Mobius Maxi F1.5 2.7k

I like the M1 colors better.... Maxi may need some light gain down-tuning?
Brightness, contrast & saturation can all be adjusted in mSetup. I try to stick with default values for testing and comparisons.
I too prefer the M1 colours. I am hopeful that Maxi can be fine-tuned to deliver a better colour balance as the FW develops.

I don't have a Maxi with Lens A, but I do have a Maxi with Lens B, and a Mobius 1 with Lens D.

Maxi Lens B has an all-metal construction. Mobius 1 Lens D is plastic.
View attachment 38510

Thanks for posting this but I don't consider this to be a valid comparison due to the fact that both camera housings are quite different. The Maxi and the M1 have different seat placement for the lens modules and the Maxi has an extended lens bezel shroud that might require a different module housing than the M1, perhaps one with a longer barrel. I think I'll wait to see an actual Maxi with the A lens.

Either way, I'm discouraged to see a glued-in lens. Hopefully, it will be a glue that will allow the lens to be removed. One of my M2 samples has a lens installed that I have not been able to remove no matter what I've tried.

Quick demonstration of auto record and notification LEDs

Both cameras are flashing alternate amber (video mode 1) and green (charging)

Quick demonstration of auto record and notification LEDs

Both cameras are flashing alternate amber (video mode 1) and green (charging)

OMG! As cool as it seems that LED indicator looks like it could present a real problem. Just yesterday, in another thread I posted a discussion about dash cam LED recording indicators that are far too bright at night, especially under certain conditions.

Under the circumstances, for convenience and clarity I'll repost my commentary here in this thread:

"It's difficult for manufacturers to find the right brightness balance for indicator lights on dash cams. For example, I live in a rural area where driving at night is often on back country roads in pitch black conditions with no street lights whatsoever. Several cameras I've owned have had recording indicator lights that are far too bright for those conditions. For example, one camera that had either a RED or BLUE pulsating indicator (depending on the mode you were using) was the worst of the bunch as it would literally illuminate the interior of the cabin of my truck each time it blinked. It was not only annoying, it was a serious distraction. The designers had obviously not stopped to consider low light conditions when they chose a brightness level for the LED pilot lights.

As it happens, I was referring to the Mobius 2. (I think this issue may have been partially addressed in later firmware but I'm not exactly sure.)

Another, aspect of recording indicators that are too bright is that if you use the camera to record while away from your vehicle, too bright LED indicators tend to call far too much attention to themselves, sometimes from quite a distance away from the vehicle.

Let's hope the brightness of the LED indicators on the Maxi are not a low light hazard and that the issue will be quickly addressed if it turns out that it is.

I like the small lights on the Mobius 1 because you can easily cover them with a little piece of black tape. The rear narrow angle light is nice because you can leave it uncovered and it's still visible. For example I can see that my rear camera is working properly but the red light isn't visible outside the car

OMG! As cool as it seems that LED indicator looks like it could present a real problem. Just yesterday, in another thread I posted a discussion about dash cam LED recording indicators that are far too bright at night, especially under certain conditions.

Under the circumstances, for convenience and clarity I'll repost my commentary here in this thread:

"It's difficult for manufacturers to find the right brightness balance for indicator lights on dash cams. For example, I live in a rural area where driving at night is often on back country roads in pitch black conditions with no street lights whatsoever. Several cameras I've owned have had recording indicator lights that are far too bright for those conditions. For example, one camera that had either a RED or BLUE pulsating indicator (depending on the mode you were using) was the worst of the bunch as it would literally illuminate the interior of the cabin of my truck each time it blinked. It was not only annoying, it was a serious distraction. The designers had obviously not stopped to consider low light conditions when they chose a brightness level for the LED pilot lights.

As it happens, I was referring to the Mobius 2. (I think this issue may have been partially addressed in later firmware but I'm not exactly sure.)

Another, aspect of recording indicators that are too bright is that if you use the camera to record while away from your vehicle, too bright LED indicators tend to call far too much attention to themselves, sometimes from quite a distance away from the vehicle.

Let's hope the brightness of the LED indicators on the Maxi are not a low light hazard and that the issue will be quickly addressed if it turns out that it is.
I have not found that the Maxi LED indicators are a distraction when driving at night, but they are more noticeable than on the M1. The rear corner red LED can be turned off in the settings if desired.

With the cameras installed on the opposite side of the rear view mirror from me while driving today, I found I could not tell at a glance if the M1 was still recording. I had to wait until I stopped at a light or junction to lean over and check the LEDs. The red LED on the Maxi was a bit easier to see, although it is still hard to spot against bright exterior daylight.

I know what you mean about the M2. The side-facing LED next to the buttons could be quite a distraction at night.

The original files were MP4. When I combined the 1min clips in Avidemux, I chose AVI as the output type. For some reason it did not want to save as MP4. It's still a direct copy rather than re-encoded video, as the file was created in a matter of seconds.
Should've used Registrator Viewer. ;)

I have not found that the Maxi LED indicators are a distraction when driving at night, but they are more noticeable than on the M1. The rear corner red LED can be turned off in the settings if desired.

With the cameras installed on the opposite side of the rear view mirror from me while driving today, I found I could not tell at a glance if the M1 was still recording. I had to wait until I stopped at a light or junction to lean over and check the LEDs. The red LED on the Maxi was a bit easier to see, although it is still hard to spot against bright exterior daylight.

I know what you mean about the M2. The side-facing LED next to the buttons could be quite a distraction at night.

I'm not concerned so much about the rear RED LED, I'm more concerned about the big glowing circle, especially in the pitch dark rural conditions I so often find myself in. I guess, I'll have to wait to experience the camera myself before reaching any conclusions.

I'm not concerned so much about the rear RED LED, I'm more concerned about the big glowing circle, especially in the pitch dark rural conditions I so often find myself in. I guess, I'll have to wait to experience the camera myself before reaching any conclusions.
Half of my drive to work is along unlit country roads, and I've had this camera since the middle of winter. I don't recall thinking "Gosh, they're bright lights". But I do understand we may have different perceptions on what is too bright or not. As you say, you'll just have to wait and see for yourself.

not pulling the trigger until external mic and wifi is standard.

I've never tried it. I intend to give it a go one day, and Dashcam Viewer too.
For the purpose of joining clips together only, it's a better and simpler solution. The output is always the same as the input, no questions asked.

The Mobius Maxi contains an interesting routine regarding high bitrates and microSD card speed. As noted in the manual, "If the firmware detects that the card is too slow (class rating too low), it will decrease the recording speed and/or resolution and the parameter value will be overwritten." I'm not sure how common this is. I think my 4K cameras simply stop recording if the card cannot handle the user-specified bitrate.

Wondering if also for the MAXI (high bitrate?) it will be offered a lens extension cable like for m1...
extension cable.jpg

Here is a short video showing the basic Maxi button functions, the indicator LEDs and the different beep sounds for video and photo modes.

Half of my drive to work is along unlit country roads, and I've had this camera since the middle of winter. I don't recall thinking "Gosh, they're bright lights". But I do understand we may have different perceptions on what is too bright or not. As you say, you'll just have to wait and see for yourself.

As long as it's no Christmas tree lighting up, I'm ok with it. But I dó find it important to have a low level of attraction in my rig, since our fellow road users are increasingly aware and I am not looking for any conflict with them, especially because most troublemakers are 2 heads higher and way more physically present then myself... :ROFLMAO:

Stealthy dashcams are the way to avoid unnecessary conflicts, even when nothing has happened to trigger these guys at all.

I was unloading, and while walking back to the cabin to drive off, some guys were waiting for me, right there, asking me intimidatingly if "that's a dashcam", "because we don't want to get filmed when walking on the public streets". I had to do quite some convincing to make clear it's only recording when driving. NOT a nice moment I can tell you that.

So stealthy, YEAH....

VERY IMPORTANT GUYS..... I kid you not.

PS did someone say Mobius Maxi can turn off the rear led? ONLY the rear led? Why not the BIG round on? Come on Mobius team, it is DESIGNED as a dashcam, no?

Last edited:
The Mobius Maxi contains an interesting routine regarding high bitrates and microSD card speed. As noted in the manual, "If the firmware detects that the card is too slow (class rating too low), it will decrease the recording speed and/or resolution and the parameter value will be overwritten." I'm not sure how common this is. I think my 4K cameras simply stop recording if the card cannot handle the user-specified bitrate.

THAT IS NEAT!!!

Back