'd survive long on the roads, and they know it. To describe today's London drivers as inconsiderate would be a comical understatement. (OK, the complete jerks may be a minority, but they are a very big - and dangerous - minority.)

Edit> On reflection, disabled people have grants for getting modified cars, so that has neatly sidestepped the problem on the whole.

Rules for users of powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters (Called Invalid Carriages in law)

Rule 36 There is one class of manual wheelchair (called a Class 1 invalid carriage) and two classes of powered wheelchairs and powered mobility scooters. Manual wheelchairs and Class 2 vehicles are those with an upper speed limit of 4 mph (6 km/h) and are designed to be used on pavements. Class 3 vehicles are those with an upper speed limit of 8 mph (12 km/h) and are equipped to be used on the road as well as the pavement.

Rule 42 When on the road, Class 3 vehicles should travel in the direction of the traffic.

Last edited:
P.S. Mobility scooters (the nice term for them) are the only class of road user I've never had any kind of conflict with.*
Funny how being forced to face up to harsh reality ... helps you face up to reality and behave sensibly.

*Other than stealing all the good parking spaces.;)

Back