Viofo A129

Why would you want to turn it off?
I can only speak as to why I turn mine off. I have my dashcam powered off an external battery pack, a Cellink Neo. When I park in my garage or my driveway or somewhere where I know the vehicle is safe, I don’t want to run the battery pack down to 0% if I won’t be using the vehicle for another day, two or more. If it gets down to 0% and I need to run to a location close by, there won’t be enough charge built up in the Neo to keep the cam powered when I need the cam to remain on.

My previous Aukey DR01 has no power button, and I had not found that inline micro usb switch I linked to above yet, so I had to unplug the mini usb plug from the cam each time I wanted to turn it off. Not as nice as an inline switch or a button on the cam, but it got the job done for a little over a year.

Why would you want to turn it off?
And if you can't turn it off, why would you need a button to turn it on?
Pretty much the same reason @JohnnyMnemonic stated. I like to turn my cameras off while parked if I don't need to be recording (i.e. garage).

Thanks for the review, still expected to ship by early in the next month!

Just wanted to mention for those who may miss the power button on this cam compared to the A119, A119S and A119 Pro, this inline mini USB switch is an option. I've mentioned I use it in other threads and posted a pic of my setup with it so sorry for reposting it here but wanted to share as it may be a good workaround for those missing the power button on the A129.
We implemented the long press menu button to power on/off the camera in latest FW.

Can you change the angle so it doesnt show the hood/dash? also, what about mounting the rear camera in a truck with a flat rear window? is it possible?

Can you change the angle so it doesnt show the hood/dash? also, what about mounting the rear camera in a truck with a flat rear window? is it possible?

The angle can be adjusted. But my preference is to see a bit of the hood.

I think the rear cam can be use on a vertical window. Check the picture of the side of the rear cam with the mount on.

Can you change the angle so it doesnt show the hood/dash?

Then it'd just show even more sky and from what the pros say on here, and my opinion as well, it isn't good to have that much sky in your video. The 'rule' I've seen mentioned on here is 60/40 with 40% being sky when setting the angle.

Then it'd just show even more sky and from what the pros say on here, and my opinion as well, it isn't good to have that much sky in your video. The 'rule' I've seen mentioned on here is 60/40 with 40% being sky when setting the angle.
I have found that is a nice balance, and works for me in all weather conditions.

Another gripe I have is that why do they put the connector on the right or left of the item.
Much better placement would have been the tail end of the camera. The wires would not have been so glaringly visible from the outside then and maybe would have had helped in camouflaging the camera installation when looked at from outside.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Another gripe I have is that why do they put the connector on the right or left of the item.
Much better placement would have been the tail end of the camera. The wires would not have been so glaringly visible from the outside then and maybe would have had helped in camouflaging the camera installation when looked at from outside.

I quite like it on the right, means it is easy to plug in and you can push the camera right up to the bottom of the mirror or roof.
I don't think it makes much difference to visibility since it is a right angle connector and the cable does run vertically.

My question is, why did they not do the same on the mount, then it could have been pushed even closer to the mirror, as it is I had to keep it slightly to the right of the mirror for the cable that comes out the top of the mount, and that means my video is not in exactly the centre of the car so the centre line of the bonnet does not appear vertical on the video.

Why do they still use mini USB connectors?
Mini USB cables are so much harder to find.
Micro USB would have been so much easier.

Mini cables are available, and if you want something long then you can use a standard USB extension cable without worrying about the connector.
For the front to rear connection, it required more than the 5 pins that you get in a micro USB connector.
For the power connection, it could have been a micro, but these are nice solid connections, more suited to a permanent/semi-permanent install.

Hi !

What about parking mode ?
Is it buffered and does it records some seconds before impact or motion detection ?

There is a non-buffered parking mode (similar to A119) on my beta test FW. I'm not sure whether that will be in the final release FW.

Will there be a specific hardwiring kit for the camera or is parking mode the same as the other A119 variants?

Will there be a specific hardwiring kit for the camera or is parking mode the same as the other A119 variants?

Same as A119/A119S/A119 Pro (firmware only, you can power via RHUNDO or Vico Power-Plus type system)

thanks @Jeremy Wong for the great review, I do love the build and look of this camera with the flat profile.

It would really be interesting to see what the Viofo A119 Pro would be like with the Starlight lens used in the Mobius testing. I believe it had a focal length of 4.0.

@TonyM Do you have any plans of trying a Starlight lens like the 4 focal length on the A129 ?

Back