Is the SGGCX2 worth buying over other competitor models?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a few of the original street guardian on different cars so I can't complain. However, I am wondering if the current street guardian SGGCX2 model is worth the price premium over other competitor models that are on the market right now?

Thanks.

I have a few of the original street guardian on different cars so I can't complain. However, I am wondering if the current street guardian SGGCX2 model is worth the price premium over other competitor models that are on the market right now?

Thanks.

If you want a good combination of reliability and quality (plus top notch support) I think the answer is yes. I’m obviously biased but you did ask and that’s an honest answer from years of experience selling many brands under another company. Street Guardian is trying to build a long-term high end name brand, not just move boxes that’s for sure

IQ is about as good as it will get with the 1080p cameras that SG for good reasons stick to at the moment ( low light performance ) but if you can find something you think SG could improve on just say so.
Of course its not everything that can be done as i have found out airing the myriad of good ideas my brain cough up, but every day problems they do their best to deal with, thats for sure.

Customer care are really good, questions / concerns aired in here normally have a RPLY time of minutes, and thats RPLY from official SG dealers or the boss himself, you dont get that with any other brand.
Compared to most dashcam brands i would even say SG are off the chart, if you cant get a fell good ( about spending a lot of money on something ) with SG, then it will be hard for you to do that with anything.

Its not for his spamming performance the SG boss are the #1 member on this forum :)

I will grant you that there are other and cheaper cameras that do IQ much like the one you get in SG cameras, and one of those i gather you too could get a couple of years service out of and so be well worth the money.
But i dont think its just profit that make the SG cameras more expensive, its many little things that add up i recon,.
So for instance you could put a 50 cent capacitor in your camera, or you can put a 90 cent capacitor in the camera, the 50 cent one might be good enough but the 90 cent one are more expensive for a reason.
Same goes with a lot of the components in a camera, ranging from the USB plug to the lens, and this can add up to one camera being more expensive than another though they have same CMOS and performance are much alike.
No doubt sourcing / buying a new dashcam have never been harder, and it do bring its own set of worries with it.

I am also affiliated with SG in the sense they send me a camera or two now and then, but other than the first one i ever got from them having a heat related focus shift, then thats also all the problems i ever had with a SG camera.
In testing the new SGGCX2 and SG9663DC i have had some issues too, but they have solely been blamed in me running large experimental memory cards in them, as soon as i put a better brand card in the problems evaporated.

O and then i had the RTC battery in a GPS mouse antenna being bad on arrival resulting in longer than normal GPS fix times, no problem SG just send a new one. ( remember one other user on this board having same problem and fix )

SGGCX2 are pretty dialed in as its a continuation of the GC line, the DC are a new camera and have not yet seen any serious IQ work, it work fine though with the default stuff but i am sure SG can tweak them too, its just operational updates take the front seat on new cameras, once thats done IQ adjustments follow.

It would be good to get an opion from someone not affiliated with Street Guardian, support may be good but if you are paying premium dollars for a camera you should have no need to call them.

That's not the case when anything comes out of a production line. Even bespoked brands may have a part that was faulty assembled or even faulty from their provider's production line.
I was in the same situation about a year ago, trying to make the right choice for a dash cam from the endless sea of models. If anyone is buying his first dash cam, there are plenty to read and more to think.

A complete package that contains everything you may need to install and use is there, in the SGGCX2 box. That, on top of the very solid video quality (night and day) which afterall is the main use of any dash cam.
Yes, I had issues with my own SG9665GCV3 but they were solved fast and professionally, honoring the 2 year hastle-free warranty. Who here today can say the same for any other dash cam brand? Many other companies try but they are not at that level yet.

Would I buy a SG cam again? For sure, especially if it is for the front windshield as I consider a solid product should be there. Probably a 2 channel SG product next time. If I choose a single channel product, for the back window other cheaper solutions may be a true option.

Oh, and I am not affiliated/associated in any way with SG guys. Just a one time customer.

Sent from my LG-H960

Thanks.
I guess it depends on the competitor model and the prices... What are you considering?

It's still a difficult question to answer though; if it is just for use as an accident camera then I find it hard to justify spending more than the <$50 for a Blueskysea B1W which works well as a 1080 dashcam and so far has been reliable and had very good support, but if you want to make nice movies then the image quality leaves a lot to be desired, as does the sound quality, so given an unlimited pot of money it is not what I would buy...

Some brands you can trust to give you a good camera and sort out problems, if you choose a different brand then make sure you read up on the camera first because there is a lot of rubbish out there, some of it with excellent marketing! If your time is valuable then maybe choosing the SG and saving the time to investigate is worth any extra cost, for other people, they enjoy trying different things...

(I've never knowingly seen an SG product.)

Thanks Jokiin, will talk to @niko as he has been very helpful, from the 1st day of my order till recently where he offered me a solution to another of my concerns.

Sorry for the off topic guys.

Στάλθηκε από το Lenovo TB2-X30F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Thanks.
I have had only 1 other dashcam. When it worked, it worked well. However I had some issues with it and eventually gave up.

With Street Guardian you are buying more that just a Great dashcam. You are also getting the best in service and help when you need it. I am a satisfied customer. I wish every product I purchased came with as much customer care!

I have had only 1 other dashcam. When it worked, it worked well. However I had some issues with it and eventually gave up.

With Street Guardian you are buying more that just a Great dashcam. You are also getting the best in service and help when you need it. I am a satisfied customer. I wish every product I purchased came with as much customer care!

thanks, appreciate your feedback

The SGGCX2 that I presently have is the only one I have ever had but every time I have had a question I come to the Forum where it is answered promptly. When I need another dash cam I will definitely go to SG. Good customer service.

Back