CPL for B1W dashcam available now!

I will pass as i am using my B1W as a cabin cam, and no CPL needed for that.

But new filter look good (y)

Thanks Mate! bought 2!

Any idea on where and when we'll be able to purchase these? I am assuming it will be a while before test videos come out due to shipping times.
Will be available on Amazon, and just wait for a few days more!

Interested in to test and make a review with pictures and videos. If anyone don't have time or will refuse at last, I will do it for them :)

I send a PM just in case any last unit become avaible.

Thanks for this great upgrade :)

Any idea on where and when we'll be able to purchase these? I am assuming it will be a while before test videos come out due to shipping times.

I was expecting the same, eBay said it would take a month in shipping- but mine actually landed in my mailbox today! :D
@estore009 shipped these out FAST! (y)(y)

We have company over, so I won’t have time to really test things for a few days... but the initial results look very promising!

Initial quick quick reactions:
They are made out of aluminum, and nicely machined! I was expecting plastic, so this was a nice surprise.

The fit is a simple press-fit, snug over the outer part of the B1W lens, and it seems plenty secure.

The polarizer is thin enough that you can install it without removing the B1W from your windshield. It is much more convenient to remove the camera first though, as it is easier to see how it aligns.

In addition, the thin depth should be good news for anyone with the B1W in a tight space- it still leaves plenty of clearance against the windshield.

The polarizer appears to be machined symmetrical, however, the B1W is tapered toward the ends. This means that if you press the polarizer on all the way, it will sit crooked on the camera. Instead, to keep the filter glass parallel, you have to push it on straight until just the inner side makes contact, leaving a small gap on the outer side. Not a big deal, but perhaps the machining could be adjusted (different on the two sides) for future production to make installation more foolproof.

Based on the attachment mechanism, my gut feeling is that you probably wouldn’t want to remove and reinstall this repeatedly. So I’m going to have to see what it does to the video quality at night.

So far, I’ve only just looked at the app while sitting in my driveway, and I didn’t have full sun on the car. But the reduction in glare is immediately noticeable. It’s a huge improvement. I did notice a small drop in sharpness, but I bet the dramatic reduction in glare will more than make up for it.

Thanks again to @estore009 for developing and sending these out!
More to come in a few days...

I was expecting the same, eBay said it would take a month in shipping- but mine actually landed in my mailbox today! :D
@estore009 shipped these out FAST! (y)(y)

We have company over, so I won’t have time to really test things for a few days... but the initial results look very promising!

Initial quick quick reactions:
They are made out of aluminum, and nicely machined! I was expecting plastic, so this was a nice surprise.

The fit is a simple press-fit, snug over the outer part of the B1W lens, and it seems plenty secure.

The polarizer is thin enough that you can install it without removing the B1W from your windshield. It is much more convenient to remove the camera first though, as it is easier to see how it aligns.

In addition, the thin depth should be good news for anyone with the B1W in a tight space- it still leaves plenty of clearance against the windshield.

The polarizer appears to be machined symmetrical, however, the B1W is tapered toward the ends. This means that if you press the polarizer on all the way, it will sit crooked on the camera. Instead, to keep the filter glass parallel, you have to push it on straight until just the inner side makes contact, leaving a small gap on the outer side. Not a big deal, but perhaps the machining could be adjusted (different on the two sides) for future production to make installation more foolproof.

Based on the attachment mechanism, my gut feeling is that you probably wouldn’t want to remove and reinstall this repeatedly. So I’m going to have to see what it does to the video quality at night.

So far, I’ve only just looked at the app while sitting in my driveway, and I didn’t have full sun on the car. But the reduction in glare is immediately noticeable. It’s a huge improvement. I did notice a small drop in sharpness, but I bet the dramatic reduction in glare will more than make up for it.

Thanks again to @estore009 for developing and sending these out!
More to come in a few days...
How long did it take from shipping to arriving?

Normally 7~15days for delivery to the USA!

How long did it take from shipping to arriving?
Normally 7~15days for delivery to the USA!

Yep! Of course for things traveling this far, the time zone differences can change things a bit... I bought a handful of extra mounting feet as well, so I made that purchase on eBay at about 11pm on Aug 1, and by 3am on Aug 9, the package was at my local post office. So it was less than 8 days total! (y)

Not sure, might available on Amazon next week!

I received my free sample of the cpl filter for the b1w and made a comparison video. It contains three sections: 1. daylight no cpl, 2. daylight, cpl attached, 3. nighttime, cpl attached.

https://bigloaf-peertube.ddns.net/videos/watch/9c4947f5-78b6-4a66-9e29-ee9d71daed27

I think it does the job well enough in my car in all conditions and I will definitely keep it installed. It's hard to be objective, when you get something for free, but I think the video speaks for itself. I think most reflections from the dashboard are removed by the cpl just as intended. The filter fits well to the camera and is easy to clip onto it. I was not sure which way was up when attaching the filter, but I guess I either fit it the correct way or it does not matter, as it seems to work as intended. I would like to know if the filter effects the readability of number plates, but it's very hard to test.

Last edited:
Huge improvement with glare with the polarizer off vs on. The part itself is built of some type of metal I was expecting plastic but its not. Lens seems to be glass again not plastic. Worth the money to pick one up to cut out that glare. First photo shows my dash glare without and 2nd photo shows with polarizer on. As you can see the first photo has that huge overexposed spot from glare from my dash, might be potential to maybe miss a plate while driving. The polarizer photo I would have no problem getting a plate number. Dont mind the blue tint you see. I have my camera mount all the way high up on my windshield behind the upper tint. I like it there because its hidden and you cant see it from outside the car. I do have to remove the polarizer for night driving as because mine is behind the tint and its a bit to dark. I do not get the issue where the camera is showing a light and dark video like that one person was getting. I am guessing just because of how I have it aimed.

@estore009

nothing.jpgpolarizer.jpg

I would like to know if the filter effects the readability of number plates, but it's very hard to test.
The only noticeable difference is that in darker conditions there is twice the amount of motion blur because the CPL removes half the light. This can make plates unreadable when they would be OK without it, but in brighter conditions or at slower speeds removing the reflections can make the plates readable when otherwise they wouldn't have been. So it is the same as any CPL filter, possibly you might want to take it off for the winter if your reflections are not too bad, if the reflections are bad then leave it on all year.

Well, I'm liking the filter. I keep forgetting to do night comparisons, but it certainly seems to clean up the video nicely during the day. Definitely need to get some more.

Image1.jpg
Image3.jpg
Image3a.jpg
Image3b.jpg

Looking for this in aliexpress... still not available.

Well, I noticed my first hiccup. With the CPL on, it's difficult to slide the camera off the adhesive mount. I'll have to file down the leading edge off the mount about a millimeter, maybe 2. Anyone else notice this?

Well, I noticed my first hiccup. With the CPL on, it's difficult to slide the camera off the adhesive mount. I'll have to file down the leading edge off the mount about a millimeter, maybe 2. Anyone else notice this?
No, and I've removed it several times since fitting the CPL.

Must depend on the angle of the glass; do you have it mounted on vertical glass?

Back