This Is Why Motorcycle Riders Have To Be Alert When Riding - Please Think Bike!!!

Blink Blink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Near Miss as I rode to work a few days ago. Luckily I ride defensively which came to my rescue as the car changed lanes. I always watch cars carefully whenever I filter past a vehicle when there is a gap (space) beside the vehicle cos I know the risks and possibility of a crash increases if I do. I am just glad I was already slanting into the gap available to give the car a wide breath as I filtered past.

Are you still alive ? o_O

I didn't see any cars doing anything wrong in that video:unsure: Even the BMW used it's indicators in plenty of time!!!

Even the BMW used it's indicators in plenty of time!!!

So are we saying using our indicators mean we are allowed to change lane into the path of another road user? :unsure::unsure: Cos I had to use my brakes and move all the way to the right to avoid going into the BMW

So does using the indicators mean you are allowed to change lane into the path of another road user :unsure::unsure:? Cos I had to use my brakes and move all the way to the right to avoid going into the BMW

you were 2 cars back when they indicated (a BMW indicating is already a bonus) and you weren't 2 cars back in lane 1 or lane 2, you were in lane 1.5, I've ridden bikes for years but no sympathy from me on this one

I see it alright, but at the same thing i think " that's like dodging thru a line of people waiting with their knifes in hand to get them sharpened for free"

Also get you do things cuz you can, and i cant say i have not done the same like a 100 times in my life, but many of those times are also the times that give me goosebumps when i remember them.

you were two cars back when they indicated (a BMW indicating is already a bonus) and you weren't 2 cars back in lane 1 or lane 2, you were in lane 1.5, I've ridden bikes for years but no sympathy from me on this one

Which is why I ride defensively

I see it alright, but at the same thing i think " that's like dodging thru a line of people waiting with their knifes in hand to get them sharpened for free"

Also get you do things cuz you can, and i cant say i have not done the same like a 100 times in my life, but many of those times are also the times that give me goosebumps when i remember them.

Wisely said. This is what I always put at the back of my mind also which is why every single time I climb my bike, I always remind myself to be very very careful

I cant agree on that one, if you drove defensive, you would just be sitting in your spot in traffic waiting for your turn.

I am so glad i never got a MC license, if i did get that in the mid 80ties when i got car, i would have been dead long before 2000, cuz i have suffered from severe lead foot, and after owning a 660 CCM quadbike for a little while i know that affliction is also in my wrist.
And today with the additional strong stupid car drivers dish out i am not even sure i would dare riding a bicycle though most Danish roads have a elevated bicycle path often on the other side of parked cars.

Dont get me wrong i like to take chances and throw it down, if i won the lottery one of the first things i would get are a MC modified for stunt driving,,,, and i am 51
But like on the quad bike i will seek out secluded places to get my thrills.
3iKt6FjQbXqcvxHAFCj36ifIQXuy3FlzBwjaykzOf_iDx06XIU6l82xdcoyDpcP3ypDI7o12WMhta4MygFBCsWnMcQ-UifF32ocS2sgooEgsAVUrwS-fmJ3vxksotBy2VQX_u41Vs4yXd4AJ_nwRA2aBnv9nUJnCdpZpZfmzOeDY_Gr1jGXt_tZHPbaHooaa3RkJ8VNBFG793lFslNwQhmoB52yYLmxxBChl8zk5FR3uu0KMQFDpek6rJh2DglAqpQSmlZPYrA5ygatBAHPlxz9Rk3bkEwTZUa8Qxk74BxygtXBveZ-g9iOcWDSUetKID03slbu6izr2wc6iwoJ_QQce2vCJ_Q9MbGdbjOqNHeg8oB5lmc3onjfwhzNIjdNph2a9ydCslksUKMvjQgLu3f-bbWrVKbDgFxhQHIR7twDve6QvBT-utdv1-rW6nfXXfrfqZNAL6rrJWCT83M3ZfDMV-yNmYw_N9NMlqotI2I64Vd1vlZm49ux8oe912a-pgJLkmW7uQV3clWqd9z7d2-qonuxu75TD_qiPNxLXMqrIEIlov2tpTEJYsbuqQ2xD61J5okKgo80Z5XUyomxY4LGW9kbs3dhOysVibu0=w1382-h921-no

I cant agree on that one, if you drove defensive, you would just be sitting in your spot in traffic waiting for your turn.
ha ha ha...that is another way to look at it

you need to ride like you're invisible and nobody can see you, the reality is they don't, if you keep riding like that you're going to get cleaned up one day
Are we saying my style of riding is wrong even though I was able to use my foresight to know the BMW may swing to the right after turning on their indicator?

Are we saying my style of riding is wrong even though I was able to use my foresight to know the BMW may swing to the right after turning on their indicator?

the BMW didn't move too quickly, not everyone will afford you that luxury, lane filtering is legal here, but not at those speeds

the BMW didn't move too quickly, not everyone will afford you that luxury, lane filtering is legal here, but not at those speeds

Well your statement would have been correct if I was speeding, not able to stop within the distance I was riding (this is the first rule of filtering) or if I crashed into the BMW

Well your statement would have been correct if I was speeding, not able to stop within the distance I was riding (this is the first rule of filtering) or if I crashed into the BMW

are you allowed to ride at the speed limit when filtering there (I'm assuming filtering is actually legal to begin with)?

speed limits are something that is no problem under ideal conditions, doesn't mean it's safe to do it

The presence of a BMW should be a big fluttering red flag for any motorist or pedestrian.
As proof i submit this guy from my drive yesterday, normally i dont bother with this as its default BMW driving.
Speed limit on this and other Danish highways are 80 km/h

are you allowed to ride at the speed limit when filtering there (I'm assuming filtering is actually legal to begin with)?

speed limits are something that is no problem under ideal conditions, doesn't mean it's safe to do it

Filtering is legal in the UK
Speed limit of that road is 40mph (I was not even up to half of that) so I was not riding at the speed limit

Back