Max supported SD Card size

crawhe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 512 GW & RC
Got a 512GW recently and got a 128 GB card to go with it. I have had a few issues with the SD Card becoming corrected and needing to be reformatted.

One of my thoughts is that perhaps 128 GB is not supported. Looking back at Amazon (where i got the camera) and saw that it said 128 GB is supported (I had read this before the purchase). Though, on the nextbase website, it says that the 512 GW supports a maximum of 64 GB.

Which one is it? 64 GB or 128 GB

TLDR: What is the maximum supprted SD card size on the 512 GW, 64 GB? or 128 GB?

NOTE: I am using the latest version of firmware that was available at the time on Thursday.

Last edited:
I'm sure others have reported using 128GB cards without issue, not all cards are created equally though, what card are you using?

I’m using a Samsung evo 128gb micro sd card on my 412gw with the masters firmware for a week or so now and haven’t come across any issues

Thanks, everyone for the help. Looks like I've got an issue with the SD Card. It came from Amazon, so unlikely to be a fake one, but still having issues.
This is the one that I was using, it was recommended in a review I read of the 512. Though looking around online a bit further now, I've ordered this one.

Try looking on SCAN or MYMEMORY

I don't think I need u3 for two 1080p feeds. Defo for 4k I'd say.

Yes, U3 is aimed at 4K and still cameras in 'burst mode'.

Video camera manufacturers seem to recommend either class 10, U1 or U3, so what continual use DashCams 'really' need is a mystery. You don't tend to use a video camera for many hours continual shooting like a DC is sometimes asked to do.

If you're not sure that Amazon have sent out a genuine card (as already mentioned) then use a utility like h2testw to put it through its paces.

I got my Samsung 128Gb from Scan because they are listed by Samsung as official retailers. I've used mine for a number of 4 hour journeys and it's been faultless.

This is the place to go.
https://www.scan.co.uk/

My card is;
128GB Samsung EVO Plus MicroSDXC Memory Card, Class 10, UHS-I Class 3 (U3), 100MB/s Read, 90MB/s Write, Adapter Included
Cost me £48 ------- and it operates faultlessly in my 512GW

(buy right - buy once).

Here is what Tiffany has told be regarding my card above.

"Unfortunately the version of Samsung SD card you are using is not compatible with continuously recording devices like CCTV cameras and dashcams.
Only the Endurance Pro Samsung SD cards are compatible with CCTV cameras and dashcams"

Buy wrong, buy twice......:rolleyes:

Anyone wish to make an offer for a slightly used 128GB Evo Plus (purchased from Scan.co.uk)

So the one you mentioned in post #12 doesn't work or just not recommended?

Defo works, it's the one I have. Not sure about 'compatibility' think question might be about how long the card might function.

Only £32 on Amazon by the way. An Endurance Pro is twice the cost.

Not sure what their view is of the one I linked up. I got it for like £20 in a sale. Seems to work fine.

SDcard's seem to be a minefield. Some have a specific make and model working perfectly whilst others have problems with it.

Wherever you look, different sites praise and denounce various cards and there doesn't seem to be one clear consistent winner.

I got a Samsung 128Gb U3 card from Scan that can read/write around the 90mbps mark. Never had any issues but if you read some online reviews they say that the fast cards can cause overheating and dashcams should be fed a U1 card that has a max read/write of about 50mbps to slow it down a bit !

One thing that is consistent though is the number of underperforming fakes being sold, even from Amazon, so if you're having issues with a card test it's real speed and capacity with one of the available PC tools.

I bought my EVO Plus card from Scan.co.uk in January this year.
It has worked fine in the front cam ever since.
Recently I hardwired the rear cam.
Before I installation I checked the cameras where operating together and they were.
But when they were fitted inside the car only the front cam would operate.
I contacted Tiffany and she requested pics of my card and her reply is posted above.
Ordered PRO card advised (Scan £65+p&p) and it will be delivered 16.00 today.

PRO and EVO Plus comparison
PRO - UHS-1 Class 1 (U1) Class 10, 100MB/s Read, 30MB/s Write. (Only compatible card for dash cams)
EVO - UHS-1 Class 3 (U1) Class 10, 100MB/s Read, 90MB/s Write. (Not compatible)

Differences = PRO is Class 1, writes 60MB/s slower.

It seems odd that the PRO writes slower yet it is advised for high speed cameras but can perhaps be explained by Kemmen's post above.

NB
Just to confuse things even more a PRO PLUS card is due out soon :rolleyes:

:(

Last edited:
Hmm, my card is a Sammy Evo Plus U3. In use when I only had the 512gw and still in use after adding the rear cam. Had no issues.

Somewhat surprised that the possible write speed of the card can be an issue would have thought the bus speed of the camera would be limiting factor.

Surprises me as well.

I've run my Sammy for a 4 hour run once without issue so mine isn't causing overheating.

Back