Saving an "Event."

pdmike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR750S 2-CH
You are driving along and nothing is happening. Suddenly, in front of your car, a space ship lands, picks up four cows in a nearby field and then takes off. You have it ALL on your trusty 750S. What do you do now?

In other words, what action do you take when an event happens you want to isolate, save and keep and you don't want to have to hunt it down later from the middle of a zillion other videos that surround it on your SD card?

Good question, main drawback of BlackVue dashcams compared to Chinese low cost dashcams.
You can save an event by moving your hand at the left of the 750S if you have set the parameter for this.
This will record only 5s before and during 1 minute. So, the event you wanted to save is not included because 5s is too short.....

Only way is to remember date and time and put your SD card in your computer or download it to your smartphone before the event will be overwritten.

Good question, main drawback of BlackVue dashcams compared to Chinese low cost dashcams.
You can save an event by moving your hand at the left of the 750S if you have set the parameter for this.
This will record only 5s before and during 1 minute. So, the event you wanted to save is not included because 5s is too short.....

Only way is to remember date and time and put your SD card in your computer or download it to your smartphone before the event will be overwritten.
OK - thanks. BTW, I donwloaded the Owner's Manual from the BlackVue site. 103 pages. I even printed it up on my home printer, rather than sneaking a print-up at work. It really looks good, believe it or not. Hope it tells me HOW to do things, rather than just telling me I "CAN" do things.

Hope it tells me HOW to do things, rather than just telling me I "CAN" do things.
That seems to be a common error in manuals and really pees me off.
Even then, it doesn't explain that you can set up an event by
when it tells you that you CAN set it up to record.

The hand-waving thing can be set to do a Manual recording. I can't access the settings on mine for the moment, but by default it enables/disables audio recording. But I set mine to do a Manual recording instead. These show up in the viewer as 'M' files with a different colored icon.
Not to be confused with an actual "Event", which is specific to triggers by the G-sensors.

The hand-waving thing can be set to do a Manual recording. I can't access the settings on mine for the moment, but by default it enables/disables audio recording. But I set mine to do a Manual recording instead. These show up in the viewer as 'M' files with a different colored icon.
Not to be confused with an actual "Event", which is specific to triggers by the G-sensors.
When would you want to do a manual recording as opposed to the continuous recording that is going on whenever the ignition is on?

So that you can more easily identify the 'M' recording in the dozens of ordinary 'N' ones. Not sure whether they are 'protected' as well.

So that you can more easily identify the 'M' recording in the dozens of ordinary 'N' ones. Not sure whether they are 'protected' as well.
That reminds me - I think I have figured out most of the two-letter indicators for each of the videos, but not all of them. P means Parking, F means Front and R means Rear. What do the other letters indicate? What is E for? And N? I don't see them defined anywhere in the Manual.

N is Normal, E is Event, triggered by the G sensor. I have heard a rumour (Post #5) that M is is a Manual recording.

Have just set up a new card and at the bottom of the "Basic"page it gives you the option to "Lock event files" "Event files will be overwritten when storage is full"

So if you have a 128gb card you should have a few days of recordings and not lose it

The settings are all there its up to you to use them and after 13 posts of not finding things its about time you sorted it out

Well this is disappointing to read :oops:. I've recently decided to splash the cash on a 750s-2CH (should be arriving today!) having previously had cheapy Chinese jobs, all of which just had a button to press which would save and lock the current file and the one before and after it. Does the Blackvue REALLY not have this basic function?!

Welcome to BlackVue's world of basic functions not present...

Partially....
You can change the proximity sensor action from 'mute microphone' (i think this was the default) to something like 'lock video'. Actually is named: manual recording, and it will save the current video file in a different category ("M" - manual recording). The problem is that it saves only about 5 seconds before and, i think, 1 minute after...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Send a suggestion on how you'd like this to work to the Blackvue people. While not super-responsive, it appears they do read their "community" postings and maybe they'll consider adding that to a future firmware. The whole "lock recording" thing is fairly new to them, and I think they need to make algorithm adjustments.

One could argue the feature is of limited value to most, because if there's a sequence you want to keep, it's easy to attach via your mobile app or cloud and suck them down. Unless you're running a really small SD card, you should have plenty of time to get what you want, and ultimate flexibility of the before/after periods. The "basic feature" mentioned is more important for non-WiFi cameras for sure.

Brad.

The "basic feature" mentioned is more important for non-WiFi cameras for sure.
But even then, it's generally easy enough to slip out the SD and transfer the required files to a PC.

I have a terrible memory and i'm yet to use a dashcam that records in such small clips/try to find the one clip i want. My camera also runs 24/7 so I only have half a day to get the relevant clip off the card before its written over. Its crazy that this feature isn't on such a high end camera. I will try putting a suggestion into the team (y)

Considering there isn't a button to press it would need to be extending the amount of footage the Manual Recording captures. The video segment before, during and after the activation is the norm

But is the BlackVue 'manual' recording protected from overwriting?

The fail-safe solution is to either get a bigger card (not preferred) or a spare (preferred). If I were to record something of real importance, the first thing that I would do is to take the SD out of the camera to prevent any possibility of overwriting or card failure.
Not having a spare card in the car is not sensible as cards do fail 'of their own accord' anyway.
What's the chances of having more than one 'really important' occurrences at more or less the same time anyway?

Back