The cable support external MIC and charging

The wiring as shown in your pics is needed for the use of a stereo mic, originally used for Gopro. Without the resistor a mic should always be recognized as mono.
I have no specific idea why there is not a bit of a signal, but the first mic that you have listed has a 4-pin plug (even if shipped with an adapter cable), maybe that is one of the reasons for malfunction.

Important: if you want stereo sound you must use a 330K resistor
The wiring as shown in your pics is needed for the use of a stereo mic, originally used for Gopro. Without the resistor a mic should always be recognized as mono.
Thank you! Should the camera deactivate the internal microphone when zero resistance is detected? Perhaps I can find a safe way to connect those two pins and short that circuit in order to confirm that the problem is with the cable and not with the camera (which appears to lack a diagnostic mode for troubleshooting).

I have no specific idea why there is not a bit of a signal, but the first mic that you have listed has a 4-pin plug (even if shipped with an adapter cable), maybe that is one of the reasons for malfunction.
The three microphones I tried (before measuring no continuity / infinite resistance on those pins) have TRRS (with TRS adapter), TRS, and TS connectors (I also tried a stereo to mono adapter to convert TRS to TS). Those microphones all work in other devices, suggesting that they are not the culprit. The purpose of the intermediate cable remains unclear to me.

Update: The problem is definitely with the Gitup cable I received, as my Git2 appropriately switches to each of my external microphones when connected via a Fantaseal Stereo Microphone Adapter, which measures 298 KΩ resistance across pins 4 and 5. I asked Gitup Support to send me a replacement cable that they have verified functions properly...
Gitup Support said:
We have contact with our factory about this problem and return the cable back to factory for quality improvement.
Once new batch of the cable come in stock we would resend a new kit to you.

It will take weeks to correct, restock and ship, so I removed the plastic surrounding the junction to investigate and quickly found the problem. After a little soldering, it now works pending a less fragile replacement from Gitup (my repaired cable now has no strain relief).

GitupCable.png

Gitup Support said:
Highly appreciate for your effort!!
The factory find out the problem same as you and they have solve it as soon as possible.~
Thanks for your time and patience in advance~!

To enable stereo, the factory could use a #304 resistor (300KΩ) or a #334 resistor (330KΩ) instead of the #153 resistor (15kΩ) and solder the green wire from the 3.5mm plug to the center pin (on the other side).

Last edited:
@bjmsam
I don't know why, but somehow I missed your last comment and Update. Really great job, thumbs up!!

Have you got any idea how to
1. remove the plastic surrounding carefully and
2. apply a new surrounding or housing after repair?
(I have only the idea of using hot glue and heat shrink tube)

I have got this cable, too, and I would like to try to make it usable for me in stereo in a DIY way (I love these little challenges).

Thanks! I used a Dremel to cut the plastic along both edges and then small pliers to pry the halves apart. It wasn't too tricky, though some of the thin USB wires suffered as shown in the photo, but were easy to repair. Liquid electrical tape offers insulation and some rigidity, but hot glue probably would provide a harder seal with better strain relief. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you.
I will experiment and let you know (will take a few days).

Just a quick post to demonstrate why I bought the Git2 and this cable. I have been using a G1W-CB dashcam for years in my Corvette, and while I remain satisfied with the video quality, I have been frustrated by the lack of support for an external microphone, as sounds outside of the cabin provide a far more interesting soundtrack. The Git2 internal microphone performs about the same as the G1W-CB internal microphone, but here is a quick video that compares it to a microphone clipped to the back of the car:

What a difference! My repaired cable introduces no engine noise or other interference when connected to either the power socket (as in this video) or the head unit's USB connection. The only problem now is that the camera forgets the date when operated without the battery...

Last edited:
just need a dead cat on that mic to suppress the wind noise

if you want your videos to look better don't use the stabilise option that YouTube offers when uploading

just need a dead cat on that mic to suppress the wind noise
I'm not noticing much wind noise, but the mic is clipping due to exhaust volume. The GIt2 is set to record level LOW. My cat isn't fond of your idea. :cat:

if you want your videos to look better don't use the stabilise option that YouTube offers when uploading
I didn't use that YouTube option. What you're noticing is the Git2 gyro stabilization, which I'll try switching off next time.

When the camera is solidly mounted to a fixed point you generally get a better result without any artificial stabilisation

@bjmsam
Now I found some time to open and check my cable. And I also found a 153 smd resistor, but in my case is was soldered correctly. All I had to do was replacing it by a 334 smd resistor (330 kΩ). Now the cable works fine!
Left and right channel are also wired correctly, no change needed.

Yes, there are three (see photo), yellow, white, and green.

Do you have only two?

Attachments

• IMG_20180317_131506.jpg
    IMG_20180317_131506.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 19
The green wire was not soldered to my board. I encouraged Gitup to correct both problems, and I will report my findings once the replacement arrives.

To enable stereo, the factory could use a #304 resistor (300KΩ) or a #334 resistor (330KΩ) instead of the #153 resistor (15kΩ) and solder the green wire from the 3.5mm plug to the center pin (on the other side).

Seems as if you have got a kind of prototype.
In Germany we call this a "Montagsmodell". This is an item that was (not literally!) produced on a monday, when the employees are still tired from the weekend and not motivated to work accurately again.

I think the factory has a major problem with their quality management (or they don't even have this).

@bjmsam Could you do me a favour and check if the 5V wiring is correct? I am only 90% sure, checking a micro usb plug is difficult without tiny tools. I need to know because I want to make a charging/microphone cable by myself with the cable length and angled plugs as I need them.

Attachments

• Stecker.jpg
    Stecker.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 15
We found there are some issues for recently batch. User who got the faulty one can PM me or contact our support team to get replacement.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

@bjmsam Could you do me a favour and check if the 5V wiring is correct? I am only 90% sure, checking a micro usb plug is difficult without tiny tools. I need to know because I want to make a charging/microphone cable by myself with the cable length and angled plugs as I need them.
Yes, that looks correct to me.

Wikipedia said:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

The type-A plug (left) and type-B plug (right)
Pin 1 VBUS (+5 V)
Pin 2 Data−
Pin 3 Data+
Pin 4 Ground
This is the connection of miniusb 10 pin :

86227014a4d6bb1fd02050fdd2020632.jpg
(R = 330KΩ - stereo Mic IN)

I am doing the same with this cable: MiniUSB 10 pin MOLDED CABLE with 5ft wire

71tczUvNsmL._SL1500_.jpg

We found there are some issues for recently batch. User who got the faulty one can PM me or contact our support team to get replacement.
My support ticket number is JSFGAYEJN. Will the replacement cable support stereo recording?

My support ticket number is JSFGAYEJN. Will the replacement cable support stereo recording?
Forwarded to our support team.
The replacement does not support stereo recording.

Back