The OWL Cam - developed by engineers from Apple, Drop Cam and Microsoft

Well, back on topic then, I've been thinking about the ONE feature of the OWL cam I really like and that is the ability to YELL at people from anywhere in the world if they mess with your car. In fact, I'm looking forward to the day when ALL gadgets will have that feature! When a friend reaches into your refrigerator for the last beer you can yell at them even if you are out in the garage. Imagine being able to yell at anyone who messes with anything you own even if you are not there! The future looks bright!

Seriously, the OWL cam seems to have some interesting technology, some of which is pushing the envelope but all in all I don't see these selling well to anyone other than people who really have no idea what a dash cam is really supposed to do.
It sounds very impressive that former engineers from Apple, Drop Cam and Microsoft are behind this project and I'll bet some clever marketing firm is responsible for touting that but I'm starting to question why these guys no longer work for their previous employers.

Seriously, the OWL cam seems to have some interesting technology, some of which is pushing the envelope but all in all I don't see these selling well to anyone other than people who really have no idea what a dash cam is really supposed to do.
It sounds very impressive that former engineers from Apple, Drop Cam and Microsoft are behind this project and I'll bet some clever marketing firm is responsible for touting that but I'm starting to question why these guys no longer work for their previous employers.

I think when people from some other field decide to make a product it can be a good thing as they're not constrained by current thinking and often bring new innovative ideas to the table, of course the flip side of that is that because they're not familiar with the product they can get some of the basics wrong and make some choices that don't work out, wrong processor, wrong lens, using batteries etc, time will tell I guess but I'm not sure they're on the right track just yet

I think when people from some other field decide to make a product it can be a good thing as they're not constrained by current thinking and often bring new innovative ideas to the table, of course the flip side of that is that because they're not familiar with the product they can get some of the basics wrong and make some choices that don't work out, wrong processor, wrong lens, using batteries etc, time will tell I guess but I'm not sure they're on the right track just yet

Yes, I think that's another way of saying what I just said. In some ways the OWL cam seems more related to what smartphones do and what the Drop Cam does than the primary thing that dash cams are really supposed to do. It doesn't surprise me that CNN described the OWL Cam as a "Baby Monitor for Your Car". While that's not a bad concept, it's not quite the primary thing that dash cams do, as you know. The fact that video from this cam doesn't include any sort of date and time stamping or GPS data says a lot about the design goals for this product. And when they describe the concept of a thief taking "selfies" with the OWL cam it tells me they're missing something here.

But I definetly think you need to include the ability to yell at people from remote locations in ALL your upcoming products! :smuggrin::playful:

Yes, I think that's another way of saying what I just said. In some ways the OWL cam seems more related to what smartphones do and what the Drop Cam does than the primary thing that dash cams are really supposed to do.

I have seen other cameras already built on this same sort of platform and I think they had similar limitations, I don't think they were successful to begin with mostly due to not having the marketing advantage that these guys might have (product was for the Russian market so not directly comparable) but I think even if they did have successful marketing the shortcomings they had would have quickly become apparent anyway

But I definetly think you need to include the ability to yell at people from remote locations in ALL your upcoming products! :smuggrin::playful:

not sure we can add 'old man' mode but I'll take that suggestion onboard :D

I have seen other cameras already built on this same sort of platform and I think they had similar limitations, I don't think they were successful to begin with mostly due to not having the marketing advantage that these guys might have (product was for the Russian market so not directly comparable) but I think even if they did have successful marketing the shortcomings they had would have quickly become apparent anyway

The OWL cam seems like a dedicated "parking mode" camera with the road footage as a sort of afterthought. It's like a Drop Cam on wheels, if you will. I agree; you can have all the marketing in the world but if the product doesn't do what people really need they'll go elsewhere. I could see this thing becoming more refined and thought through as time goes on where road footage gets a higher priority. As it stands now, they hardly mention it. Aside from not having any time and date info printed onto the video for evidentiary purposes they don't seem to even bother to mention FOV for example or performance specifics, like low light or WDR.

not sure we can add 'old man' mode but I'll take that suggestion onboard :D

GET OFF MY LAWN!! :D

the more you look at what they have done the more appropriate the baby monitor analogy seems to be

Last edited:
Another questionable thing about this camera is the flashing LED warning beacon facing the front of the vehicle.
Nothing says "steal me" like a blinking camera on your dash board either. :rolleyes:

beacon.png

yeah but they do plan to get a selfie of the thief, I guess they feel that's a good thing o_O

There's almost the sense that this is a camera marketed to people who like to post videos online more than to people who really might need legally actionable evidence that can be handed off to the authorities. Having an actual recording on a memory card with the time and date embedded that can be part of a chain of evidence is different than a clip saved to the cloud. And sometimes you need footage from well before an incident to explain context and pre-incident driving behaviors where a short clip uploaded to the cloud may not suffice. While the camera may well be capable of these things they offer zero information about what the camera can and can not do.

There's almost the sense that this is a camera marketed to people who like to post videos online more than to people who really might need legally actionable evidence that can be handed off to the authorities. .

bit like those infomercials where you see them turning a dashcam around to film themselves singing karaoke as a memorable event :unsure:

While the camera may well be capable of these things they offer zero information about what the camera can and can not do.

I guess it's probably still a work in progress so more useful functionality may come, if they work out they need it, still they must see some sort of business case for this type of product to have put this together in the first place, time will tell I guess

Did that camera ever get build with the radar detector in it too, or did it just remain a unfulfilled plan of someone ?

One would expect such a camera to be popular in some radar detector loving markets like Russia, and the US though dashcams was even smaller there at the time.
And the general feature loving people of dashcams in general, it do seem to me the cameras with bells and whistles do draw in a lot of people, even if it is clear that the chance of getting "burned" are there.

OWL adds are popping up in my Facebook feed now.

e6be5e28f83557a22309ba87a7119d08.jpg

It's very odd the way this camera is being promoted. It's being presented as a kind of security camera peripheral for the smartphone generation with lots of bells and whistles yet they seem to be completely uninformed about the primary functionality that compels most of us to buy and use dash cams.

Case in point: Engadget published an article entitled "Owl is a smarter spin on a dashboard camera" - "It's like an LTE-connected Dropcam for your car."

The author seems absolutely clueless about dash cams, the how and why of how people actually use them and in video and photographic technology in general.

He states: "Owl hopes to do for the dashboard-camera market what the iPod did for portable audio players." ...."It's easy to see the parallels between where dashboard cameras are today and where MP3 players were before the iPod. There are plenty of options on the market, but there's still no killer product." Really?

Dash cams are not iPods. There is no "killer product" the way there is no "killer" DSLR, "killer" video camera or no "killer" CCTV camera. There is no equivalency. Cameras capture content, both still frame and video and people buy different types of cameras in different prices ranges and capabilities for different purposes. There will never be the one "killer camera" they way there was a "killer" music and media player for vast libraries of other people's marketed content like an MP3 player.

Obviously, the core features of the OWL cam seem appealing to any of us who crave high functioning parking mode but unless we have high functioning core dash camera functionality for traffic and road documentation it's just a kind of expensive car alarm. Parking mode is essentially an ancillary dash cam feature and while it's great to see a company attempt to put such sophistication into the concept unless they develop a camera that performs the primary job of proper evidentiary capture out on the road they don't have much. Indeed, this is a Baby Monitor for your parked car with fancy features such as voice commands and other shiny bells and whistles and not much more. This camera needs to focus more attention on accident capture and it especially needs the ability to record to standard memory cards that can be quickly and easily removed from the camera when necessary, such as after an accident or when no connectivity is available. In fact, my basic impression of this camera is that it is intended almost exlusively for people in urban settings. I get the distinct impression that the designers never stopped to think past that question. There are many folks like me who live in mountainous rural areas with spotty coverage. LTE connectivity certainly seems appealing but it still needs local removable memory, not WiFi downloads off the internal memory. It needs embedded time and date on the video. OWL also needs to explain more to potential buyers what kind of actual camera performance they can expect, day and night, what FOV the camera lens provides, what bit rates it records at and what menu settings are available, such as looping, G-sensor, time lapse, etc., etc. We don't even know whether it has any of these common dash cam capabilities or settings. But we do know you can get alerts if someone messes with your vehicle and yell at people in your car from anywhere in the world. ;)

As for pure cluelessness about why people actually buy dash cams, one of the most hilarious but revealing aspects of the Engadget article regarding how this camera is being promoted to the "smart phone generation" as some kind of appealing smart toy is that the author does not even drive a car. He is however so enamored with high tech gadgetry to the point where he wishes he drove a car. In the article, the author states, "While I don't own a car, the Owl is the first dashboard camera I've seen that makes me wish I was still a regular driver."

Last edited:
Not here if google just as much as look in my direction there will be hell to pay, in regard to the social media and what they can and will do and are doing, then i am safe too.

This might be fine for me in a few years time when i can get a cheap flat rate LTE / 5G data connection, and i do have to underline Cheap, cuz for me to spend money on what is pretty much something i will never use it have to be cheap.
And my need for mobile data are pretty much 0 as the 2-3 GB MAX data i use every month on my phone plan can attest to.

And just now it hit me, what if it get stolen, then you also have to cancle your sim card before it see too much abuse.

When people are snagging up bearings in cased in plastic to spin around in the hand, then i am sure the owl cam have the potential to be a seller too.

This are my usage on the phone the past 3 month Speech / Data
3 md speech.jpg
3md data.jpg

As you can see i am not in any way phone addicted. :cool:

The CAT cam, developed by the people behind Hello Kitty :giggle:

The problems with the cloud based security systems this is based on are significant:
1) Short retention period
2) Difficulty in actually getting videos

Let's say something happens on your commute to work at 8:30AM. You get to work and try to log in but can't remember your password. You reset your password at home a 10pm before going to bed, and plan to get the files before going to work the next day. In the morning you forget. You remember at 10AM. 24 hours has passed, the video is gone.

Also potential security, privacy and then subscription issues. I wonder how many people want to subscribe to another service for $10 per month?

Some elements I like eg Video only, no gps speed logging etc (although no reason this couldn't be an option not to record if it was included). Picture looks decent outside, bit basic inside, but not groundbreaking which is also what I'd want for that money personally. For £300 I'd want BBC Picture quality day and night!

I also think the lack of Android support is a serious shortcoming. OK if this were an Apple product. But as an independent brand, it needs support for all common phone OS's.

The video quality looks pretty good! One thing that bothers me which was mentioned earlier in this thread and which your videos seem to confirm and that is that there is no time or date embedded in the video. I think this might be a drawback if you need to submit the video to a court or an insurance company for instance.

Glad to hear that they're planning to add embedded date and time! I think it's important.

P.S. One upon a time I lived in NYC. Your videos bring back old memories! Speaking of NYC, isn't the camera hanging where it is a theft target? (even if it can capture the thief in the act?)

Back