I hate yi 4k+ and yi 4k.

iseeu1001

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought it would be fixed when I got the yi 4k+ but when the camera gets hot my video stops recording and it said it needs to be cooled down. Which makes no sense because I bought the yi 4k+ for a reason is to use as a mutli cam and I had a yi 4k but I though the heating issue would be fixed. Whats the point in having a 4k+ cam if you can't even use as a dash cam. I like that it is mini+everything and that I can use mounts like a gopro to put it anywhere but I don't like it that it has an over heating problem just like the yi 4k. I feel like I wasted almost $500 buying the 2. Should have just gotten a proper dash cam... Anyone know of a good dash cam under $100 that is good enough and has a clear picture at night also. I drive for a living so having a good clear picture will be a +.

And yes before you tell me I do take out the battery and run the camera via cable in car.

Last edited:
if you're using it as a dashcam then I wouldn't reasonably expect it to work for that, the in car environment is too harsh for it to work for extended periods

That was one of the main purpose I bought it for though :( and now its not refundable because I have had it since 35 days.

EDIT:
Is this any good? I like it that it has a hidden camera inside the mirror itself which is strange but good for backwards shots to.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XT6C92C

Last edited:
Many seem to go for action cameras for use as dashcams, i wonder where that come from cuz i cant say i can recall anyone recommending the use of a action camera as dashcam.

My take is that they are mostly attracted by resolution *(4k, 60p..)

Yes I want the 4K 60fps that most dash cams can’t do. You 4K+ says I can do a dash cam with battery out which is a fail due to overheating.

none can, and with good reason
There’s no reason for not supporting 4K or even 2k for this reason because usually images are more crisp and clear compare to 1080p 60 fps

There’s no reason for not supporting 4K

of course there are reasons or the market would be there already, 4k60 is very demanding, not as big an issue for a sport cam application where the duration needed is most often quite short but go doing multiple hours of recording and there's all sorts of issues, low light results are not there with current technology either

I have experimented with using Yi 4k+ plus as a dashcam. I live in a moderate climate of Bay Area CA USA so very warm temperatures are usually not a problem. The camera far outperforms Mini 0806/Mobius 2 and even REXSO Explorer K(which is also stabilized 4k@30fps. You don't need a whole lot to mount. You can use black double sticky tape if you want with some wedges.

I do not know why Yi 4k+ does not have a car mode. Explorer K has a 'car mode' which auto turns off/on (with auto record/stop) and loop whenever it detects power or stops detecting power. It is so easy to make that option. I don't know why it i such a novel concept. I paid 210$ for it which is not that much more for than most other good dash cams 100-150$. Street Guardian is around 200$.

Many seem to go for action cameras for use as dashcams, i wonder where that come from cuz i cant say i can recall anyone recommending the use of a action camera as dashcam.

I probably have at some point as I used a GoPro for a long period of time. However, it's going to depend on your climate. I'm in the UK. If the guy above is in eg.Nevada, then it's going to be much harder to keep thermal issues at bay in that climate.

Using it as a Parking Cam may create issues also.

I recorded a 6-700 km drive last summer on the 1 day that had the most summer like weather about it ( still lackluster compared to what summer days can be here in the country if you are lucky )
And i used the SJ 6 Legend recording 1080/60, and it performed really well not least since i was also able to use the narrow FOV and so have less than a dashcam have in the footage.
I think this are doable just about anywhere on the globe, at least if unlike mine you have a car with air condition.
But there can be no substitute for a dashcam for day 2 day driving, you can also fall in the water with a smoke diver apparatus on the back and be fine, but really if you was planning for it better get proper diving equipment.

Well regarding dashcam use, there are often some limitations in action cameras. They are not
intended for that but rather a action cam. Even though they should be able to provide loop recording
and a few other things. These are just firmware issues.

Regarding the overheating, complaints are justified, under normal use it should not overheat, and
this should have been tested before the camera was put into production. From what I can tell the
H2 or H12 Ambarella chip has a range of -20°C to +85°C and that is often the TDP value.

With most practical applications you could exceed these values if you do not do a proper design.
Classic mistakes that I know of are the Sony a5100, a6000, a6300, a6500 mirrorless cameras. They
overheat due to poor cooling that you fix easy with a thermal pad and some modifications. The issue here
is that they should have done this at the factory when the issue started and customers complained.

Then you try to fix the problem and release a new batch, Sony said it was due to chip getting hot
but in reality is was rather poor choice of not to include additional cooling as they knew this could
become a problem.

In your case you might just have a bad batch or a early revision where this was a issue and down
the line it was fixed. Early adopers always run a higher risk of bugs, errors etc.

I think its hard for any human or company to admit that they made a really stupid mistake they should have not done, it seem like many think doing that will reflect on them in a negative manner.
Where we few sane people know that's not the case, if anything it is a sign of strength, not least if that mistake are never made again.

Has anyone tried altering the case by drilling small holes for air ventilation in their Yi 4k/4k+(not sure where the best place to drill the holes would be without damaging the internal components)? I have seen someone do it on a sub $100 camera like Explorer K with improved results in heat dissipation. I am actually considering doing it on the Explorer K too because it loses all focus after 10-20 minutes of continuous recording at 2k or 4k.

Buy a cheap waterproof case on eBay and have at it!

Right: a Fireman's Scott airpak is not suitable scuba equipment!

That was one of the main purpose I bought it for though :( and now its not refundable because I have had it since 35 days.

EDIT:
Is this any good? I like it that it has a hidden camera inside the mirror itself which is strange but good for backwards shots to.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XT6C92C
Open a case with Yi, they have a warehouse in wash.state and have replaced my 4k+ after 4 mos.
Just realized this is an old post,sorry!

Back