SJ8 Pro 4k@60fps, SJ8 Plus 4K@30fps, SJ8 Air Coming Soon!

Yes and H6B has saturation that makes the sky always too blue! I prefer realism!
One must always keep in mind that action cams are toys compared to DSLRS!

Too blue is also a symptom of color balance. The S8000 has a Kodachrome option (I think they call it something different, but it's obviously Kodachrome). IIRC the sample picture used Kodachrome mode. Blues are cranked up and the image tends to be saturated more than a standard flat profile. Anyway, I wanted that "Kodachrome sky and water" look. That won't rescue the waves and "caves" though. The range just isn't there. But then, short of pro grade cameras, it's hard to come by.

"One must always keep in mind that action cams are toys compared to DSLRS! " Lordy, lordy, lordy... I have been saying that since I joined the forums, and the amount of push-back is amazing. Do these puppies shoot usable stills? Of course. So do phones. Do they survive against a serious DSLR or mirrorless camera? Puh-leeeeeze! Don't make me laugh.

BTW, where on the Eastern Shore? We kept a boat at Kent Narrows, and had family living in St. Michael's.

Indeed.

I just need the side by side, and maybe some raw footage for closer inspection on my own computer, and with the limitations that have on my 1080p monitor, i will make my own conclusions.

This also one reason i dont do reviews, i can take a product fine and use it, but i will say what i personally feel about it good or bad, and then i will try to make some usable footage available so people can make their own mind.
It is also more gratifying for me at least helping polishing a product, and help supporting it.
Even if it is a turd, but a good product are much more pleasing to work with, cuz while i might not have paid for the product myself, my empathy are working good and i have no problem putting myself in the place of some poor SOB that ended up with a dud or getting really bad service.

he reviews all sorts of products that have affiliate links to buy from Gearbest, make of that what you will
That explains being a "homer". Watch the video and tell us what you think of the comparison.

@TwoBlues Nice part of the world! And when the fall festival (blanking on the right name) happens... really nice!

Reviews... Tell the truth as you see it and let the chips fall where they will. The review's always going to be subjective, unless comparing hard numbers such as price, device size, etc.

In this case compare the side-by-side videos. listen to the review. and decide for yourself.

I reviewed a book by an author who was particularly noted for writing on the subject matter in the new book. Even I thought, "if it's from Whats-his-name, it's gotta be good". It was simply not up to the author's standards. In this case, the book was about celestial navigation. Either the math works or it doesn't. Either the description explains the math or it doesn't. It didn't. I told the people I did the review for, "I'm sorry, but this book is a loser. I have no choice but to say that in the review." I can't recall whether the review was published or not. I knew I'd done the right thing, even though it wasn't good news.

That explains being a "homer". Watch the video and tell us what you think of the comparison.

if you were to listen to the audio without viewing the video, or watch the video without hearing the audio, you would come to two completely different conclusions

I don't think he's so much an SJCAM homer as he is a Gearbest homer, it's all about the affiliate links

Indeed.

I just need the side by side, and maybe some raw footage for closer inspection on my own computer, and with the limitations that have on my 1080p monitor, i will make my own conclusions.

This also one reason i dont do reviews, i can take a product fine and use it, but i will say what i personally feel about it good or bad, and then i will try to make some usable footage available so people can make their own mind.
It is also more gratifying for me at least helping polishing a product, and help supporting it.
Even if it is a turd, but a good product are much more pleasing to work with, cuz while i might not have paid for the product myself, my empathy are working good and i have no problem putting myself in the place of some poor SOB that ended up with a dud or getting really bad service.[/QUOT
Months ago when the Sjcam writer was communicating on the sj8 forum I recall stated attributes supposedly included voice control and GPS. Their website these days doesn't mention either! This is data I want to see from a honest review, not a "fluff piece" You?

if you were to listen to the audio without viewing the video, or watch the video without hearing the audio, you would come to two completely different conclusions

I don't think he's so much an SJCAM homer as he is a Gearbest homer, it's all about the affiliate links
Good point. Since GearBest doesn't (and I assume never will) carry GP, but does carry SJCam, where's the surprise.
Months ago when the Sjcam writer was communicating on the sj8 forum I recall stated attributes supposedly included voice control and GPS. Their website these days doesn't mention either! This is data I want to see from a honest review, not a "fluff piece" You?
I'm sure that there were hopes of adding one or the other or both. "Life is what happens when you're busy making plans". The real failure here is operating mouth before engaging brain. Better to surprise customers with voice and/or GPS, instead of proclaiming they're coming and then having to walk it back.

I've said it before... SJCam doesn't seem to have many clues about how to function in this space. They have tons of products (most of which, I suspect, are now hard to find) which overlap, damaging sales (it's call fratricide). The banner product that was, the SJ7, is now ignored. The SJ8 shows up in places that make no sense. At least one review shows it's not much better than the SJ7, except for frame rates, and probably tuned up firmware. Whether it's cooler than the SJ7 is anyone's guess. If there's a review that says something about it one way or another, I've missed it. But then I've missed dinner, too. LOL

Finally, AFAIK, nobody has used the 4K transcoding trick to show 1080 accurately. All of the videos with 1080 show YT compression artifacts. It's interesting to see that the H6B does better than the SJ8, even though they operate with the same handicap.

- - - - -
Yep, Waterfowl Festival, where 90 bazillion kids run around, tooting their duck and goose calls. Oh my. So much fun. But the carvings that look so life-like. WOW!!

I was surprised the SJ8P was able to do 4K/60 and a few other things, seem like the amputated chipset in it, aint that amputated after all comparing to the bigger chipset in the YI 4K+

The voice control i can see useful if i had several cameras, so i could start a recording on them all by saying the command for that, and thats pretty neat.
On the other hand when i use several cameras on 1 take, its often a passage for the little 4x4 truck and most cameras are within 6 - 7 feet flanking the route i / we plan on driving, so manual start / stop on button are not that big a deal after all factoring in it is rare i make such recordings.

IMNSHO voice control is a gimmick. I found a "3 months in" H6B review. Voice control was on the gripe list. The reviewer said the camera reacted about 70% of the time. The remaining 30% of the time, the reviewer felt and looked like a fool (fails included in review).

The option to do GPS overlays is ...um... interesting but becomes more bragging about how screamin' sick someone was than anything meaningful. "Bro! Here's how fast I was going when I fell off the cliff"... [/ rolled eyes ]

Regarding the older SJ cameras, not least the Sj7, i have been like on a rollercoaster ride, some people have issues with it making me think have a missed something on mine.
But truth be told then i think even if i paid full price for them i would not have been all that sad about it, mostly it have been working fine for me, aside for the known step backs once in a while with the firmware, and a few things like 1080p/120 not being that good, again depending on the firmware of choice.
O i almost forgot, on the SJ7 i did have to make a focus adjustment on it when i got it, but its no big deal and even the best ones can make that boo - boo.
Other than that i haven't noticed many having that focus issue, but it is a serious issue that would ruin it for many a regular Joe if they encountered it.

The 6 air and legend i have just used as 1080/60 shooters, and they done that just fine for me.

A lens/focus error is a game killer IMHO. Either it's right or it's not. And "not" is unacceptable. QC should be able to check this with "turn on camera, look at target, are things in spec?" If no, dropkick the thing out the door or at least fix the problem. If yes, send it to packaging. Easy-peasy.

Good point. Since GearBest doesn't (and I assume never will) carry GP, but does carry SJCam, where's the surprise.

I'm sure that there were hopes of adding one or the other or both. "Life is what happens when you're busy making plans". The real failure here is operating mouth before engaging brain. Better to surprise customers with voice and/or GPS, instead of proclaiming they're coming and then having to walk it back.

I've said it before... SJCam doesn't seem to have many clues about how to function in this space. They have tons of products (most of which, I suspect, are now hard to find) which overlap, damaging sales (it's call fratricide). The banner product that was, the SJ7, is now ignored. The SJ8 shows up in places that make no sense. At least one review shows it's not much better than the SJ7, except for frame rates, and probably tuned up firmware. Whether it's cooler than the SJ7 is anyone's guess. If there's a review that says something about it one way or another, I've missed it. But then I've missed dinner, too. LOL

Finally, AFAIK, nobody has used the 4K transcoding trick to show 1080 accurately. All of the videos with 1080 show YT compression artifacts. It's interesting to see that the H6B does better than the SJ8, even though they operate with the same handicap.

- - - - -
Yep, Waterfowl Festival, where 90 bazillion kids run around, tooting their duck and goose calls. Oh my. So much fun. But the carvings that look so life-like. WOW!!
Don't forget the hunting dog demonstrations!

The voice control on my Yi 4k+ is satisfactory! It will work to control the camera on the windshield if the radio is off.
Outside in the wind-not so good. You must have your mouth mm. from the cam. I have seen a review from dcrainmaker on the Garmin vibe ultra 30 in which he said the voice control is more effective than the Hero5. He shows it by ordering the cam from 30 feet away.

IMNSHO voice control is a gimmick. I found a "3 months in" H6B review. Voice control was on the gripe list. The reviewer said the camera reacted about 70% of the time. The remaining 30% of the time, the reviewer felt and looked like a fool (fails included in review).

The option to do GPS overlays is ...um... interesting but becomes more bragging about how screamin' sick someone was than anything meaningful. "Bro! Here's how fast I was going when I fell off the cliff"... [/ rolled eyes ]
Which camera?

Voice control, or any form of voice stuff really, take decades to get support for Danish.
I think the fruit company have had it for a while in their phones, but google are not even there yet, and the problem speaking english are that i personally seem to speak a english not quite like any of the official ones out there, so UK english dont quite work for me and neither do US english.
And i dont feel like i suck at english and are not pronouncing it correctly.
And really for most stuff Danish is what i need, and what most of the people i communicate with understand.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kamkar SJ8 2
kamkar SJ8 12
TechTronic9000 SJ8 5
Back