Mobius Maxi F1.5 2.7k

A peek inside the Mobius Maxi (pre-release sample).

The case is held together with 2No small screws at the front of the case, and two lugs at the rear of the case. The lens holder sits within the split barrel opening at the front of the case. This will make it much easier to accommodate any third party lenses than the Mobius 1, where some lenses would clash with the case. Also note that the FRP lens holder has a set screw for easy focus adjustment and lens replacement. The Maxi comes with a 950mAh battery, which is enough for 140 minutes at 2.7k 30fps or 100 minutes at 1080p 60fps.

Beneath the battery is the PCB. The lens ribbon cable connects to both the PCB and the lens module with a socket and clamping bar, similar in design to the Mobius 1 and Mobius 2. Note that the battery connector is smaller than that on the M1 and M2. It is understood to be the same as that used in the Mobius Mini. At the top of the case you can see an antenna for the WiFi function, which is not yet enabled on the Maxi.

Last edited:
Nice.
Have you tested the EIS in it ? as the sensor are not overly larger than what is needed for 1080p there cant be much additional sensor surface to chase the image around on.

EIS in this form factor would be so nice for the action i would use it for, and of no real consequence used as a dashcam.
I do think the F1 might be a better option for this.

O i got 500 kr back from my insurance company, contemplating picking one of these up,,,,, also contemplating getting 256 Gb M2 hard drive for upcoming computer upgrade ( if bank will still lend me the money for that )
I think maybe a regular spinning hard drive will be a smarter option,,,,,, but im not always that smart.

Mobius Maxi and Mobius 1 side-by-side

The Maxi case dimensions are identical to the M1. The Maxi also has the same rubberised plastic which offers a decent amount of grip for hand-holding the camera.

The main physical differences between the Maxi and the M1 are:
- Maxi has a centrally placed lens. The M1 lens is offset from centre. This may be of more benefit to RC video users when aligning the camera on a quad or plane.
- Maxi has ventilation holes down both sides - similar to the revised Mobius Mini case
- Maxi has a heatsink plate on the front around the power button. There are two heatsink colour options. Black as shown here, and bright orange which may appeal to RC users.
- The button layout is different. The central button is the power button (unlike the GitUp F1 where the central button is the record button). Reaching for the Mode button to save an event recording whilst driving is more difficult than on the M1.
- The recording indicator (optional) is now on the rear corner, which makes it easier to see. The ring around the power button lights up and/or flashes green/amber/red/blue depending on the mode of operation.

Last edited:
Nice.
Have you tested the EIS in it ? as the sensor are not overly larger than what is needed for 1080p there cant be much additional sensor surface to chase the image around on.

EIS in this form factor would be so nice for the action i would use it for, and of no real consequence used as a dashcam.
I do think the F1 might be a better option for this.
I tried EIS once or twice and found that it was ineffective, at least at 1080p. It is the same with the Mobius Mini as far as I know. The F1 is much better if you want image stabilisation in this form factor.

Ever since I had the opportunity to see a photo of the new Maxi some months ago I've been sort of amused and perhaps a bit freaked out by the obvious casket/coffin iconography embedded in the design. It's kind of a Goth action camera look I guess. Hope it's not a bad omen.....:vamp::smuggrin:

View attachment 38431

Maybe some kind of morbide self humor from the dev's...?

Why did they stick with the old mini USB connector? Micro USB is more robust and can handle many more cycles. USB C would be even better

Why did they stick with the old mini USB connector? Micro USB is more robust and can handle many more cycles. USB C would be even better
It's a 10-pin connector that allows for an external device to be connected (e.g. external MIC). I'm not sure if that's possible with micro USB?

Flickering LED light source inside the bollard has 6No flashes within single frame in IMX291 video, compared to 4No in Maxi video
Hmmm... something is wrong here as both videos should have same 1/30s exposure time. Moreover the IMX291 has much better low-light performance allowing to set faster shutter speeds to decrease motion blur.

Regular Micro USB is 5 pin. 10 pin version is used specifically for USB 3.0 devices, like external drives, no backward compliance.

Maybe some kind of morbide self humor from the dev's...?

Maybe. I guess it depends on how it performs as a camera and in the marketplace since the M2 was a sort of near-death experience. I've taken to calling it the Mobius Coffin Cam. :phantom:

Last edited:
Does it support lower framerates? I've settled on 10fps with my Mobius cameras. That gives 5mbps bitrate and great image quality with enough frames to capture motion

Hmmm... something is wrong here as both videos should have same 1/30s exposure time. Moreover the IMX291 has much better low-light performance allowing to set faster shutter speeds to decrease motion blur.
The frame rate is 1/30s on both cameras, but the exposure times do not have to be 1/30s. I think the Maxi is using an exposure time shorter than the IMX291 camera, which is evident from comparing the amount of motion blur in each frame. IMX291 is more light sensitive which allows for a lower ISO/gain setting. Maxi video does have higher noise, but I don't think it's excessive.

Does it support lower framerates? I've settled on 10fps with my Mobius cameras. That gives 5mbps bitrate and great image quality with enough frames to capture motion
The slowest video frame rate is 24fps. The Mobius Mini, Maxi and M2 do not support the low frame rates that the Mobius 1 offers.

It's got holes in the side to let the rain in instead of having a heatsink?

Good to see the microphone away from the power supply, might be a bit less noise on the audio than the M1?

I'm currently running 5 different Mobius 1 cameras and the audio is clean, clear and pristine on all of them. In fact, I often use one of the cams exclusively for audio. I've often found the audio on the Mobius to be superior to certain other cameras which seem to have a tendency to distort in noisy environments.

Last edited:
It's got holes in the side to let the rain in instead of having a heatsink?

Good to see the microphone away from the power supply, might be a bit less noise on the audio than the M1?
It has ventilation holes AND a heatsink (the metallic plate on the front). I should have mentioned that. Post edited.

It has ventilation holes AND a heatsink (the metallic plate on the front). I should have mentioned that. Post edited.
Ahh, hadn't noticed that. Might get a bit warm for your fingers when in 4K?

Sensor doesn't seem to have much cooling, especially with the lens holder not being metal.

Ahh, hadn't noticed that. Might get a bit warm for your fingers when in 4K?

Sensor doesn't seem to have much cooling, especially with the lens holder not being metal.
It doesn't seem to get any hotter than the Mobius 1 when continuous loop recording at 60Mbps. It's not something I would use for parking recording in an enclosed car though.

The Mobius 2 and the Mobius Mini use the 10 pin mini-B USB port. Seems to make sense that they would stick with the same cable plugs and port on the Maxi.

pin-outs.jpg

Back