Beating a dead horse

vacuumboots

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've had 3 sj7 stars, bought them all at the same time, around a year ago.

I treated them well and used them sparingly. Never shot in 4k as I don't need 4k footage and didn't want to stress the cameras.
#1 spontaneously exploded/started-on-fire while I was transferring video to my PC.
#2 the LCD on the back separated itself from the back. I superglued it back on and the screen seemed fine. Then one of my batteries swelled itself enough that I ripped the tab off trying to get it out.
I'm not sure what to do with it now, I've got lots of other batteries I could use, but without being able to get the swollen one out, the device is useless (I'm not going to turn it on with the swollen battery in there). The whole camera is probably garbage now.
#3) The third one has held up pretty well. I wouldn't use it as a head-cam because I don't want it that close to my head, but it's alright for walking around with on a gimbal when the weather is nice.

Lessons for if you have a sj7 star
- don't ever store your sj7 with a battery in it.
- buy one of these https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B077Q5CF6Y

Lessons for if you don't have a sj7 star:
- dont get one.

I treated them well and used them sparingly. Never shot in 4k as I don't need 4k footage and didn't want to stress the cameras.
#1 spontaneously exploded/started-on-fire while I was transferring video to my PC.
#2 the LCD on the back separated itself from the back. I superglued it back on and the screen seemed fine. Then one of my batteries swelled itself enough that I ripped the tab off trying to get it out.
I'm not sure what to do with it now, I've got lots of other batteries I could use, but without being able to get the swollen one out, the device is useless (I'm not going to turn it on with the swollen battery in there). The whole camera is probably garbage now.
#3) The third one has held up pretty well. I wouldn't use it as a head-cam because I don't want it that close to my head, but it's alright for walking around with on a gimbal when the weather is nice.

- dont get one.
They advertise that the Star is 4k capable but just using that resolution to film occasionally will generate enough heat, even with the cam in the frame, to cause the batteries to swell . Two of my four batteries are useless, and I have damaged the latch removing #2.
Did the " brains of the outfit" leave to move to Gitup?

- dont get one.
Regarding # 2 cam, I was able to rap my Star carefully on my desk and move the battery enough to grasp it.

I'm happy with my new Yi 4k+ with it's energy efficient H2 SOC and lower power consumption and therefore less heat generation!!

I've seen a lot of positive feedback on Yi 4k and comparing it to SJ

I've seen a lot of positive feedback on Yi 4k and comparing it to SJ
It's the Yi 4K+ that is the good one but that's more expensive than the SJ7,
If you want something cheapish then the Xiaomi Mijia Mini 4K seems to be doing well,
In the middle, as an alternative to the SJ7, the Gitup G3 is a very nice camera. It is 1080, not 4K, but it does 1080 really well and you weren't using the 4K on your SJ7 anyway!
Not sure what is at the top, the GoPro Hero 6 seems to have almost as many problems as the SJ7.

Sjcam is selling the sj8 pro at a comparable price to Yi 4k+, but it is not the Yi's equal-by a long shot!

Back