The driver of this vehicle RA55 UXT tailgating me at 70mph

Blink Blink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The driver of the Skoda Octavia with registration RA55 UXT in this video decided to tailgate me on the fast lane a few days ago as it rained. I had no chance to speed off because I would have ended up tailgating the vehicle in front of my bike neither could I switch lanes because there were vehicles in the second lane. After a fearful few minutes, I was able to switch lanes and escape a possible crash. Hopefully this video would let other road users realize how badly this could have ended and whoever the driver is, he stumbles on this video online and realises how dangerous this was.

looking at the video it appears you had several opportunities to move into the centre lane if you were concerned about the skoda and ease off on the throttle, looks like you were hogging the fast lane.

Looks like you pulled out just in front of him, you were clearly accelerating at the start, you, slowed him down, then when he flashed you to say "let me passed" you illegally stayed in the overtaking lane despite both other lanes being empty, later on there is plenty of space for you to pull in either behind or in front of the ambulance, looks enough space for an HGV and you only had a small motorbike! You could have slowed down to the same speed as the ambulance before pulling in so that you had as much time as you needed, the Skoda wasn't going to ram you off the road, it just wanted to get passed your slow motorbike.

Not sure what speed you were doing at the start but it certainly wasn't legal! Riding a dark coloured and hard to see motorbike at illegal speeds down the overtaking lane of a motorway on a dark winter day in the pouring rain is very risky, why were you there in the first place?

looking at the video it appears you had several opportunities to move into the centre lane if you were concerned about the skoda and ease off on the throttle, looks like you were hogging the fast lane.

To ease into the centre lane, I would have to ease off the throttle which means I would get hit by the skoda instantly. Also I had to make sure I just didn't move into the centre lane without ensuring I have a good gap to get into safely (that would have been a death wish if I had done that). I couldn't even be hogging the fast lane cos there was a car in front of me (the black car) and I was giving that car the required distance to ensure I did not run into it.

Looks like you pulled out just in front of him, you were clearly accelerating at the start, you, slowed him down, then when he flashed you to say "let me passed" you illegally stayed in the overtaking lane despite both other lanes being empty, later on there is plenty of space for you to pull in either behind or in front of the ambulance, looks enough space for an HGV and you only had a small motorbike! You could have slowed down to the same speed as the ambulance before pulling in so that you had as much time as you needed, the Skoda wasn't going to ram you off the road, it just wanted to get passed your slow motorbike.

Not sure what speed you were doing at the start but it certainly wasn't legal! Riding a dark coloured and hard to see motorbike at illegal speeds down the overtaking lane of a motorway on a dark winter day in the pouring rain is very risky, why were you there in the first place?

Naaaaa...didnt pull out in front of him and I was not speeding. The first time I noticed him was when he flashed me (at this time I was watching the car in front of me and wondering if there was a vehicle in front of the black car itself).
As I pointed out, I couldn't move into either space easily without causing an accident. I was monitoring the car behind, checking for a good gap to get into while it was raining and also watching the distance between myself and the car in front. To be honest as a car driver myself, I would never drive the way he drove which was wrong in all ways.

Also, by the time I switched lanes, he started the whole process on the black car. The skoda driver could not switch lanes without hitting me and I could not undertake the black car which left us all at a stalemate.

P.S: MY bike is not a small bike :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Naaaaa...didnt pull out in front of him and I was not speeding. The first time I noticed him was when he flashed me...
Can we see the video starting a bit earlier so that we can see how he came to be just behind you without you seeing him?
And so that we can see why you were accelerating and changing gear at the start...

I could work out the speed from the rate the white lines are passing, but I'm not going to bother since it is obvious the rate is a lot faster than the motorway speed limit!

As I pointed out, I couldn't move into either space easily without causing an accident. I was monitoring the car behind, checking for a good gap to get into...
Yet when you did pull in, you did so about 0.1 seconds in front of the car you had just passed, definitely not a reasonable gap and considerably smaller than the gaps you had previously refused to use.

P.S: MY bike is not a small bike :ROFLMAO:
So how big is it? Sounds like a tiny engine screaming away at high revs!

Can we see the video starting a bit earlier so that we can see how he came to be just behind you without you seeing him?
And so that we can see why you were accelerating and changing gear at the start...

I could work out the speed from the rate the white lines are passing, but I'm not going to bother since it is obvious the rate is a lot faster than the motorway speed limit!

Yet when you did pull in, you did so about 0.1 seconds in front of the car you had just passed, definitely not a reasonable gap and considerably smaller than the gaps you had previously refused to use.

So how big is it? Sounds like a tiny engine screaming away at high revs!

No matter how we look at this, we would always have our own opinions which we are all entitled to. The main issue though is "he was tailgating" which is wrong.

Also, by the time I switched lanes, he started the whole process on the black car. The skoda driver could not switch lanes without hitting me and I could not undertake the black car which left us all at a stalemate.
You were intentionally blocking the black car from pulling in?
And putting yourself and your little all black (invisible) bike in the blind spot of the Skoda so that if he did change lanes without seeing you then you would have video of him "forcing you out of lane"?

Maybe you could post this bit of video too so that we can judge what happened...

The Skoda may have been following at closer than the recommended distance, but you were on a bike so he had a good view of what was in front of you and could see that the traffic ahead was still moving at normal speeds, so "he was tailgating" is questionable, maybe more a case of him trying to tell you to move over and let him passed, he didn't stay really close for very long. He also has 4 wheel braking instead of your 1 wheel braking and a vehicle that isn't going to fall over if the brakes lock up on the very wet road - he can brake and turn a lot faster than you can and if he does have an accident he is reasonably safe since his vehicle has very decent crumple zones etc.

No matter how we look at this, we would always have our own opinions which we are all entitled to. The main issue though is "he was tailgating" which is wrong.
You posted the video and everyone else will judge it.

If you wanted to make the Skoda driver look bad then I think you failed, most people will see his driving as "normal behaviour" though probably not "acceptable behaviour", your driving on the other hand? Maybe "very risky"?

You were intentionally blocking the black car from pulling in?
And putting yourself and your little all black (invisible) bike in the blind spot of the Skoda so that if he did change lanes without seeing you then you would have video of him "forcing you out of lane"?

I was not blocking the black car cos he had enough room to pull into (nothing in front of me and him also) and I could not undertake him which would have been wrong. The driver of the black car just decided to sit on the third lane all the way till I exited later on which makes me wonder how it all ended between the black car and the skoda driver :unsure:

If you wanted to make the Skoda driver look bad then I think you failed, most people will see his driving as "normal behaviour" though probably not "acceptable behaviour", your driving on the other hand? Maybe "very risky"?
Normal behaviour but still "wrong". That's the key to this whole post :cool:

Last edited:
While the tailgating was wrong, I saw spaces where you could have moved over with a lot more safety than insisting on remaining in front of the idiot until a fully legal space emerged. On a bike you ride to survive even if that means doing something less than fully legal. It's your butt on the line and you'll always come out bad in any crash so I'd risk a ticket which is more affordable than a funeral. And I've done that more times than I can remember when I was riding ;)Right or wrong doesn't matter to dead people.

Phil

While the tailgating was wrong, I saw spaces where you could have moved over with a lot more safety than insisting on remaining in front of the idiot until a fully legal space emerged. On a bike you ride to survive even if that means doing something less than fully legal. It's your butt on the line and you'll always come out bad in any crash so I'd risk a ticket which is more affordable than a funeral. And I've done that more times than I can remember when I was riding ;)Right or wrong doesn't matter to dead people.

Phil

Wisely said Phil. You know that proverb that says "when you playback a situation, we begin to see what we could have done better"? This is a good example. I guess at the time I was really focused on the big car in my side mirrors mirrors looking ready to mow me down :ROFLMAO:. Thanks again for the tips and comments, it was a good eye opener and I would surely be using that as part of my PPS (personal protection strategy) when I am out riding again :cool:.

echoed, right at the beginning of the footage, the Mercedes A class you passed, you could have pulled back into that lane less than 5 seconds later and I honestly think that's why the Skoda guy flashed you. You should always be fully aware of other vehicles in your vicinity but never ever make your journey about them

Certainly dangerous and wrong what he did. As stated by others, idiots like this should be encouraged to pass and move their endangerment elsewhere.

Would like to see the front view from the start. But from what we do see Blink Blink was moving faster than traffic in the middle lane, so it was quite proper to use the right hand lane. You aren't supposed to chop and change lanes unnecessarily. Also he was not slowing down the Skoda, since there was a car ahead in the right hand lane.
Skoda driver was a typical motorway moron who's too stupid to understand the vehicle in front isn't slowing him down, it's all the traffic ahead of that vehicle. The safe gaps between vehicles are not an indication that people are going too slowly or that there is a reasonable prospect of overtaking.

I don't think he was threatening to deliberately ram the bike, so in that position I think I too would have continued, keeping a steady speed and a safe distance from the car in front to ensure no need for emergency braking.

Would like to see the front view from the start. But from what we do see Blink Blink was moving faster than traffic in the middle lane, so it was quite proper to use the right hand lane. You aren't supposed to chop and change lanes unnecessarily. Also he was not slowing down the Skoda, since there was a car ahead in the right hand lane.
Skoda driver was a typical motorway moron who's too stupid to understand the vehicle in front isn't slowing him down, it's all the traffic ahead of that vehicle. The safe gaps between vehicles are not an indication that people are going too slowly or that there is a reasonable prospect of overtaking.

I don't think he was threatening to deliberately ram the bike, so in that position I think I too would have continued, keeping a steady speed and a safe distance from the car in front to ensure no need for emergency braking.

Your post nailed it @Rajagra with the way you broke down every section of the clip. The thoughts playing in my head all through was "what if the car in front of me slowed down suddenly", "what if I switch lanes into the second lane without doing a proper life saver"? So many what ifs and I was still eating up the miles on the road with me checking my mirrors as rain clouded my vision. The good news is I have learned a lot from this situation and I am happy I didn't end up a statistics on the road (y)

Cheers @Rajagra :cool:

I'm not convinced, you have front camera but you don't give that video, also what was happening before this is unknown.
I was once in a situation where i was driving a two lane higway steady 85 kmh with cruise control, a bike sped up agressively and came in front of me from exit but then he starts to drive like 80 kmh and i was closing and closing, i didn't mind that but when i passed this bike slowly at that same 85 kmh he got angry and passed me and drove away at full speed.
I'm sure if he had camera he could publish similar video of me where i was the bad guy.
So if you want my sympathy publish a video that is long enough, not just short fragment.

I'm not convinced, you have front camera but you don't give that video, also what was happening before this is unknown.
I'm not planning to convince anyone cos to extract this little footage, edit it, and then add the front camera footage to the back footage was a pain :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: . Incident happened on the 2nd January and I couldn't even get it sorted to post until the 5th of January :rolleyes:.

So if you want my sympathy publish a video that is long enough, not just short fragment.
Unfortunately, I'm not after anyone's sympathy. I posted this to show how bad it could have ended and to learn from other road users opinions and comments (which I have to be honest :cool:(y)).

You clearly want something with this video because you put his/hers registration number in headline and in video.
To me this looks like one sided public bashing with selected isolated video fragment.

You clearly want something with this video because you put his/hers registration number in headline and in video.
To me this looks like one sided public bashing with selected isolated video fragment.
If that's how you see it, it's fine

The front camera views show plenty of opportunity to pull in. When you eventually do, at 2:00, you are plainly just about to undertake the car in lane 3 as the footage ends. Your road outrage = a death wish imo.

By the way, it's not the "fast lane", it's lane 3.

Back