SooCoo 360H cheapo as overview camera

kojelautakamera

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Hello from Finland. I am new here and am sorry if this has been discussed. I have had dashcam for over 10 yrs and now I have DOD 430W which is not very reliable. I am going to get better front and rear camera if I find reliable Accident Preventing Dash Cam. BUT the problem is, as you all know, that those don't show sideways. I tought to try my cheap SooCoo 360 degree camera attached on the middle of ceiling. If something happens, I can see the overview. And then register number or so in the better dashcam. Has anybody tried this?

SOOCOO-360H.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think it will work good from a place like that, and im not sure the camera can handle the lighting challenges, i know my interior camera the side windows it see and my rear window it is aimed at from its location on the mirror stalk, well those windows are just a white out as the camera set itself to render the inside of the car.

The interior is not important so it has to be adjustet so that outside exposure is OK. I don't know if the camera can hadle that. If not, I must perhaps make modifications to the camera. That may be quite challenging. I am retired TV studio camera and video tape recorder maintenance engineer but these are so integrated that it may be impossible to adjust the exposure. If I put it to the roof, it would be better. My son told that I could post my own streetcam videos to Youtube. :cool:

Also one thing i would say, if a camera like this are not 4K resolution, then what ever resolution they do have spread over a 360 degree image will be low resolution.

Here is a demo of how my camera cope with the lighting in my car.

As you can see though from another location, even if you can adjust exposure to get best possible of the stuff outside, then the windows are just like portholes.
Many of us have full 360 coverage on out cars, but it is done with 4 cameras placed right up against the windows, with the normal camera lenses with 130 - 150 degree FOV that give you a video bubble to drive inside.

You will be far better off getting 2 B1W cameras instead of that thing, and place them on your side windows.

I have mine placed like this ( side cameras )

Hello from Finland. I am new here and am sorry if this has been discussed. I have had dashcam for over 10 yrs and now I have DOD 430W which is not very reliable. I am going to get better front and rear camera if I find reliable Accident Preventing Dash Cam. BUT the problem is, as you all know, that those don't show sideways. I tought to try my cheap SooCoo 360 degree camera attached on the middle of ceiling. If something happens, I can see the overview. And then register number or so in the better dashcam. Has anybody tried this?
I have never seen a camera that prevents accidents. There are a few with LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System), but they never work.

The job of a dashcam is to record accidents, not prevent them.

As Kamkar1 says, any camera that sees mainly the inside of the car will have incorrect exposure for the outside, 1 camera can not do both inside and outside. And you will get a much better side image from a pair of cheap B1W than from an expensive 360 camera.

Also one thing i would say, if a camera like this are not 4K resolution, then what ever resolution they do have spread over a 360 degree image will be low resolution.

Here is a demo of how my camera cope with the lighting in my car.

As you can see though from another location, even if you can adjust exposure to get best possible of the stuff outside, then the windows are just like portholes.
Many of us have full 360 coverage on out cars, but it is done with 4 cameras placed right up against the windows, with the normal camera lenses with 130 - 150 degree FOV that give you a video bubble to drive inside.

You will be far better off getting 2 B1W cameras instead of that thing, and place them on your side windows.

I have mine placed like this ( side cameras )

I'd like to have dashcam with four cameraheads. I wonder why those are not available. I know that SooCoo has not very impressive image quality but that is not needed. SooCoo has 1280*1024 resolution on 28fps and I am not so convicted about it at all. It also is quite heavy to run on player. I am waiting for that four camera system. Or I build it myself. Anyway I just purchased the cheap mini 0906 as my old DOD 430W is not very reliable anymore. I'll test that SooCoo and probably assemble a twin dashcams for side view.

Back