GP exits drone mkt

The Hero 6 seems to have a lot of issues, not sure they have dropped the price enough to make it good value.

Someone trying to use it as a high quality dashcam:
https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-HERO-6-Low-Light-Problems-v1-6/td-p/101514

7cae784dfb.jpg

Overall, I'd count that image as grounds for divorce. The sensor shows overload (left green and street light with vertical streaks), the noise is heinous... continuing on is too painful.

Being the first into a market area never guarantees success in the long term. Sad for GP but that's how it often goes and they won't be the last to suffer such ignonimity.

Phil

Being the first into a market area never guarantees success in the long term. Sad for GP but that's how it often goes and they won't be the last to suffer such ignonimity.

Phil

one of the challenges for GoPro is they're a marketing company before they're a camera company, it's like saying Redbull is a drink company, the drinks are just something that funds their marketing

Reactions: Mtz
Maybe so, but someone's laughing all the way to the bank, and it's not you or me.

A 200 dollar typical Chinese cam, way-overpriced, each rendition, and usually one of three unsatisfied buyers!

DJI have responded to the news with a new drone :D

Over 30% lighter than a Hero 6
13 minutes flight time - matches the Karma
No need for registration since at 80g it is well under the 300g limit.
Visual positioning (missing on the Karma)
Launches from and lands on your hand.
SDK for you to program it's flights
DIY accessories to control with the SDK
VR headset compatible
They have limited the resolution to 5MP for photos and HD video so it doesn't compete with their bigger drones.

Price: £99 :eek:

Watch the video: https://store.dji.com/product/tello

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
This is puzzling as DPR's report says GP left the drone market space altogether. DPR has added GP's press release that covers this topic and the overall state at GP.

check this out, allegedly former gopro employees recently let go...

Scroll down for Older comments...and in main reddit thread another guy with inside infos...

DJI have responded to the news with a new drone :D

Over 30% lighter than a Hero 6
13 minutes flight time - matches the Karma
No need for registration since at 80g it is well under the 300g limit.
Visual positioning (missing on the Karma)
Launches from and lands on your hand.
SDK for you to program it's flights
DIY accessories to control with the SDK
VR headset compatible
They have limited the resolution to 5MP for photos and HD video so it doesn't compete with their bigger drones.

Price: £99 :eek:
Somehow my sleep-deprived brain turned that into "lookee here what GoPro is going to do". The only puzzle is how "DJI" slid right past me. My error. Nevermind. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along. Nothing to see here...

Somehow my sleep-deprived brain turned that into "lookee here what GoPro is going to do". The only puzzle is how "DJI" slid right past me. My error. Nevermind. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along. Nothing to see here...

makes more sense now :)

Back