GT550W won't save date/time settings or auto-start

patzan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought a GT550w without GPS. I plug it into my lighter plug for power. When I first used it, it would power up with the ignition every time, but now I have to manually turn it on (top button) each time I start the car. I have heard that this may have to do with cold weather, but it even does it after the car interior is warmed up well. Any advice?

Second, the date/time resets to 1/1/2000 each time I start the car. Thoughts or experience with this?

Last, can someone explain the difference between the loop settings? (off vs 2, 3, 5, minute loops?) I got a "card full" error today with it off and wondering if that was the issue.

Thanks,

The date resetting issue I had with a GT300W earlier this year. Might be a faulty battery. Have you charged it outside of the car using a regular USB cable? Are you using the original cable to power it in the car? Sometimes not using the original cable or a USB adapter that puts out less than 5V/1A can cause issues.
Using 'Off' for a loop setting means that it will fill the card up and stop recording (Not Loop) this is what it did so that's ok. Typically for dash cam use you would set it to loop in 2, 3 or 5 min intervals. This will create separate files and when the card is full the oldest files are deleted.
I don't think the cold has anything to do with it, my cams all start up at -20c without any problems.

Last edited:
Great replies. Thank you. I am using the original cable, but haven't brought it in to charge independently. Maybe a dumb question, but do I need to put a battery in it or what sort of life/type of internal battery does it have?

It has an internal Lipo battery, most cams do. This is also an area where costs are cut and one of the first things to fail.
The battery is mainly used to keep date and time settings and to save the last file before shutdown.
If you are using the original charger with the big red button on the end you should be ok. Try a charge outside the car until the blue light goes off.

hmmm, no charger with a big red button. It came with an HDMI cable, a USB cable, and the cigarette lighter power cord only. Will it charge plugged into the USB? The light is purple and steady right now and my Mac has it connected as a mass storage device. Appreciate your help with this.

This is the standard car charger cable for the GT550WS: In any case, once that purple light goes out it should be charged. I would then set the date and time and leave it for a day and turn it on. If it resets back to 1/1/2000 you probably have a faulty battery. This was my scenario this past summer with a GT300W. Battery was replaced and now the cam can go at least 10 days without powering on and the date/time are retained.

Yeah not well thought out, but it does reduce interference I guess :)

no, it has never run without being plugged into something. Perhaps the battery is bad. I'll try keeping it plugged into the USB tonight. If it doesn't run off battery tomorrow, I'll try to get an exchange. Thanks for the help.

no, it has never run without being plugged into something. Perhaps the battery is bad. I'll try keeping it plugged into the USB tonight. If it doesn't run off battery tomorrow, I'll try to get an exchange. Thanks for the help.

unplug it, turn it on, how long does it run for, does it run at all?

if it runs charge it up and leave it a few hours and try it again from battery

It will charge via USB, the light should go out in an hour or so. Good luck.

unplug it, turn it on, how long does it run for, does it run at all?

if it runs charge it up and leave it a few hours and try it again from battery
Won't power on without being plugged in. I'll try charging over night.

Who was your seller?

Got it off Amazon. Battery didn't charge at all overnight. Returning today. Any suggestions for a replacement? Same one, different one? Looking to spend about $100 again.

Take a look at the GT680W all black version. Similar internals smaller size.

advice taken. GT550W returned, GT680W all black ordered. Thanks for everyone's help.

This is the standard car charger cable for the GT550WS: In any case, once that purple light goes out it should be charged. I would then set the date and time and leave it for a day and turn it on. If it resets back to 1/1/2000 you probably have a faulty battery. This was my scenario this past summer with a GT300W. Battery was replaced and now the cam can go at least 10 days without powering on and the date/time are retained.

Gurkha9

How do you change the battery on the GT550W?

Pathfinder

Back