The OWL Cam - developed by engineers from Apple, Drop Cam and Microsoft

The facebook owl ad comments I read seem to be full of people annoyed there is no Android app/support yet. (months later)

The facebook owl ad comments I read seem to be full of people annoyed there is no Android app/support yet. (months later)

the devs are largely Apple background I think, what they do might not translate that easily to Android, stick with what you know I guess

In this day and age though, given the popularity of Android products, you can't really afford to support one OS without the other:

From the Wikipedia Article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

World_Wide_Smartphone_Sales.png

I agree, maybe not their strength though, to be fair supporting Android is a much bigger task than iOS, so many variables to account for

Something else to keep this mindless generation staring down at their phones!!

a little different to what we discussed then where night quality wasn't that great, we have better night quality now already (and you'll see some further improvements in that respect soon also), back then we were talking about one lens for night, one for day, if we were to look at it now I think it might be closer to what you've achieved in your DIY setup, have one camera that captured a wider overall view with good all around performance and one lens that had a closer view, I think that could be beneficial
Dahua have a dual lens people counting camera (Dahua-IPC-HDW8341X-3D) that has an interesting form factor - maybe something that shape wouldn't be a bad idea for a dual lens car camera:
Dahua-IPC-HDW8341X-3D-0280B-98463.jpg

Just had a quick look for Owl firmwares but can't see one yet for me to have a nosey at!

In this day and age though, given the popularity of Android products, you can't really afford to support one OS without the other:

From the Wikipedia Article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

World_Wide_Smartphone_Sales.png

The vast majority of Android phones are sold in the low-end market with cheap or basic phones (which significantly skews those charts), to a customer base that’s not likely to pay for high-end products (I say that without an ounce of derision — it’s just fact). iOS slaughters Android in the high-end market, which is who these types of products are (mostly) geared toward. It’s been an almost 10 year trend now where iOS users far outspend their Android counterparts when it comes to apps, music, movies, accessories, peripheral devices, services, etc., so developers drive their energies accordingly. That’s only ONE of the many reasons iOS gets everything first, and often ever, with many apps and devices never making it to Android, and likely never will (e.g. professional music-creation/production apps which is a vast and robust sector in iOS but virtually non-existent on Android).

Last edited:
About 2-3 years ago, I did something similar with an old Dropcam I was no longer using for its intended purpose, which is to say I placed it in my car, plugged into a USB power source, and connected it to my phone’s hotspot with ”unlimited” data (truly unlimited data transfer, but technically with the carrier having the ability to throttle speeds after 22GB/mo, a threshold I often exceed(ed) at 50GB/mo+ without any discernible difference in overall experience for the most part). In its most basic sense, my Dropcam set up was very similar: an internet connected cam recording and uploading to the cloud in real time.

Obviously, the OWL has a few more features (some nice, but many more that I hate and are almost non-starters as they have privacy concerns, including a constantly “on” mic and a self-facing camera; yeah just what I need ... another data hound that knows what I and my passengers look like, sound like, what I drive, how I drive, with algos that learn my habits and patterns and log where I drive, work and live, and stores it in some data farm likely owned by Amazon or Google ... uhh ... F*CK THAT! ... don’t get me started). I get there are ways to disable some of those features, but then you take away those alleged “features”. I’m not discounting the fact that the Dropcam (now Nest after Google bought them a couple years ago) does a lot of the same, including the ability to “yell” at the perp on the other end (which requires your mic to be constantly “ON”), along with some geolocation capacities (though not with a GPS like the OWL), but I always worked around the features that bothered me (mic was never abled and I never pointed the cam inside my home, at me, friends or family).

In theory, I might do slightly better with a high quality webcam or other security cam that allows me to control and drive the data to a private server or NAS (I have 12TB NAS that’s been sitting for years and just begging to be put through its paces). You couldn’t easily replicate some of the security/alert features of the Dropcam or OWL, but you might be able to work something out coupled with a stealthily hidden old-fashioned dash cam (along with the benefits of redundancy and back-up, which, btw, is the only way I would ever go with something like this, at least for now or until the tech fully matures).

Whether it’s the OWL or a diy concoction, the basic challenge is always the same: continuous power and continuous connectivity. There are definitely ways to solve both yourself and while the OWL addresses both decently by drawing power through the car’s ODBC and a built-in sim/chip, all methods (including OWL’s) have their own drawbacks, limitations or costs. In the final analysis, the real deciding factor for me would be all about data privacy — where it goes and who controls it. Until then, particularly on occasions I feel the need for yet another cam (I currently roll with 2 DR-02s, 1 A119 and 2 Mobius between two cars), I will pull out the Dropcam or something similar.

The vast majority of Android phones are sold in the low-end market with cheap or basic phones (which significantly skews those charts), to a customer base that’s not likely to pay for high-end products (I say that without an ounce of derision — it’s just fact). iOS slaughters Android in the high-end market, which is who these types of products are (mostly) geared toward. It’s been an almost 10 year trend now where iOS users far outspend their Android counterparts when it comes to apps, music, movies, accessories, peripheral devices, services, etc., so developers drive their energies accordingly. That’s only ONE of the many reasons iOS gets everything first, and often ever, with many apps and devices never making it to Android, and likely never will (e.g. professional music-creation/production apps which is a vast and robust sector in iOS but virtually non-existent on Android).

I detect the views if an iPhone fan here.

The vast majority of mid and high end phones are on Android. Just look at your local phone shop online. Almost every brand runs Android now Windows Phones has demised. As for Android being inferior, I had a Samsung Galaxy S7. My friend had a iPhone 7. In my opinion, the Galaxy blew the iPhone out of the water in almost every way possible. Personally you couldn't give me an iPhone.

However, iPhone vs Android wars apart, the figures don't lie (assuming they're accurate which I'm trusting the source to be). It doesn't matter whether the phones that are sold with Android are Top, Middle or Bottom of the market, the figures suggest Android is being sold on what appears to be around 15 times as many devices world wide. So on that basis, Owl is losing out on on a much larger market share only supporting Apple. I also severely doubt that the only people who buys dashcams are people who buy high end phones.

if you want to develop a product that has a tie in to one type of phone or the other then the iPhone eco system is a lot less work than Android, even if it's a smaller market it's still a market so their choice to play in that eco system I guess

There are countless products on the market that were originally introduced for iOS only with Android support offered later. The same is true of many Android oriented products that later offered iOS support. I've seen this happen with a number of IP home surveillance cameras for example. The OWL cam hasn't been on the market very long and I have no doubt that an Andriod app will be in the works assuming the product develops market traction on iOS. This seems a silly argument.

Android has more units out there, sure.
As mentioned, a lot of entry-level to mid-level devices compared to their high-end devices.
I could argue that in the last couple years mid to high-end devices have less of a difference since they've basically been quad-core devices with decent memory at minimum nowadays.
Tons of unknown international manufacturers too, it's getting to the point where either Android or iOS is your only option for phones - not to mention getting an iPhone without a data plan is a pricey investment usually.
Where Android has dozens of devices that you don't have to sign up for data with.
I'm not gonna look for something to fact-check this but iPhones tend to be upgraded by the user more consistently too, whereas a lot of android devices don't get updates at all unless they're a flagship device.

I'd also argue someone on an older(/entry level) phone (iOS or Android) is less likely to buy a high-end dash cam.

Owl says they'll have an Android app in the near future, so it's very likely already in development.

if it gets popular they'd be silly not to look at Android, if they have iOS experience it's logical to get it out there first and keep working away on Android, why delay the product if you can get a start with an existing market, other products have come before them that have done it this way

I detect the views if an iPhone fan here.

You should have detected a fan of facts.

The vast majority of mid and high end phones are on Android.
The vast majority of Android phones that are SOLD are on the low end, with the vast majority being in developing countries (for the record, I cheer, encourage and support developing countries; I’m just providing facts). Doesn’t matter how many high end Androids LG, Samsung, Huawei and the like make. Fact is, Apple makes the most expensive phones and sells more of those phones in that segment than anyone. Period. Charts skew as Android outselling Apple overall (because those charts are not broken out by type/price), but the highest volume that feed those numbers comes from the low end. Apple doesn’t even compete in that market and has no business model or interest in doing so.

As for Android being inferior,
Lol. Where did I ever say anything about inferiority? iOS, aside from being less fragmented, is easier and more secure for developers, and the FACT is, it is the preferred platform by companies and developers interested in profit, as its customer base has repeatedly outspent Androiders for years and years, and it’s not even close.

It doesn't matter whether the phones that are sold with Android are Top, Middle or Bottom of the market, the figures suggest Android is being sold on what appears to be around 15 times as many devices world wide. So on that basis, Owl is losing out on on a much larger market share only supporting Apple.

Of course it matters. The majority of Androids in the wild (i.e. SOLD) are cheap/low end phones, owned by a customer base that’s has repeatedly demonstrated that it is unlikely to spend money on expensive products like the OWL (hence why they, along with countless other companies and developers, for years and years, have always prioritized iOS; they make far more money there than the ad-driven model rampant in the Play store. Duh!!). Those are the FACTS.

I also severely doubt that the only people who buys dashcams are people who buy high end phones.

Seriously, do you want to dumb down this conversation or do you want understand stuff? We’re taking about a $350 camera with a $100 annual fee. OBVIOUSLY, this is not a your typical “dashcam”, and the vast MAJORITY of people who buy this kind of stuff are iPhone users. Period. That’s a fact.

You’re clueless (not to mention a tad sensitive) on this topic. Like what you like, buy what you buy, and believe what you want, but you’re going to have to be more prepared with FACTS before I discuss this with you any further.

I’ll even help you out: https://www.bing.com/search?q=app+store+profits+ios+vs+android&form=APIPA1&PC=APPD

Last edited:
85% of phones here are from the fruit company, that do not surprise me at all. :rolleyes:
So if you want to make something targeted at Danish phone users, it better be in the fruit flavor.

If you want to target brands of phones here, its still the fruit company on top, with Samsung #2 and Huawai in #3

If you want to target mobile phone infrastructure here, you need the tool kit for Huawei equipment, that will take out most companies using the TDC grid.
I am unsure what equipment the other grid the remaining providers are on.

OK maybe I'm wrong about the high end mobiles. Simple fact remains though, it doesn't necessarily follow that those owning high end iphones are the only ones who are buying high end dashcams, especially as phones are quite trendy whereas dashcams are all, dare I say it, a little bit more Anorakish. I own a 2011 Java based phone, no smartness, no apps, internet access is a joke, and I'm interested in high end dashcams.....

Saying that phones are quite "trendy" is like saying that refrigerators are trendy. @M Basta hardly seems to be saying as you suggest, that those owning high end iPhones are the "only" people buying high end dash cams, merely that they are the more likely candidates to spend the money for a $350.00 camera with a $120 yearly cloud service than people buying low end or mid range phones.

The OWL cam has barely been available in the marketplace for two months and they have publicly stated that their Android app is forthcoming. What's the point of this ongoing condemnatory attitude that they don't have one yet? For better or worse, OWL cam is attempting to create something new and different here and these things take time. The OWL cam would hardly be the first smartphone enabled dash cam released to the market that didn't have it's apps all sorted out when the camera first went on sale.

BTW, since you are as you say "interested in high end dashcams...." which high end dash cams do you actually own? As I recall, you have a WR1 that you use with only the default settings because you don't own a smartphone.

I'm personally "interested" in high end, high performance sports cars but I drive a pick-up truck.

Saying that phones are quite "trendy" is like saying that refrigerators are trendy.

Hardly. In Europe a High End phone is a status symbol much like an expensive car. The rich like theirs to be gold plated or encased in custom polished wooden or other exotic cases to distinguish themselves from the poorer people who buy one. An expensive phone is a trendy item for the young and rich who like to flash them off. I'd hardly call a dashcam a status symbol or trendy. So it doesn't necessarily follow that those exclusively purchasing iphones are the most lucrative target market for an expensive camera when compared to marketing to tech enthusiasts generally. That said an apple developer designed product may inspire brand loyalty. Maybe that is what OWL is trying to change, to bring a more trendy product to the market to capture the iPhone generation.

As for condemnatory attitude, there is non. What I said was quite clear, I'm personally not that impressed with the amount of detail retrieval based on the video the user posted on Youtube which showed a van close up in the next lane. That's my opinion and you are free to disagree or comment to the commentary should you wish to do so. Any comment made on here is designed to help manufacturers design a better product. Owl by not supporting Android are potentially losing out on a huge share of the market given there are many more users of Android than iPhones. Ultimately it makes no difference to me how OWL decide to restrict their business model. It was just an observation.

Last edited:
Hardly. In Europe a High End phone is a status symbol much like an expensive car. The rich like theirs to be gold plated or encased in custom polished wooden or other exotic cases to distinguish themselves from the poorer people who buy one. An expensive phone is a trendy item for the young and rich who like to flash them off. I'd hardly call a dashcam a status symbol or trendy. So it doesn't necessarily follow that those exclusively purchasing iphones are the most lucrative target market for an expensive camera when compared to marketing to tech enthusiasts generally. That said an apple developer designed product may inspire brand loyalty. Maybe that is what OWL is trying to change, to bring a more trendy product to the market to capture the iPhone generation.

As for condemnatory attitude, there is non. What I said was quite clear, I'm personally not that impressed with the amount of detail retrieval based on the video the user posted on Youtube which showed a van close up in the next lane. That's my opinion and you are free to disagree or comment to the commentary should you wish to do so. Any comment made on here is designed to help manufacturers design a better product. Owl by not supporting Android are potentially losing out on a huge share of the market given there are many more users of Android than iPhones. Ultimately it makes no difference to me how OWL decide to restrict their business model. It was just an observation.

You stated that, "phones are quite trendy whereas dashcams are all....." which is incorrect. Smartphones are ubiquitous these days just the way cars are. Whether some people drive luxury cars or compact sedans is as irrelevant as whether people buy modest priced Android phones or high end Samsung Galaxy 8s or iPhones 6s. The gold plated phone argument is a red herring that has nothing to do with this. The product category of phones or cars are not "trends", they are practically commodities. Dash cams on the other hand are a small market in a relatively new and growing product category. At one time most people had never heard of GoPro or were even aware of the existence of action cameras but now there is widespread awareness and action cams are quite popular products. Despite the fact that GoPro cameras are generally costly, their popularity is certainly not limited to buyers who own high end smart phones but instead are purchased by people who already own all manner of smartphones.

Despite your denials you are indeed being condemnatory . What's the point of excoriating OWL cam in post after post for "not supporting Android" when they've categorically stated that Android support is forthcoming? The product has only been available for two months and like countless other hardware products before them was introduced initially for iOS or Android with support for the other platform to follow. In the scheme of things nobody is "losing out on a huge share of the market" as you so condescendingly claim. Like many new products it takes time to develop awareness in the marketplace. I have no doubt that the expereinced industry insiders behind OWL cam know what they are doing and have a good business plan in place for how they intend to roll out their product without a guy on an internet forum who doesn't even own a smartphone but does have a smartphone operated dash camera he can't adjust or set telling them how the world works.

Last edited:
You're in the US, I'm in the UK. Having the very latest high end smartphone is still a status symbol in the UK, as is having certain brands of watch or car.

Back