Nextbase Duo 720P - GPS problems

whelk8891

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I chose this camera as I wanted front and rear cams and GPS, but the GPS seems to work only when it fancies it. This is the old style Duo - NOT the new 1080p one, by the way. I bought it recently as "used" from Maplin for £99.

I'd say the GPS works maybe one time out of every 20. When it connects, it connects within seconds. Other times I can do a whole 25-mile journey and it still hasn't sorted itself out.

Tried the GPS receiver in all sorts of positions but nothing has made any difference. Firmware is updated to the latest version.

Is there anything I can try? Could the cam be faulty? Could the GPS mount be faulty? Is there any way I can test that?

Does it connect faster outside of the car?

Do you have a heat reflective windscreen?

Hello,

No, it doesn't make any difference whether it's inside or outside the car. Not really sure what a heat reflective windscreen is so I'm assuming I don't have one?

Two days ago I've taken the entire thing off the windscreen again, wiggled the GPS receiver on the mount to check that nothing looks broken (it doesn't), and put it back in the same place. It's worked fine ever since, connecting within a few seconds which is leading me to believe that the GPS mount might indeed be faulty. Short of buying another one to prove the theory, is there any method of testing this one, with a multimeter or otherwise?

Well, I've decided I'm just going to return it. As time goes on I'm finding more and more problems and I believe this has had much more use than I expected, buying "used" from Maplin. Maybe I was wrong to assume it was "as new" but open box.

As well as the GPS connecting only when it fancies it:
The front camera sometimes whites out in bright light, like the aperture is stuck. Remains like that til I turn the camera off/on. Done this three times now.
The rear camera footage has a distinct "vibration" when the car is moving , like an old TV that's slightly out of tune - front cam does not have this issue.
There is a distinct crackling sound over recorded audio which seems to coincide with the rear camera vibration problem (I only turned audio recording on a couple of days ago, and didn't play a video back until today).

With all of the above, and somebody pointing out to me that some of the text has worn off the "menu" button, I'm sure this has had MUCH more use than the "opened it, didn't like it, returned it" scenario I had expected of Maplin. My guess is that it's been used extensively. I could have lived with the wear on the menu button if it wasn't for all the other stuff as well.

Back