WR1 good replacement for A118?

LuRcH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had my original A118 for years, and as know from its behaviour that the battery is knackered and is just showing its age against newer ones. I am looking to replace it, ideally with the WR1, or an A119S. As not really ever used the screen on my A118 other than to set it, I am leaning towards the WR1.

What is everyone’s experience of the WR1 and would you recommend it over the A119S? Also what settings can you change via the App? Can you change things such as muting the mic? As prefer not to have conversations recorded.

although you don't use the screen much it is way more convenient for knowing what is going on with the camera, screenless cameras can be frustrating when something goes wrong, that aside though the A119S is a much better product and worth the extra cost

I would never get a camera without wifi. So much easier than trying to dig out the SD card or hooking up a USB cable. Just wouldn't buy a Viofo product.

although you don't use the screen much it is way more convenient for knowing what is going on with the camera, screenless cameras can be frustrating when something goes wrong, that aside though the A119S is a much better product and worth the extra cost

The A119S gets a rating of 3.5 stars on Amazon with 23% one star reviews. Lots of failures. Not a good product even for free.

The A119S gets a rating of 3.5 stars on Amazon with 23% one star reviews. Lots of failures. Not a good product even for free.
Failure rate on the Viofo cameras I have sold is very low. Most reported failures I see are usually related to the power source, memory card or cable used. Many think they can use any old USB cable or USB port, then return/leave a poor review when the camera isn't operating correctly, without even reaching out for help.

Failure rate on the Viofo cameras I have sold is very low. Most reported failures I see are usually related to the power source, memory card or cable used. Many think they can use any old USB cable or USB port, then return/leave a poor review when the camera isn't operating correctly, without even reaching out for help.

Viofo supplies a crappy cigarette lighter USB power adapter that gets bad connections with the USB cable causing the camera to reboot or not power up. Real dash cam makers have cigarette lighter plugs where the USB cable is wired directly into the cigarette lighter plug eliminating a potential point of failure.

Viofo supplies a crappy cigarette lighter USB power adapter that gets bad connections with the USB cable causing the camera to reboot or not power up. Real dash cam makers have cigarette lighter plugs where the USB cable is wired directly into the cigarette lighter plug eliminating a potential point of failure.
The original 2-port USB adapter did have trouble in certain cars 12V port. I guess it wasn't long enough to make a good connection in some cars. They changed to a different adapter awhile back. I assume you have the original.

The original 2-port USB adapter did have trouble in certain cars 12V port. I guess it wasn't long enough to make a good connection in some cars. They changed to a different adapter awhile back. I assume you have the original.

No, I have the new one because I had to have the WR1 replaced under warranty because the video would stop recording (freeze) while the audio continued to record but I got no warning beeps.

The new one removed the LED from the front where it was visible from any direction to an LED ring around it which is impossible to see from the front or when the plug is placed lower on the dashboard where my cigarette outlet is.

The bad connection on mine was NOT between the cigarrette adapter and outlet, but between the adapter and USB cable going to the camera. Real dash cam makers have an adapter that has the USB cable hardwired into the adapter to prevent this but Viofo doesn't care about reliablity.

Yes but what part of the USB cable hard wired into the adapter didn't you understand?
Perhaps I misunderstood your point, sorry.

Anything that's hardwired has the entry point as a failure point. That's why cables usually have strain reliefs and that's also why most cable failures happen at the strain relief, as many simply don't work properly or fail over time anyway. At least with a separate adaptor and cable like Viofo supply, you can simply change the cable or adaptor cheaply and carry on using the cam. Once you hardwire them all together, it becomes a whole lot more expensive and if the cable is hardwired into the camera itself, it becomes a whole new camera time.

If you want rock solid connections then the answer is Neutrik connectors. Unfortunately they don't make them in the kind of mini size needed for dashcams and having a neutrik connector would still reuqire hardwired leads out from both the camera and adaptor creating potential failure points.

In my experience, the biggest failure point is usually the mini USB B socket as it's subject to lots of movement if the dashcam is regularly unplugged or comes away from the screen. To that end I've often wondered if a USB 3.0 micro B connector might work better as it's wider which spreads the load over a larger area. You can also get conventional USB plugs with a fixing thumbscrew added, but the issue here is probably again size for something as small as a dashcam, and again you create a strain point in the cable once you fix it firmly.

As for the OP's question. I have both the WR1 and the A119 Pro. Out of the 2, the A119 Pro is better, and the A119S is better than the Pro at night. SO given the choices, I'd personally buy the A119S. The Wr1 though is still a good choice for a discreet tailgate camera.

I have 2 cigarette lighter adapters with a USB mini end.
Both are a one piece unit. I would prefer a separate adapter and plug in cable in case one part fails I do not have to replace the entire system.
I figure over time the cable will flex, bend and break. It may never happen. If it does I would rather replace just the cable instead of the cable attached to an adapter.
It does not matter. It is a personal choice. USB cables when plugged in securely do not tend to fall out in a car.

Back