Dual Use Action & Dash Cam

Majsco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm looking for a camera i can use as both a dash cam and an action cam. The idea is that i could use it daily in my car hardwired in but then when I arrive at my destination i could remove it from my car, change the SD Card and use it as an action cam preferably with a chest strap. Does such a thing exist? Would i just be better off getting two cheaper cameras?

chest strap

Then you better make sure the camera have a good EIS, which i do think the Git 3 have.
putting a camera on the chest means it will have little shock absorption, so the footage can be a little bumpy, of course depending in what kind of terrain you walk in.

Check Gitup G3 Duo Pro

https://www.gitup.com/home/76-gitup-g3-duo-pro-packing.html

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
Then you better make sure the camera have a good EIS, which i do think the Git 3 have.
putting a camera on the chest means it will have little shock absorption, so the footage can be a little bumpy, of course depending in what kind of terrain you walk in.

This certainly seems like what I'm looking for however it doesn't look like anyone is selling it in the UK for a reasonable price. :(

Indeed the G3 are not a cheapo camera.

I had good results using my Sjcam SJ6 legend recording a 9 hour long drive last "summer" and it also have a working EIS system, but i also think its in the same price range as the G3.
But these action cameras while they have dashcam functionality then they also have a major drawback in the XX megapixel sensors they use, so they are not optimal for low light recordings.
And i personally would not like to have a action camera on my windscreen all the time, and really a dashcam need to be there all the time, taking the camera out of the car every time you leave it sort of defeat the whole purpose of them, cuz the one time you forget it,,,, thats probably the one time you need it.
Also most punks know action cameras so the risk of theft are much higher than the dashcams most people dont know much about.

This certainly seems like what I'm looking for however it doesn't look like anyone is selling it in the UK for a reasonable price. :(

what price UK seller do sell them?

I like the rear camera option for this G3 but isn't 1080p resolution a tad low with all these 4K camera around? I'm also in the same boat whereas I think my action cam/dash cam utilisation would be around 20/80. From the reviews I've been reading, 4K resolution would definitely help in terms of identifying the license plate in the video. I was originally eyeing the SJCam SJ7 Star and was hoping for features like WDR. Waited for the SJ8 but based on what I'm reading so far, SJ8 isn't all that great so I might revert back to SJ7 Star. What do you guys think?

Just be aware, you want something with decent night time performance if you're going to use it as both a dashcam and action camera. Very few current 4K cameras are good at night. To that end, you might be better off with 2 cameras - something such as a Viofo A119 and an action camera. For chest mounting probably a GoPro or GoPro clone would be best due to the shape.

Back