How Cold is Too Cold to Install This Camera?

When i wanted a new car, i found the one i liked, then the salesman go "fine now we just need to get one home for you" and i was like WTF ???
Then the salesman went well we do have a few ones, i said then give me one of those, and the salesman said well its just plain color no metallic, i went So ?? salesman whent its red, and i said fine give me one of those.

And that's how i got my little red car :giggle:

My SG9663DC dash cam arrived today! Although the weather was less than ideal, I installed it with the aid of the car heater and an electric one. I also did the firmware update, which went without a hitch. It's about as close to an idiot-proof process as it gets.

Other than the rear camera needing a bit of adjustment to get the defogger line out of the picture, I'm very happy with the installation. I do want to install the hardwire kit when it becomes available, though.

I'm uploading some test video to Vimeo. I'll post it when it finishes processing and I know what the URL is.

Richard

The original quality is better than the Vimeo clip. Possibly it's not done processing yet. Vimeo usually doesn't over-compress.

Richard

Nice what did you use to edit and combine the picture and picture simultaneous front/rear near the end half?

Thanks.

I used Magix Movie Edit Pro. It's my current favorite editing software for almost everything, and I've used dozens of editing programs. It has just the tight combination of simplicity and power. It's inexpensive, too.

This video was just thrown together in a hurry, though. The software can do a lot more with proper time and attention.

Richard

you weren't kidding about the cold weather

It actually wasn't too cold today. It hovered right around freezing. But we had a bit of snow.

The temperature inside the car was plenty warm, though. I had the car heater and an electric heater running. I thought I was in a sauna.

Richard

is it normal to still have that much snow at this time of the year where you are?

nice transitions in the editing

is it normal to still have that much snow at this time of the year where you are?

nice transitions in the editing

Thank you.

Yes, the snow is pretty typical. It all coming at once isn't. We had very little until last week, but since then we've gotten a bit over a meter. It doesn't look it because when the sun comes out, it partially melts and settles. But my deck table became a snow gauge last week:

snow-table-030318.jpg

We've had a bit more since then. These are my front steps this morning:

snow-steps.jpg

So yeah, we get a bit. They get more farther west from the lake effect off the Great Lakes. But we get enough to keep the plow guys busy most winters.

Richard

I've seen snow, never had to live with it though, I'm sure it's nicer on postcards than it is to have to live with it at times

It’s been a mild winter in Carson City Nevada this year compared to last year. I haven’t even had to shovel snow off the driveway once and didn’t even bother putting the snow tires on my explorer this year. The Sierra mountains near by had a good amount but it all stayed high up 10-15 miles away.

I've seen snow, never had to live with it though, I'm sure it's nicer on postcards than it is to have to live with it at times

You get used to it. It falls, you move it out of the way, and life goes on. I have a snow blower that makes easy work of the driveway. The steps I have to do by shovel. But it's good exercise.

I bought the snow blower when my plow guy inexplicably stopped showing up and didn't answer his phone. I feared the poor guy had passed away, so I bought a snow blower. A year later he showed up as if nothing had happened and was insulted that I'd bought the snow blower. Go figure.

The government does a real good job plowing the roads around here. That makes it easier. I also use studded tires in the winter, which is why the videos are so noisy. They help a lot when you hit a patch of ice, but the noise gets really tiresome by this time of the year.

Richard

Looking good up there on the hill.

I remember the heater in my first car the Volvo 121, it could almost make your eyebrows curl with its heat blast.
But not much of it reached the back seat, one winter i had 4 mm of ice on the inside of the rear side windows, and we was 4 guys in the car that night, and we did not get to sleep out in the forest as planned cuz -15 Degrees C was too cold after all, so we just made a little walk smoked some weed and then drove home some hours later.

You get used to it. It falls, you move it out of the way, and life goes on. I have a snow blower that makes easy work of the driveway. The steps I have to do by shovel. But it's good exercise.

I bought the snow blower when my plow guy inexplicably stopped showing up and didn't answer his phone. I feared the poor guy had passed away, so I bought a snow blower. A year later he showed up as if nothing had happened and was insulted that I'd bought the snow blower. Go figure.

The government does a real good job plowing the roads around here. That makes it easier. I also use studded tires in the winter, which is why the videos are so noisy. They help a lot when you hit a patch of ice, but the noise gets really tiresome by this time of the year.

Richard
my brother drove his 4wd toyota tundra to houston from alaska, and he still had his studded tires on. nobody in houston knew how to remove the studs properly (not like we need them here!) so he just put up with the sound of gravel roads on all the streets.

When i was 20 or so i got a pair of asics studded track shoes, the original studs wore off fast, so i made some new ones and tempered them and made them a bit shorter than the original ones.

If i dragged my feet sparks was flying, and the promise of a swift kick to the face calmed people down ( i was more nimble back then and was able to front kick with force at my own 6 foot 2 head hight )

The shoes still wore down fast as they was track shoes not meant for the mean streets of Denmark, but i pulled it off for a while

my brother drove his 4wd toyota tundra to houston from alaska, and he still had his studded tires on. nobody in houston knew how to remove the studs properly (not like we need them here!) so he just put up with the sound of gravel roads on all the streets.

There are a number of ways to remove them. There's a special tool made for that purpose, but they can also be removed using a small flat screwdriver or a pair of needle-nose pliers and tire mounting lube. Whatever method you use, it's tedious; and there's always the chance of puncturing the tire in the process.

Studded tires can only be used in New York from October 16 through April 30. If a set of studded winter tires don't have enough life left in them to make it through another winter come the end of April, some people remove the studs and keep using the tires until they wear out (which won't be long in warm weather).

Richard

Back