Mobius Telephoto Dashcam

Photos I've seen of the air in both places look pretty bad....and quite similar. They look like scenes from the Blade Runner films, especially the ones of skyscrapers glowing through the smog at night in Beijing.

have never seen Blade Runner so not sure how that looked but I can tell you the air in Beijing is filthy, when you blow your nose it's all black in the tissue, have never experienced that anywhere else I've been

have never seen Blade Runner so not sure how that looked but I can tell you the air in Beijing is filthy, when you blow your nose it's all black in the tissue, have never experienced that anywhere else I've been

Even the photos don't convey what it must be like to live in that environment. Sounds horrific.

Even the photos don't convey what it must be like to live in that environment. Sounds horrific.

there's already a lot of health issues for the locals, I can only see it getting worse, they are taking steps to improve things but I think a lot of it is too little too late

Back on topic, here is a screen shot from the Treeye 6mm ƒ/1.2 lens. Focus is a bit off and I had no time to deal with that today but the interesting thing to note here is that this is one of the lenses I received without an IR-cut filter. The results here are entirely achieved by adjusting the RGB values in the mSetup Mobius app! After several months of tinkering with this on the Varifical 2.8mm-12mm ƒ/1.4 IR lens I've been experimenting with I've managed to get the color balance relatively close to normal with no IR-cut filter! As far as I know, nobody has ever done this before (in camera), primarily because the Mobius is the only platform that provides this degree of correction capability and perhaps nobody has thought to try it. I guess it helps that I have a professional background in CMYK and RGB color correction but anyone could do this really. Without the color corrections everything would look magenta.

6mmIRa.jpg

Last edited:
Back on topic, here is a screen shot from the Treeye 6mm ƒ/1.2 lens. Focus is a bit off and I had no time to deal with that today but the interesting thing to note here is that this is one of the lenses I received without an IR-cut filter. The results here are entirely achieved by adjusting the RGB values in the mSetup Mobius app! After several months of tinkering with this on the Varifical 2.8mm-12mm ƒ/1.4 IR lens I've been experimenting with I've managed to get the color balance relatively close to normal with no IR-cut filter! As far as I know, nobody has ever done this before, primarily because the Mobius is the only platform that provides this degree of correction capability and perhaps nobody has thought to try it. I guess it helps that I have a professional background in CMYK and RGB color correction but anyone could do this really. Without the color corrections everything would look magenta.

View attachment 35238
Good colour correction.

Apart from the missing IR filter, how are you getting on with that 6mm lens? I found mine to be a bit tricky to focus, which is one downside of an F1.2 lens.

Good colour correction.

Apart from the missing IR filter, how are you getting on with that 6mm lens? I found mine to be a bit tricky to focus, which is one downside of an F1.2 lens.

You're quite right, it is tricky to focus this lens. That's why it's not quite right in the above screen shot. One issue for me is that we are now deep into very harsh, bitter cold, often snowy New England winter conditions so I'm focusing through my closed office window rather than having it wide open like I was accustomed to when working with the varifocal. I've also had to wait for nice bright sunny days for good focusing conditions as I find it challenging when it is overcast and the sunny days have been few and far between lately or I've been too busy with other obligations when the sun has been out. So far that $7.50 varifocal ƒ/1.2 absolutely blows away these Treeye and Yumiki lenses for sharpness and contrast. Then again, I haven't yet really explored their potential and have a few things I'd like to try before reaching any final conclusions.

Good colour correction.

Here's a shot from a week or so ago where the focus was pretty good. When my vehicle is moving things don't look quite so good, especially in lower light levels. Then again, this ƒ/1.2 lens make this image look much brighter than the actual conditions appeared to the naked eye at 4:20 PM just before the winter solstice here in northern New England. Note that the street lights are on.
6mm_good-focus.jpg

BTW, in the photo above, again note the accuracy of the color correction. Even as a color correction guy it still kind of blows my mind that it is even possible to do this with a lens that has no IR-cut filter. Interestingly, (to me, at least :)) the yellow light from the street lights is improving the color balance in this IR image. Note how the snow on the roof of the building directly under the street light is a more neutral white while over on the right away from the light the snow has a slight blueish tint. Essentially the yellowish light from the streetlights in the parking lot are balancing the blueish bias from the IR corrected camera.

Last edited:
Yes, your colour balance is looking very good. These F1.2 lenses do gather a lot of light, to the extent that the camera records the scene brighter than reality as has been mentioned before.

You're quite right, it is tricky to focus this lens. That's why it's not quite right in the above screen shot. One issue for me is that we are now deep into very harsh, bitter cold, often snowy New England winter conditions so I'm focusing through my closed office window rather than having it wide open like I was accustomed to when working with the varifocal. I've also had to wait for nice bright sunny days for good focusing conditions as I find it challenging when it is overcast and the sunny days have been few and far between lately or I've been too busy with other obligations when the sun has been out. So far that $7.50 varifocal ƒ/1.2 absolutely blows away these Treeye and Yumiki lenses for sharpness and contrast. Then again, I haven't yet really explored their potential and have a few things I'd like to try before reaching any final conclusions.

I wanted to add this in case anyone is going to order one of the varifocal lenses from Bangood. I ordered one in 3 mega pixels even though I read the caveat about the lenses at the time, which seemed to be over with at the time of my order. When it arrived I had an important appointment and was running late so I just put it in the camera things box, a couple days ago I pulled it out to have a look, it was the 2 MP lens! Oh well, not worth the hassle to send it back so I'm keeping it.
I have a feeling they are both identical anyway! So if you are contemplating ordering one put a note in the order that you have bought the 3MP one and that is what you want to receive, also have them install a cut IR filter (put that in the note also)! I asked for the cut IR, but didn't get it.

BTW, I contacted and asked what size the round cut IR filter was for this lens, I was told 10.5mm (This is what Treeye sells). Problem is I can't find my calipers to verify that sounds right, so if you are ordering a cut IR filter for one of these lenses please measure it first to be reasonably sure the size you order is correct! Treeye was contacted because Bangood doesn't offer contact questions.

Last edited:
I wanted to add this in case anyone is going to order one of the varifocal lenses from Treeye. I ordered one in 3 mega pixels even though I read the caveat about the lenses at the time, which seemed to be over with at the time of my order. When it arrived I had an important appointment and was running late so I just put it in the camera things box, a couple days ago I pulled it out to have a look, it was the 2 MP lens! Oh well, not worth the hassle to send it back so I'm keeping it.
I have a feeling they are both identical anyway! So if you are contemplating ordering one put a note in the order that you have bought the 3MP one and that is what you want to receive, also have them install a cut IR filter (put that in the note also)!

BTW, I contacted Treeye and asked what size the round cut IR filter was for this lens, I was told 10.5mm (This is what Treeye sells). Problem is I can't find my calipers to verify that sounds right, so if you are ordering a cut IR filter for one of these lenses please measure it first to be reasonably sure the size you order is correct!

So which varifocal lens did you buy? So far we've all been talking about these telephoto primary lenses from Treeye.

As for the IR-cut filter, the most common size I see available on eBay is 9.5mm. I ordered a couple (a "2 pack") because 9.5mm would fit that Varifocal IR 2.8mm-12mm lens I've got even though 9.5mm is just a little smaller than required. It will work because there is a lip around the rear element that will take up the difference if I can center it properly. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the rear element on this lens is deeply recessed so I'm still scratching my head about how to go about installing it. Anyway, it's quite possible that the lens you ordered may also accommodate a 9.5mm IR-cut filter even if Treeye says it needs a 10.5mm but it is also quite possible that the rear element on the lens you ordered could be recessed as well.

BTW, I contacted Treeye and asked what size the round cut IR filter was for this lens, I was told 10.5mm (This is what Treeye sells). Problem is I can't find my calipers to verify that sounds right, so if you are ordering a cut IR filter for one of these lenses please measure it first to be reasonably sure the size you order is correct!
Treeye fitted my filters for me before shipping, which saved me from figuring out the right size and what glue to buy. That's worth more in my time than the cost of the lens.

Treeye fitted my filters for me before shipping, which saved me from figuring out the right size and what glue to buy. That's worth more in my time than the cost of the lens.

Assuming they remember to install the IR filters before shipping! :p

@Dashmellow
If you've got the lens glue, roll up a tube from paper to the correct diameter and use that for an insertion tool- maybe the only case where one size really does fit all :)

Phil

@Dashmellow
If you've got the lens glue, roll up a tube from paper to the correct diameter and use that for an insertion tool- maybe the only case where one size really does fit all :)

Phil

Thanks for the suggestion. At this point inserting the filter doesn't seem to be the hard part. This difficulty will be applying cement and positioning the filter without getting any on the filter or the rear lens element which is about 6mm inside the threaded M12 lens tube. I think I'll need to do some practice runs apply glue with a toothpick once I settle on which cement to use.

Last edited:
So which varifocal lens did you buy? So far we've all been talking about these telephoto primary lenses from Treeye.

As for the IR-cut filter, the most common size I see available on eBay is 9.5mm. I ordered a couple (a "2 pack") because 9.5mm would fit that Varifocal IR 2.8mm-12mm lens I've got even though 9.5mm is just a little smaller than required. It will work because there is a lip around the rear element that will take up the difference if I can center it properly. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the rear element on this lens is deeply recessed so I'm still scratching my head about how to go about installing it. Anyway, it's quite possible that the lens you ordered may also accommodate a 9.5mm IR-cut filter even if Treeye says it needs a 10.5mm but it is also quite possible that the rear element on the lens you ordered could be recessed as well.

I stated things wrong relative to where I got the Varifocal lens from, it came from Bangood. It's the 2 Mega Pixel one that I received, but I ordered the 3MP 2.8-12mm.

2MP 2.8-12 Bangood. From the rear, the lens element is recessed 2 to 3/16" into the barrel, there is a slight lip around that lens element, there is no lip around the barrel opening, just a straight shot down to the lens element. I was going to glue the IR filter across the back of the lens barrel, is this wrong? This is the way I see all the ones on line installed.

I got Treeye mixed up because I had just checked them to see if a lens I ordered from them had been shipped, giving me their name, on the brain so to speak! I'll correct my post.

If I understand what you are saying correctly, you are going to drop the IR lens down the barrel to the lip of the rear element lens, try to get it centered and glue it. That would give you a recess from the rear of the barrel to the IR filter. That doesn't sound right to me! However it's all new to me so I'm not sure.

Whoops, I really messed up. I apologize for jumping/butting in with another subject (the verifocal lens)! I reread the above and saw you guys were discussing the 1.2 lenses from Treeye and then read the comment about the Varifocal lens being better and my brain (or lack of) took over and ran with my problem.

Last edited:
I stated things wrong relative to where I got the Varifocal lens from, it came from Bangood. It's the 2 Mega Pixel one that I received, but I ordered the 3MP 2.8-12mm.

2MP 2.8-12 Bangood. From the rear, the lens element is recessed 2 to 3/16" into the barrel, there is a slight lip around that lens element, there is no lip around the barrel opening, just a straight shot down to the lens element. I was going to glue the IR filter across the back of the lens barrel, is this wrong? This is the way I see all the ones on line installed.

I got Treeye mixed up because I had just checked them to see if a lens I ordered from them had been shipped, giving me their name, on the brain so to speak! I'll correct my post.

If I understand what you are saying correctly, you are going to drop the IR lens down the barrel to the lip of the rear element lens, try to get it centered and glue it. That would give you a recess from the rear of the barrel to the IR filter. That doesn't sound right to me! However it's all new to me so I'm not sure.

Whoops, I really messed up. I apologize for jumping/butting in with another subject (the verifocal lens)! I reread the above and saw you guys were discussing the 1.2 lenses from Treeye and then read the comment about the Varifocal lens being better and my brain (or lack of) took over and ran with my problem.

It's a bummer that Bangood sent the 2MP lens instead of the 3MP but in all likelihood I think you won't notice any significant difference in the results.

It's also unfortunate that Banggood is so vague and unreliable about which lens they actually ship out. Many people, including me received the 3MP lens regardless of which one they order so it seemed like that would be the case going forward. Now it seems they just ship out whichever one they happen to have in stock. I was aware that you can buy these varifocal lenses from many other sources but I wish I had known at the time I bought mine that they are widely available at such very low prices from other sources than Banggood, including many variants. These varifocals are primarily used in CCTV cameras (which is why they don't include IR-cut filters) and that's why they are so common. In fact, recently when I tore down an old vandal dome type CCTV camera I've had kicking around I found an almost identical varifocal lens inside, except that it was 2.8-10mm with a smaller maximum aperture.

If anyone is interested in buying one of these M12 Varifocals at a good price it looks like AliExpress is the place to go. Dozens of vendors, including Treeye sell them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...1223104149&SearchText=2.8-12mm+varifocal+lens

As for mounting the IR-cut filter, the ones I ordered are 9.5mm in diameter and therefore too small to be mounted on the rear of the threaded tube at the back of the lens barrel. I do plan to see if I can mount the IR filter directly behind the recessed rear optical element of the lens on the lip deep inside the tube. Mounting the IR-cut filter close to the rear element avoids any internal reflections inside the lens barrel. If you mount the filter at the back of the lens barrel tube recessed 6mm away from the rear lens element, there is a risk that light traveling through the lens may bounce off the IR filter back towards the lens and cause a loss of image contrast. You could certainly try it though, it won't hurt anything and it might work OK. Experimentation is one of the fun and educational things about DIY. :)

Last edited:
Mobius - 12mm (1/2.5"), f/2.0 & 12mm (1/2.5"), f/1.8

Top - f/2.0 (Treeye), bottom - f/1.8 (MINRITECH)

Evening

Night

The MINRITECH one tested earlier doesn't have any visible coating, flares a bit too much.

Now that I know which 12mm is better, time to put it against the 8mm f/1.5 that arrived today. :)

Back