DDPai Mini3

Jeremy Wong

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119, Viofo A119S, Xiaomi Mijia, 360 J511C, etc
Author's Note: The original review is found at jwtech, please head to the site to show us your support as well. Click here to view all my product reviews!

This is a review by a friend, Danny, who bought this DDPai Mini3 during the 11.11 sales from Taobao and have installed it in his car using the hardwire kit and reviewed it. Photos of the DDPai Mini3 and review type out on behalf of Danny by JW.

DDPai product page: Mini3

Technical Specs & features:
• Processor: HiSilicon Cortex A17 + Cortex A7
• Sensor: OmniVision 05A10 image sensor
• Memory: 4GB
• Viewing angle: 140° wide angle 6G lens F1.8
• Resolution: 2560×1600 30fps
• Built-in 32GB eMMC 5.1
• 3rd Generation remote button
• Built-in 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
• 360° rotatable camera
• Parking mode (requires hardwire kit)
• Creative SR (Sense Reality) technique

The box

Open box

Contents

• Mini3
• Mount
• USB car charger
• 90° angled microUSB cable 3.5m
• MicroUSB cable
• Spare mounting tape
• Remote button
• Pry tool
• User guide in Chinese

Mini3

Mount

The Mini3 can rotate 360° using this mount.

3rd generation remote button

2 port USB car charger

90° angled microUSB cable 3.5m

MicroUSB cable

Spare mounting tape

For mount and remote button

Pry tool

User guide

Hardwire kit

The DDPai hardwire kit comes with high-quality fuse taps for use with low profile mini fuse, mini fuse, and ATO fuse types.

User guide

HU USB cable

This HU USB cable is to connect to your car head unit to show the Mini3 on HU’s screen. Android Auto and Apple Car Play compatible. This cable will NOT be available for the Mini3 international version.

User guide

DDPAi app

Initial firmware version 42016 out of the box. Latest firmware version 42021.

Videos
Recorded in 2560×1600 30fps with an overall bit rate of 12.9 Mb/s.

Danny’s final thoughts
Low light performance dropped after update to the latest firmware. But the image has lesser noise. Details of objects can be seen/determined.

The DDPai app is a battery drainer. Hopefully, future updates would fix that.

The sensor look like a updated version of the OV4689

Reactions: Mtz
cool I really like that design, I wish blackvue could learn from this so you could remove their cams without having to unplug them.

Nice design for sure, too bad the storage is built-in and not expandable..

Wait... It's built in 4gb is all you can ever have? No micro SD card slot? How could they possibly decide on that decision...
Seems like it is "Built-in 32GB eMMC 5.1"...still a bit on the low side. Perhaps they get many support issues due to people using cheap / fake memory cards. Build the memory in and that is resolved. The problem is if the memory "wears out" you throw out the camera.

Seems like it is "Built-in 32GB eMMC 5.1"...still a bit on the low side. Perhaps they get many support issues due to people using cheap / fake memory cards. Build the memory in and that is resolved. The problem is if the memory "wears out" you throw out the camera.
Oh I misread above. 32gb isn't terrible but yeah like you said if the memory goes bad you're out of luck.

Wait... It's built in 4gb is all you can ever have? No micro SD card slot? How could they possibly decide on that decision...

32gb built in and that's the most you can get on the mini 3. It's more likely to prevent people using slower cards or something that might have been incompatible with the dash cam. I think they were targeting for stable and fast memory on the dash cam. But like @DashCamMan said, it's also the issue of fake cards, especially in China.

• Memory: 4GB
The motherboard pictures posted on the FCC site show only two 2Gbit(!) SDRAM modules, so this dashcam has 512MB SDRAM, and most of it are used as AV buffer RAM. Older DDPAI dashcams have one 2Gbit SDRAM module (256MB), but only 96MB can be used by the applications.

How much recording time do you get before it start to overwrite itself?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am newbie here..
I just installed my ddpai mini3 bought from taobao.
Anyone can advise me how to access my camera under parking mode? How to connect the camera to the HU on my Honda CR-V (5th Gen)? I got all the cables needed from taobao..

Is there a way to STOP the amber light when the device is on? My mini 2 always have amber light on and no way to stop it.

Is there a way to STOP the amber light when the device is on? My mini 2 always have amber light on and no way to stop it.

There isn't any option for the status light

Why do you want the light off ?

It also serves a purpose to tell which mode it is in , a quick look in after 10-15mins of being static and blue light for parking mode and when you re-enter the violet to orange change to normal 25fps .

Functioning / on or switched off or timed power down .

Mode - normal recording or parking 1 fps .

Change of mode .

Not an obtrusive flashing led .

How much recording time do you get before it start to overwrite itself?
32GB capacity allows 5.6 hours of recording at 12.9Mbps

32GB capacity allows 5.6 hours of recording at 12.9Mbps

If thats the case then it would be 5.6 hours * 5000 potential re-writes giving 28000 hours before the MMC should start to wear out (according to the specs on DDPAI site). This equates to almost 3.2 years continuous driving/recording or if I take into account the fact I drive on average 2 hours a day it could potentially be 38 years before the MMC becomes an issues (assuming that it lasts as well as the specs suggest). Not sure I'll be that bothered about potential wear-rate of the MMX at that point.

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and then bought another one to use in my wife's car....the second one was listed on Amazon as only having 16Gb memory but everything else was the same except it came with only a Chinese manual....but I had my English manual from mine so I thought I'd order it. It looks like the second one is exactly the same but only 16Gb shows up in the app. Is this some sort of knock off or what?
...Actually upon checking the app with my original mini3, it shows only 16Gb too!

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and then bought another one to use in my wife's car....the second one was listed on Amazon as only having 16Gb memory but everything else was the same except it came with only a Chinese manual....but I had my English manual from mine so I thought I'd order it. It looks like the second one is exactly the same but only 16Gb shows up in the app. Is this some sort of knock off or what?
...Actually upon checking the app with my original mini3, it shows only 16Gb too!

There are 16GB & 32GB versions of the Mini3.
Untitled.png

Below is the link to DDPai's official TMall/Taobao store:
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...=taobao_shop&sku_properties=1627207:103512920

Last edited:
Back