SG hard wire kit INFO / FAQ

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
The basics of the hard wire kit.

1. Will it have a female plug to plug in the default plug / PSU coming with SG cameras.
2. Will it have a switch to ON/Off parking mode. ( personally i dont plan on using parking mode all the time due to CCTV coverage where i park at home and some places i visit, so not having to enter camera to turn ON/OFF parking mode would be nice )
I assume one could put on a switch on the always on wire to force the camera not to go into parking guard mode though it is ON in the camera.
3. Will the kit come with everything, piggy back fuses and so on.
4. Will the kit have BDP, if so how will discharge voltages be selected, and which voltages can be selected.

If you have more questions to the up and coming hardware kit, feel free to add them here.

Last edited:
1. Will it have a female plug to plug in the default plug / PSU coming with SG cameras.
2. Will it have a switch to ON/Off parking mode. ( personally i dont plan on using parking mode all the time due to CCTV coverage where i park at home and some places i visit, so not having to enter camera to turn ON/OFF parking mode would be nice )
I assume one could put on a switch on the always on wire to force the camera not to go into parking guard mode though it is ON in the camera.
3. Will the kit come with everything, piggy back fuses and so on.
4. Will the kit have BDP, if so how will discharge voltages be selected, and which voltages can be selected.

1. no, it's a complete replacement of the existing power supply
2. had considered having a bypass switch as seen on most of these devices but I think that actually makes them fiddly to use and limits the install options as you then need to leave it somewhere where it can be accessed, I have some other ideas on how to deal with this more effectively and will elaborate on that once that's sorted
3. yes
4. yes, most likely by selectable switch, I say most likely as the latest sample had issues and needs to be modified so it depends how that process goes if that method stays or not but it's the method we've been working on, select an option, 11.8v, 12v, 12.2v, 12.4v, the timer function is built into the camera so only voltages need to be handled by the power supply, connection is three wire so should also be compatible with the Cellink Neo

1: what i meant was the current PSU just plug into the hard wire kit, that i assume are all 12 V leaving 12 -> 5 volt conversion to the already existing PSU on the camera power chord.

It would be nice is soldering / splicing and so on could be kept to a minimum, but i also think that's the plan from SG

Just fishing for what little general info was available at this time, mostly so early adopters of supported cameras know what to expect when the time come.

1: holy **** i cant read now, and its like hours before i am tired enough to fall asleep :rolleyes: must be a bout of selective reading again.

I was a little apprehensive if it was a plug in like other hard wire kits i have seen, cuz those ciggy plugs are not something i would trust to stay connected without some help from duct tape or something.
So a total replacement will be fine too / probably the best solution.

It's a complete replacement, not used in conjunction with the normal cigarette power adapter.

3-wires are hard-wired to the fuse panel (or tapped other methods via professional shops) and mini USB plug on the other end goes into the camera.

I will have to tear my adjustable PSU apart to see what is the matter with its gauges ( Amps and volts ) they gave up long ago, i can work around so not too bad, but i would want to verify cut off voltages by simulating voltage dropping with my PSU

Hmmm my RMS PSU have blown bulbs for the light in the 2 gauges, and the gauges i also fear are blown, at least the voltage one do get Volt in but the needle just sit there.
IMG_20180224_232759[1].jpg

Here is my test bench variable power supply setup.
db5971880898a7eb77da4d4c3e1b01e6.jpg

Yeah i need to upgrade to something this century, this old HAM radio PSU i got in the mid 90ties.

I got a lap PSU too much more flash looking and powerful though its just as old if not older, but its in my long time storage buried deep, and i dont want to go looking for it as its my entire doomsday vault there.

probably better off buying something new from,,,,,,, somewhere in China.
But then it go on a long list of things i "need" but cant afford :cautious: i wish i was still working as i would then have 1/3 more money every month, but its not fun and games that's to blame for me being on a pension at my tender age of early fifties. :cry:

As long as its a 80 mm or 120 mm i have plenty of those in low noise from my casemodding days, i just cant deal with a fan if it spin much more than 1200 RPM cuz then they just get too noisy.
There are no fan in this RMS model, so ot do get warm when i charge my RC batteries even if i just use 2 - 5 amps charge rate.

All case fans in my computer run < 700 right now i see, i have the old aquacomputer controller from Germany https://www.aquacomputer.de/

They too have a few things i would like when i upgrade my PC, most important the CPU head and then they have a uppgrade to the pump that allow for it to be used with the new controllers which i would also like.

But to get that i would have to fork over like 500 EU dollars at least, and i dont have no way near that unless i add those to the bank loan i will need to get to build a new PC.

And its not like i go over the top with the new PC, got my eyes on this config :

CPU: Ryzen X1800 ( octacore )
MOBO: Gigabyte Gaming K7
RAM: 2 X 16 Gb 3200 MHZ
GFX: Amd RX580
PSU: 850W
with the CPU cooler that will set my bank back 12.000 DKkr ( that's just shy of 2000 USD )

I really would like a threadripper CPU, but that will add another 2000 DKkr to the bill, so that will have to wait and besides the X1800 will tie me over just fine for some years.

yeah they're quite flexible, they go up to 30v also which is good for testing the 24v stuff we do

Im just a sucker for the new CPU ASO coolers from aquacomputer.

That would look so fine on my new CPU

See im not lying my PC so need a upgrade,,,,,,,, and a cleaning too :cautious:
IMG_20180225_000847[1].jpg

You should have seen it when it was just build with the other motherboard and so also much more clean inside, not this much wire to be seen and hoses running all nice and parallel to each other.

Sadly i have lost the cloud locations and the HDD where i think i have copies just will not read on my external HDD dock.

Back