Sometimes when you hit debris when riding....you just hope for the best

Blink Blink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I remember during my training, we were advised to just relax if any debris or animal appears in our path when riding and it was too late to avoid it (never knew I would experience this on a major road).

Anyone had anything similar happen to them?

Last edited:
Daum that look like a 2 X 4 :eek:

Yeah, many years ago when I was young and dumb(ish) I was riding down the A2 on a Yamaha RD250LC in the fast lane trying to keep up with a Porsche doing 100. He suddenly veered into the middle lane.
"That's nice of him," I thought. "He's letting me past."

No he wasn't. There was a sodding car seat slap bang in the middle of the fast lane. I didn't have time to react, it was just pure luck I skimmed past it. Maybe a tiny bit of reflex action helped, but 99% luck. Relaxing wouldn't have helped me if I'd hit it. I'd have been dead.

Big lesson moment, that was.

Yeah, many years ago when I was young and dumb(ish) I was riding down the A2 on a Yamaha RD250LC in the fast lane trying to keep up with a Porsche doing 100. He suddenly veered into the middle lane.
"That's nice of him," I thought. "He's letting me past."

No he wasn't. There was a sodding car seat slap bang in the middle of the fast lane. I didn't have time to react, it was just pure luck I skimmed past it. Maybe a tiny bit of reflex action helped, but 99% luck. Relaxing wouldn't have helped me if I'd hit it. I'd have been dead.

Big lesson moment, that was.

Damn!!! Something to put at the back of my mind when I am out and about. Thanks for sharing

I am surprised they didn't slow down. Could have been deadly for the bike, or anyone else, if it had've flicked up.

Should have done an Andy Ruffell bunny hop :)

Anyone had anything similar happen to them?
Only once, with a larger bit of wood than that, I steered round it discovering that the suspension on the car I was driving was a long way from the performance of my own car!

I was able to go around it because unlike you, I had left a reasonable gap to the van in front. A 2 second gap is recommended, which should be treated as a minimum. You were under 1 second, enough time to react, but not enough time for your reaction to have any effect on the outcome! You did not need to be that close.

A 2 second gap is recommended, which should be treated as a minimum. You were under 1 second, enough time to react, but not enough time for your reaction to have any effect on the outcome! You did not need to be that close.

Naaaaa.....I was not under one second....that would have been a different story and would mean I was right at the bumper of the van :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I know the 2 second gap is recommended and I can even remember singing the "2 second rule song" in my head cos there was a van in front of me and my view ahead was obscured.

I actually bunny hopped a cat that ran out into the road , on a BMX of course .

Naaaaa.....I was not under one second....that would have been a different story and would mean I was right at the bumper of the van :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I know the 2 second gap is recommended and I can even remember singing the "2 second rule song" in my head cos there was a van in front of me and my view ahead was obscured.
I can't step through the video frame by frame here, but you can - how many frames is the piece of wood visible for?
If you had a 2 second gap and the video is 30fps then the wood should be visible for at least 60 frames...

Edit: Calculating the gap from the white lines and your stated 50mph, you appear to have 0.58 seconds gap, you can't do much in 0.58 seconds.

Last edited:
I can't step through the video frame by frame here, but you can - how many frames is the piece of wood visible for?
If you had a 2 second gap and the video is 30fps then the wood should be visible for at least 60 frames...

Edit: Calculating the gap from the white lines and your stated 50mph, you appear to have 0.58 seconds gap, you can't do much in 0.58 seconds.

Here we go again :rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of filtering on motorways etc, but there's a lot to be said for moving to the side of your lane so you can see past the vehicle in front. On even a slight bend this can give you miles of visibility instead of a few feet.

Drivers have no choice but to take some calculated risk, but the risk to them is much less.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

my brother hit a deer on his motorcycle (a one-month-old suzuki sv650) when he was about 20 or so. he hit its hind legs, which was just enough to knock his hands off the bars and set the bike off balance. road was slightly curved, and he couldn't recover before hitting the curb. Taco'd the front wheel, bent the forks and cracked the head tube. launched him off into the grass, which thankfully was kinda soft because it had rained that morning (crash happened at night). no real injuries other than bumps and scrapes - he was wearing a full face helmet, leather jacket and jeans. dad didn't believe him that he'd hit a deer - accused him of speeding. once dad got a look at the bike the next morning and saw deer fur stuck in the headlight, he finally believed him.

I'm not a big fan of filtering on motorways etc, but there's a lot to be said for moving to the side of your lane so you can see past the vehicle in front. On even a slight bend this can give you miles of visibility instead of a few feet.

Maybe try to do a wheelie to gain a higher vantage point. This guy decided to pull one besides me. I was secretly hoping for some roadkill action.

Maybe try to do a wheelie to gain a higher vantage point. This guy decided to pull one besides me. I was secretly hoping for some roadkill action.

Interesting, when he got it up on the rear tire it looked just like the number "1" - maybe he was letting everyone know his IQ. :D

There are many reasons I quit riding my bike, road debris is one of them. One time I was riding in the back of a small group on the interstate in the center lane, the riders in front of me split into both outer lanes. I was left with a surprise of a steel ramp from a car hauler. I remained calm and hit it square on with quite a jolt but it ended quite well with minimal recovery needed. A quick inspection showed no damage, so off we go to get lunch to let my nerves calm down.

One-Six

Back